Amazonian Animal Pack and Release Date

In my opinion an Amazonian Animal Pack seems fairly likely as the next DLC. I would hope the update would feature polished climbing mechanics, as four of these animals spend quite a bit, if not all their time in the trees. Thoughts?
Here's my list:
1. Capybara
2. Maned Wolf
3. Golden-Lion/Emperor Tamarin
4. South American Coati
5. Sloth (Any Species)
6. Black Howler Monkey
7. Greater Rhea
8. Caiman Lizard (What I Would Like. Could Be Anything.)

1. Update 1.9 Feature Teaser: March 10th

2. Update 1.9 Announcement: March 16th

3. DLC Announcement: March 17th

4. DLC/Update 1.9 Release Date: March 29th

Well, I would be annoyed if they call this "Amazonian Animal Pack", as four of these species aren't native to the Amazon region. On the other hand, I think species wise it would be a solid pack, even tough I would prefer some more bird species
TIL that black howler monkey lives in savanna regions of South America.

I don't believe it imo. I think the most logical way to introduce the Capybara is in a biome DLC. It's a very strange marketing move to have a "2" like DLC.
Personally I feel something broader would work better, like a Hemisphere Pack. Would also be easier to justify a lack of building options with something so unspecific.

I personally love this animal selection apart from the Greater Rhea as I would personally prefer a emu (might be too late for those though)

In my opinion an Amazonian Animal Pack seems fairly likely as the next DLC. I would hope the update would feature polished climbing mechanics, as four of these animals spend quite a bit, if not all their time in the trees. Thoughts?
Here's my list:
1. Capybara
2. Maned Wolf
3. Golden-Lion/Emperor Tamarin
4. South American Coati
5. Sloth (Any Species)
6. Black Howler Monkey
7. Greater Rhea
8. Caiman Lizard (What I Would Like. Could Be Anything.)

1. Update 1.9 Feature Teaser: March 10th

2. Update 1.9 Announcement: March 16th

3. DLC Announcement: March 17th

4. DLC/Update 1.9 Release Date: March 29th
No idea how likely it is but this not a bad pack you’ve put together.

The issue with doing a specifically Amazonian River Basin pack before we get aviary birds is that such a high diversity of life found there are in fact birds, like macaws and egrets etc. So if you make this pack before we have aviary birds, you're going to have a lot of repetition, like probably a pack where you have 3 different species of new world monkeys.

The issue with doing a specifically Amazonian River Basin pack before we get aviary birds is that such a high diversity of life found there are in fact birds, like macaws and egrets etc. So if you make this pack before we have aviary birds, you're going to have a lot of repetition, like probably a pack where you have 3 different species of new world monkeys.
Solution: next pack aviary, summer pack amazon pack. Such pack could include something as metal as harpy eagle. I think players would go crazy about him.

Last edited:
As much as I don't see them do a pack that's literally called "South America Pack 2", let's also stop pretending as if sequels and similar(ly named) products are impossible to market :p It's done on a daily basis, and it's done successfully so. If Frontier wants to make animal packs for Australia and South America, they'll find a way to make it work. There are professional marketing teams to handle such things.

When looking at their track record of the past year, animal packs for those two regions surely fit within Frontiers strategy. Animal Packs started as a response to the criticism that packs didn't have enough animals and the biggest criticism both the SA and the Aus pack faced was that people wanted more animals from those regions.

Combine that all with the fact that Frontier has actively tried to give the community the things they wanted in the past year, it's honestly not such a big leap at all for them to try to remedy those criticisms with more animal packs. Especially as there are also a hell of a lot South American and Australian animals in the meta-wishlist, there clearly is a market that wants more animals from that region.

That doesn't meant that they're guaranteed though, but they would fit nicely within the the strategy of catering to their community as they did last year. A strategy that gave them 14% growth. So it's a pretty successful one for sure.

Last edited:
As much as I don't see them do a pack that's literally called "South America Pack 2", let's also stop pretending as if sequels and similar(ly named) products are impossible to market :p It's done on a daily basis, and it's done successfully so. If Frontier wants to make animal packs for Australia and South America, they'll find a way to make it work. There are professional marketing teams to handle such things.
My doubt isn't that they could do it, but whether they will do it, especially next. In saying that, I wouldn't be at all opposed to a repeat of Year One in animal pack form. Start with South America, then Australia, then Aquatic, and finish with the Arctic again (though it might be hard to find seven habitat species for the Arctic now - wolverine, muskox, snow goose, walrus, um...).

My doubt isn't that they could do it, but whether they will do it, especially next. In saying that, I wouldn't be at all opposed to a repeat of Year One in animal pack form. Start with South America, then Australia, then Aquatic, and finish with the Arctic again (though it might be hard to find seven habitat species for the Arctic now - wolverine, muskox, snow goose, walrus, um...).
In all honesty, I don't expect it to be next either; it was a general statement more than anything. I still kinda expect that birds might be the next thing (aquatics took them a year as they mentioned IIRC, so I expected flight to take a similar amount of time), but I can also see another tropical region based animal pack.

I still am very confident that we'll get a repeat of the animal pack vs scenery pack strategy of last year though. It seemed to have been a very successful strategy as the majority of the packs were for the most part well to very well received.

I still am very confident that we'll get a repeat of the animal pack vs scenery pack strategy of last year though. It seemed to have been a very successful strategy as the majority of the packs were for the most part well to very well received.
So am I.

It's funny, I both love and hate that we have no real idea of what is coming next. It's fun because it's going to be a surprise, but I'm the kind of person who enjoys watching movie trailers and reading casting news and script leaks; it's kind of the same thing with PZ, I like to have an idea of what's coming. So far it seems to be a whole lot of random stuff in the files, much of which could be scrapped content for other packs, some of which could be content coming in the next pack, nobody seems to know.

and finish with the Arctic again (though it might be hard to find seven habitat species for the Arctic now - wolverine, muskox, snow goose, walrus, um...).
  • Arctic Hare
  • Bearded Seal
  • Common Eider or King Eider
  • Moor Frog or Siberian Wood Frog would be nice as Exhibit Animal

It seems likely to me that the next DLC will have the highly requested capybara and maned wolf. Maned wolves are not historically Amazonian (they live in the Cerrado), but their range appears to be expanding northwards into the Amazon (human destruction of the rain forest and climate change is thought to be responsible), so they could ostensibly be included in an Amazon pack. There could also be a more generic tropics animal pack, or even a "neotropics" pack if the future direction is to be biome focused instead of continental. Tropical biomes are more than just rain forests.

Capybara do have a huge range that includes the Cerrado region as well as the Amazon.

Last edited:
It seems likely to me that the next DLC will have the highly requested capybara and maned wolf. Maned wolves are not historically Amazonian (they live in the Cerrado), but their range appears to be expanding northwards into the Amazon (human destruction of the rain forest and climate change is thought to be responsible), so they could ostensibly be included in an Amazon pack. There could also be a more generic tropics animal pack, or even a "neotropics" pack if the future direction is to be biome focused instead of continental. Tropical biomes are more than just rain forests.

Capybara do have a huge range that includes the Cerrado region as well as the Amazon.
Agree with this. Unless they bring us flying birds or fully marine animals, it would make the most sense to market towards where the money (requests) are. The Capybara is far and away the most requested animal on the meta list but certainly not the only one from South America. The only other two location possibilities I could see well received at this particular quarter would be something focusing on all of Asia or an Oceania animal pack. I think while other locales are still missing important animals, essentially they've been covered recently enough that revisiting at this time is not the best marketing strategy.

Of course, that's going with locale. Which they may stick with. If they go for biomes, I still think Rainforests/Tropical/whatevertheywanttocallit would be high on the list for introducing this kind of pack.

Top Bottom