Hardware & Technical AMD Zen 4 Reviews

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Just spotted the first review of an AMD Zen 4 CPU (that I have encountered) - the 7600X - here:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaJXZMOMPU

.... and another:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WubXd2tXOA+

.... and again:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQHPE3Z4kmA

.... and there's more:

Last edited:
Only surprising thing about the launch is how good AVX-512 is on the Zen 4. I was expecting less performance here as Zen 4 takes two cycles for it to execute 512-bit instructions as opposed to a single cycle for Golden Cove. Not that it would have mattered much for most consumers as Intel disabled AVX-512 functionality on it's consumer parts, making Zen 4 the only choice here on a mainstream platform.

Rest is pretty much as leaks and AMD themselves showed or implied. Some thermal issues (IHS is way too thick, to maintain cooler compatibility) at unconstrained power settings, but efficiency is extreme when power capped. Latency is also concern with the decoupled and rather low frequency FCLK, which evidently limits gaming gains. However, it's a content creation monster.

Probably wouldn't recommend the current line up as gaming CPUs and the platform evidently has some early firmware issues, but anyone who was looking at a 5900X, 5950X, or 12900-anything before will probably find the 7900X or 7950X very tempting. Gamers and those who don't need AVX-512 will probably want to either stick with their existing platforms, wait for the v-cache variants of Raphael and see how Raptor Lake competes.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Succumbed to temptation (again) and I have a 7900X and Noctua NH-D15S on order and an ASUS Prime X670-P on pre-order. Short of a GPU, I'll have everything I need to fill the new case (Fractal Design Define R6) on the arrival of the new components.

Succumbed to temptation (again) and I have a 7900X and Noctua NH-D15S on order and an ASUS Prime X670-P on pre-order. Short of a GPU, I'll have everything I need to fill the new case (Fractal Design Define R6) on the arrival of the new components.
I am looking to build a completely new machine to rebuild my ageing 5930K, so I will be interested in what you think.

I have been pretty much set on Zen4 for a while, although I need to do a little more reasearch, I will be waiting for the new ATX 3.0/PCIe5 PSU's to come out though so my build wont probably happen until next year.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Again succumbed to "I'd like a new component sooner" - so cancelled the pre-order for the ASUS Prime X670-P (as it still was not in stock) and ordered an Asrock X670E PG Lightning, which arrives on Monday.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Pleasantly surprised by the carrier - they brought forward the Monday delivery to this afternoon.

Mechanical side of the build is now complete (without GPU) - now to migrate "all the things" over from what is now my son's PC.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Indeed - the onboard graphics did fine - a pleasant addition, in terms of not having to have a second GPU or needing to remove it from the old PC when setting up the new one.

On first boot the DDR5-6000 was at 4800 then I selected the XMP 6000 settings in BIOS and it worked flawlessly.

I had read reports about the sticker over the RAM sockets leaving residue on ASRock and some other boards - thankfully none from the sticker I removed, although the board was at about 10°C to 15°C (straight out of the carrier's van).

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Stock: Cinebench r23: single-core: 2,027 pts; multi-core: 28,648 pts.
PBO all core curve negative 20: Cinebench r23: single-core: 2,037 pts; multi-core: 29,441 pts.

Significant increase when compared to my 3900X / DDR4-3600 combo (single-core: 1,253 pts; multi-core: 17,073 pts).

A side effect of the onboard graphics is that I can't install 22.5.1 :( - so I'll have to make do with 22.9.2 or later (22.10.1 has just released - so I'm giving that a try).

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Re-ran the Superposition benchmark in 720p Low / 1080p Extreme / 4K Optimised, with the same RX 6800 as was in the 3900X build.

The 7900x got 40,904 / 8,577 / 12,401 vs the 3900X with 25,392 / 8,242 / 11,658, increases of 61.9% / 4.1% / 6.4% respectively.

Top Bottom