Horizons Anaconda or Corvette ?

I currently have 7 ships in my fleet :- Imperial Eagle, Cobra MkIII, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Imperial Clipper, Python, Anaconda.

The Eagle, Cobra, Vulture and Python are A-rated. The Anaconda is set up for trading with a current tonnage of 436.

I enjoy combat and of course making money :) So I am now in a position where I have the liquid assets (735mCR) to buy and A-rate one of the bigger ships (Corvette or Cutter).

I am wondering which way to turn though. I have several options on the table right now.

1) A-Rate the Anaconda for combat and buy a Cutter for maximum trading (792t) which looks like it will cost 300mill more to refit the 'Conda and 260mill to build the Cutter

2) Keep the Anaconda for trading (436t) and buy an A-Rated Corvette for Combat at a cost of 520mCR

In both cases I will likely sell the Clipper which comes in at around 22mCR

Is the Corvette really worth a 520mCR refit just so I can take ships down quicker ? The jump range is naff as we all know. So the Anaconda would surely do just as well, especially with 3.5x more hull strength in my config.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
In your position, I would refit the Anaconda for combat, an purchase a Cutter for trading.

The Cutter is unbeatable at trading and a trading build won't cost you that much in outfitting.

Anaconda and Corvette seem somewhat equivalent in combat, with the Corvette maybe being marginally better. Thi will probably change once 2.1 lands and suddenly there will be way better options for those twin huge hardpoints in the Corvette though.

Do you have beta access -> If so try them in upcoming 2.1 beta.

If not the Corvette does combat well but little else, it relies on the skill of it's pilot to hit with the huge hardpoints. If you are lacking huge hardpoint skill go Anaconda combat.
Cutter does trading and mining very well but can't turn too well. Great for shield tanking too but overall limited in combat by it's manoeuvrability.

Conda is your jack of all trades with jump range and versatility.

Summary:
Trading/Mining - Cutter
Missions/exploring/other - Conda
Combat - Corvette or Conda

With new huge hardpoints coming soon my vote would go to Corvette since I hate trading (mining is ok but not something for months on end). Your opinion may differ on your preferences though. I'd keep the Clipper anyway, for 22mil it's really not burning much of your budget and it is a great ship once upgraded.

Get a Cutter. It's got a beautiful bridge and really feels like you are flying a huge ship. In VR it's really immersive.

It's the fleet builder deluxe, nothing matches it's ability to make money.

The Corvette is kinda frustrating. I've owned 2 and sold both of them.

The only reason to have a corvette in the hangar is to use it as a rack for storing all your high-class / value modules - I use mine for nothing else, it is absolute pants to fly.

Cutter for just raking in money

FAS to kill stuff

Anaconda for everything else

(except for outposts where Asp for distance, python for defence)

Oh and clipper - looks really great when you blow one up, can't think of any other reason it is in the game. ;)

On a parting note - I absolutely hate the look / layout / graphics on the cutter bridge (presumably it is over-optimised for people who have boxes strapped to their faces), it is rubbish but you just have to live with that to haul the tonnage (the sound when you boost is neat though).

I LOVED my Corvette! My most used ship in the game and hands down my favorite. I never liked the Anaconda as much and mainly used one for cargo CGs until I bought a Cutter. The Cutter is an okay ship but not even close to being in the same league as the Federal Corvette. (XB1 version)

Having just recently started playing the PC version of Horizons on my new PC build, I had to start over from scratch, and not having my faithful Vette under me is most distressing! And based on the crappy low paying BB missions I have been getting so far, I probably won't be seeing a Corvette on this account for a good year! :(

Fingers crossed that the new Mission System actually offers some decent payouts! Otherwise, I am totally screwed! :(

Last edited:
Right I got the Cutter and kitted it out for trade. I reckon in a week or so I`ll have traded enough to make all that money back. Then it's on to refitting the 'Conda for combat.
I have been tempted by the FAS I must say. I'm sure at some stage I`ll be getting one of those also.

The Corvette handles really well. I can't stand flying the Anaconda but I enjoy flying the Corvette. I'd say it handles better than an FDL. The only problem with it is it's slow (but what can you expect, it's a big ship) and the low jump range. Blasting something in the face with 2 huge PAs is exactly as much fun as you think it is.

The Corvette handles really well. I can't stand flying the Anaconda but I enjoy flying the Corvette. I'd say it handles better than an FDL. The only problem with it is it's slow (but what can you expect, it's a big ship) and the low jump range. Blasting something in the face with 2 huge PAs is exactly as much fun as you think it is.

If you haven't tried running C3 Beam Lasers and Multi-Cannons on the Vette, I strongly suggest you do! The power management on the Corvette is so robust that you can totally lay on the Beam Laser trigger for 3 times longer than any other ship in the game. This combo has always been my go-to load out, but when installed on the Vette, it is an incredible weapons system.

OP - TLDR: Fit the Anaconda for combat and buy the Cutter for bulk trading

I have all three. Right now the situation for me is this:

The Anaconda is the best all-rounder of the three: I use it if I want to wander the galaxy for a while, taking some missions, doing a bit of combat and exploring planet surfaces on a single loadout.

The Cutter is peerless as a trader. Full disclosure - I don't do much bulk trading, but I do use it for the occasional bulk trade CG if I am in the mood for that kind of thing. I fly it weaponless since the shields are strong and it is fast enough to escape pretty much anything.

The Corvette is the most fun of the three for combat (if fitted with 2 Huge PAs) though not necessarily the most efficient in terms of cr/h. Since I prefer combat in smaller ships, mine is mostly stored (unused) at the moment. I'm keeping it because though, because I think it has the most potential for improvement over the next few releases (2.1 - huge weapons, 2.2 fighters, 2.3 multi crew). Also IMO it is the best looking ship.

Top Bottom