Elite / Frontier And now, from the beating-a-dead-horse department,

So, I thought of another reason to hope for a Linux [and Mac] port of Elite 4: Microsoft Windows Vista

Can you -imagine- the crushing hardware requirements you'll need to play something as resource intensive as E4 is bound to be with an OS whose "sweet spot", according to reviews, is 4GB of RAM??

If i'm going to be running a system with 4GB of RAM which isn't a server, I'd like to dedicate most of it to turning up as many graphics, texture caches, and environment details as possible!

Not that there won't be a Windows version, to be sure.. =)

another $0.02,
-m

Sadly, I think Frontier is a Microsoft only shop. This means they will use DirectX instead of OpenGL, so it won't be even the slightest bit portable - so unfortunately, this probably means I won't be playing E4 when (if) it does come out. If it doesn't run on Linux or Mac, I don't use it. Windows (and Microsoft software in general) is just too expensive for just one game. (Did you know you can now buy a complete Mac system for less than the retail price of MS Office Professional these days? Incredible. Load it with NeoOffice/J. Other rants aside, the huge expense of MS software if you're not an OEM or business means I just don't want to know about it).

You can always run Vista on your intel Mac remember

That's not the issue - the issue is that Vista is hugely expensive unless you're an OEM, and I don't think it's worth spending all that money just for one game. I'd rather spend the money on hardware (and I refuse to pirate Vista). The licensing terms for Vista are pretty appalling too if you ever want to build some new hardware.

Top Bottom