Animation Distortion

I have been using Blender and I have tried everything I can to get this fixed but no success. My animated object distorts badly and stretches out unnaturally. I have applied transforms, applied delta transforms, removed location keyframes and I only have rotation recorded in every keyframe. I still get the same erratic motion. I'm using FBX 7.4 binary export with Blender. The armature seems to have its bones parented as it really should be and I do not have the armature parented to the model(s). I do have the animation modifier on every LOD.

All your problems sound a lot like the 3Ds Max issues, are you sure you're using Blender? :)
If so, can you give some details as to what your FBX settings are?
There might be a common denominator.

All your problems sound a lot like the 3Ds Max issues, are you sure you're using Blender? :)
If so, can you give some details as to what your FBX settings are?
There might be a common denominator.
My export settings are, for Blender 2.7..
FBX 7.4 binary
Z forward Y up
Path mode, auto
Scale 1.0
Export all (Empty, Camera, Lamp, Armature, Mesh and Other) and selected objects unchecked
Apply modifiers, smoothing: normals only
Add leaf bones (primary bone axis is Y, secondary is X) armature nodetype is null
And for animation, what's checked is everything (Baked Animation, Key all bones, NLA strips, All actions, force start/end keying)
Sampling rate for animation is 1.0 and simplify is 1.0

I have tried 6.1 ASCII export also, which results in the desired animation but no textures/my model is solid white.

Also! Have you tried importing your fbx back into the modeling program you use? Does it look normal? Re importing into Blender results in it looking 100% like it should. This leads me to believe the TMT conversion process is bugged.

@MsRedNebula I'm sure you can make something of this.

Yes, the animations work normally when i reimport them, even into other tools.
What seems to happen with my issues is, the animation keysteps and orientation are somehow misinterpreted, ususally the first keystep is 30 degrees off angle, the bone orientation seems to be falsely interpreted as well, also the keyframes are truncated in steps and shortened in length.
Tried with several bone root approaches, even dummy roots, to no avail. I gave up eventually and am only making static assets for the time being
(the bug occured only since the dec. TMTK update, before that it worked like it was supposed to)

So far the only thing i can see in your FBX settings is the (and i'm not a Blender user)
the force start/end keying and NLA strips. you could test to turn one of those off
but that's just a hunch, no expertise to back that up.

Did you try using a different Blender iteration for the upload? 2.79 or 2.80?

I think the root of all this, and this IS the same bug that occurs with 3Ds Max,
i'm sure now, is they tried to fix something for Blender 2.79, as that'S most commonly used,
and Blender changed some of its mechanics regarding bones and animation.
Which Blender version do you use exactly?

I use 2.78a or b I think, and for export I don't use a higher version. Maybe I'll try that.

Update: I used 2.79b for exporting. It still distorts madly in game!

Last edited:
It does?????
Ok that is weird. The only explanation i could have for that would be the possibility if you reimported it into 2.79 and whatever causes it,
is already rooted in the original fbx export, but works anywhere, just not post-converter.

Hm, i wish some Blender users would jump on the thread, might be interesting.
I will try and do the same with my max animations that i know worked before but not since that update, if i get the same error, there is some translation that seems to go wrong.
I, for long, suspect it's just a single line of code that has a typo somewhere (in the converter tool)
It flips some of the hitboxes, too, even if you do a XForm and collapse it down again.

Hm... any weird distortions I've ever seen have been because of rotations not being applied, especially on the armature. I've usually found the ASCII export to work the best - but I'm not sure why your textures would not be showing up!

Per the User Guide, the export from Blender should be Y-Forward and Z-Up, so perhaps that is causing an issue?

Hm... any weird distortions I've ever seen have been because of rotations not being applied, especially on the armature. I've usually found the ASCII export to work the best - but I'm not sure why your textures would not be showing up!

Per the User Guide, the export from Blender should be Y-Forward and Z-Up, so perhaps that is causing an issue?

I've tried exporting with 7.4 binary with those changes and... nothing. I've tried exporting in 6.1 ASCII again and the material is missing, it just shows up white. So! Both exporting options are bugged!! I can export with correct animations but no material if ASCII, whereas I can have a working material with bad distortion with binary! I have successfully made a flexi color dragon on the 8th of this month, with working animations. This new item I'm having excessive trouble with is not flexi color.

My workflow with this current item involved making animations and then scaling it afterwards. I have applied scale and everything else possible but either way there is no winning.

@LilyValley807 I can so much relate to your frustration, this is how it felt whenever i made an animated asset. Hence, why i eventually gave up on quite a few items. Same goes for Transparency and Specular issues. If you built the item in Blender 2.79 from the ground up, i'm sure it'd work. As i said before, all the way back when TMTK went online, it worked. And since they did some Blender-specific fixes, it seems only Blender 2.79 and upwards work. Everything else doesn't. At least for the aforementioned issues.
So far i didn't bother to try max2020 for any TMTK assets, cause i'm kind of scared i might get back into that frustration hole :(
So i basically have a frozen workflow now. Just doing the stuff i know will go through the converter with little error margin.

I really wish i could help you more!

@LilyValley807 I can so much relate to your frustration, this is how it felt whenever i made an animated asset. Hence, why i eventually gave up on quite a few items. Same goes for Transparency and Specular issues. If you built the item in Blender 2.79 from the ground up, i'm sure it'd work. As i said before, all the way back when TMTK went online, it worked. And since they did some Blender-specific fixes, it seems only Blender 2.79 and upwards work. Everything else doesn't. At least for the aforementioned issues.
So far i didn't bother to try max2020 for any TMTK assets, cause i'm kind of scared i might get back into that frustration hole :(
So i basically have a frozen workflow now. Just doing the stuff i know will go through the converter with little error margin.

I really wish i could help you more!
So I made an entirely new project, much different subject (still animated) but when I export with ASCII the completed TMT is 535 kb, which seems way too small for an animated mesh. I used the binary export twice and it has given me ugcartifactnotfound errors each time.

So I made an entirely new project, much different subject (still animated) but when I export with ASCII the completed TMT is 535 kb, which seems way too small for an animated mesh. I used the binary export twice and it has given me ugcartifactnotfound errors each time.

@LilyValley807 Just to be clear, which Blender version did you use exactly? 2.79 or 2.79b?

I'll post you a few threads, maybe this helps, similar issues as you are having:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/missing-texture-with-no-errors.506727/

I've seen the first one. The new item gives no animation ingame as far as I know.

did you try different binary versions?

if you gave me a couple of weeks i could take some time to look into it and put together a coherent tutorial on ways that would work, with Blender, too.
But i don't think you want to wait this long. Sadly, there are too few creators checking up on these forums regularly, and i'm sure some of them know the solution for you.

It sounds dumb, but my suggestion for you, do the same like i do, concentrate on making assets that you know will work in game. :/

Maybe someone reads this in the coming days and will be able to give a real solution for you.

did you try different binary versions?

if you gave me a couple of weeks i could take some time to look into it and put together a coherent tutorial on ways that would work, with Blender, too.
But i don't think you want to wait this long. Sadly, there are too few creators checking up on these forums regularly, and i'm sure some of them know the solution for you.

It sounds dumb, but my suggestion for you, do the same like i do, concentrate on making assets that you know will work in game. :/

Maybe someone reads this in the coming days and will be able to give a real solution for you.
There are no other binary versions for me to choose with Blender as far as I can tell. Assembling a tutorial sounds like a good idea, but is there a way to let devs know about these problems? Is it worth trying?

You could post a Ticket in the Issue Tracker, and i don't want to bash the Devs, but unless there are enough votes, and the PlanCo section is very empty with voters (mostly ED has the traffic) so it might not do any good, i'd still suggest to at least try.. and with luck @Joël or a CM (don't want to ping everyone) might be seeing this and pass it along maybe, to bring the issue to attention. However, the issues are not new, so he chances are small.

Here's the link to the Issue Tracker:
https://issues.frontierstore.net/

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
You could post a Ticket in the Issue Tracker, and i don't want to bash the Devs, but unless there are enough votes, and the PlanCo section is very empty with voters (mostly ED has the traffic) so it might not do any good, i'd still suggest to at least try.. and with luck @Joël or a CM (don't want to ping everyone) might be seeing this and pass it along maybe, to bring the issue to attention. However, the issues are not new, so he chances are small.

Here's the link to the Issue Tracker:
https://issues.frontierstore.net/
Regarding the "passing it on" comment; I don't oversee the Issue Tracker and am "just" a volunteer forum moderator. I can pass things on to Frontier's Community Management team when it involves the community and/or the forums, but not when it involves issues with the game. Sorry about that.

I hope that the issue will be resolved. :)

Regarding the "passing it on" comment; I don't oversee the Issue Tracker and am "just" a volunteer forum moderator. I can pass things on to Frontier's Community Management team when it involves the community and/or the forums, but not when it involves issues with the game. Sorry about that.

I hope that the issue will be resolved. :)

Ok, still, thank you for your reply! :)

I know it's been awhile and not sure if you figured out your problem but I've been using blender v2.8 and getting the same problem, but I switched to v2.79 exported it out in ASCII 6.1 and works flawlessly with textures. I also had the same texture problem but may have found a solution. make sure to check that you don't have any unused textures or materials in your Blender file.
Capture.PNG

for your materials choose the material you no longer want in the box I circled in red then shift click the "X" to permanently delete it. it won't be deleted immediately it will still show up in the list but with a "0" before it's name, you'll have to save your blender file and re open it and it will no longer be there. same goes for your texture files. I don't think it effects the fbx export but I do it just in case. I circled it in blue, just do the same thing as with the materials. I guess when exporting the fbx the material stays and I guess the TMTK gets confused and uses all the materials that are there and since they don't have "_BC" files to go with them the mesh comes up white in the game, thats my guess anyway.

Top Bottom