Elite / Frontier Aniso's Mods

There are two versions of GLFFE, an "original" one and one that has "Aniso's mods".

Does anyone know what the modded version changed? I know some of the starting equipment etc changed but what else? Anyone know where I can find a complete change list?

For the change list for Anisotropic's mod, go here: http://www.geocities.com/anisotropic20/ and download the zip file for the latest mod. The changes are recorded in a readme file in that zip archive.

In summary the changes are:
- Lots of bugs fixed.
- Changes to trading so prices reflect danger of system, BBS contacts will only take a limited amount of cargo and pirates will scan you to see what cargo you have.
- Contracts pay more but also have more risk.
- Destroyed ships drop all their cargo, radar mapper tells you what cargo a ship is carrying.
- All the "classic" Elite ships were made better.
- Shields weakened so they only protect against 85% of incoming damage.
- Missiles balanced, small ones are fast but easily jammed, large ones are more resilient but can be outrun.

I tried the modded game, I just didnt much like the way the ships had changed. I like the sound of the rest of it tho.

Crayfish said:
For the change list for Anisotropic's mod, go here: http://www.geocities.com/anisotropic20/ and download the zip file for the latest mod. The changes are recorded in a readme file in that zip archive.

In summary the changes are:
- Lots of bugs fixed.
- Changes to trading so prices reflect danger of system, BBS contacts will only take a limited amount of cargo and pirates will scan you to see what cargo you have.
- Contracts pay more but also have more risk.
- Destroyed ships drop all their cargo, radar mapper tells you what cargo a ship is carrying.
- All the "classic" Elite ships were made better.
- Shields weakened so they only protect against 85% of incoming damage.
- Missiles balanced, small ones are fast but easily jammed, large ones are more resilient but can be outrun.

Thanks! :)

I tried it but gave up on it almost right away cos I didnt like the way all the ships had loads of hull and cargo space. Ship and equipment prices were increased to balance the increased income from trading/missions but most equipment (including drives) took up the same space so it was possible to greatly equip even the smallest craft. And military drives became pointless since you didnt save much cargo space by using them.

Also, for some unknown reason, you were given a military drive at the start. So you could make loads of money instantly by selling this and getting the regular kind instead (or you could swop the Saker with class 2 Mi Drive for a Cobra with a regular drive which was cheaper!).

I decided to do my own bit of modding instead. I hex-edited the glfee executable and used some of the better ideas from the aniso mod, e.g. I set missiles to zero mass, and increased their prices. I also fixed the total mass, and capacity of the Panther. They are the wrong way round by default (capacity was greater than the fully laden mass!)

*hmm, I couldnt spell swop with an "a" because w.a.p. is censored!?!

Last edited:
scowie said:
I decided to do my own bit of modding instead. I hex-edited the glfee executable and used some of the better ideas from the aniso mod, e.g. I set missiles to zero mass, and increased their prices. I also fixed the total mass, and capacity of the Panther. They are the wrong way round by default (capacity was greater than the fully laden mass!)

Yup, that's the way I improve my FFE experience too; make a few hex edits. Not to make the game easier, just more the way I want it.

Whilst I have respect for Aniso's mods, they didn't sit right with me...

I tried it but gave up on it almost right away cos I didnt like the way all the ships had loads of hull and cargo space. Ship and equipment prices were increased to balance the increased income from trading/missions but most equipment (including drives) took up the same space so it was possible to greatly equip even the smallest craft. And military drives became pointless since you didnt save much cargo space by using them.

I think that the Anisotropic mod is fairly wrecked in enjoyment by the large cargo sizes. Most of the other changes are fundamentally sound, in my opinion, e.g. the fact that ships release more (in this case, all) of their cargo when they are destroyed, making piracy a better job, the fact that A.I. ships are more logically equipped - although this only really works with the "shields don't completely protect you" system, the fact that more traders are encountered, the fact that ship exchanges give you the full price of the ship plus equipment, etc.

If I were able to program and hex-edit, I'd institute many of the Aniso modifications, but I wouldn't make the ships so large.

damn, i've just realised that there is a problem with the way I set missiles to zero mass...
My ship still gains 1t of capacity when a missile is fired!

Looks like I will have to put them back to 1t.
Unless anyone knows what address to hex-edit to stop this?

Top Bottom