News ANNOUNCING ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
for those people who think the cost of the DLC is too high, consider buying the lifetime pass... given a 10 year lifespan, that would be about 13 pounds per year or 18 USD per year of (in my case 25 AUD per year)

Much better than buying each years expansions IMHO...

Yes it is a lot of cash to outlay in one hit and on the premise that frontier release new expansions each year, but I have faith and I would spend more than that on games in that 10 years...

- - - Updated - - -

Well looks like I did good when I bought the lifetime expansion pass a long time ago. Saved a ton of money with that choice. :D

I just brought mine yesterday :D I am so happy FD made it available for us to buy into :)

They want to add it. And then they sit down with the coding and find it just isn't workable. Then people think they've lied. No they weren't able to bring to fruition a feature they wanted to add.

I don't think things like that "aren't" workable, so much as they don't add a (massive) amount to the game in the shorter term. Dev priority looks more to give us new environment, get us down to the planets, and up the ante in missions (eg. SRV recon, can be extended). I'm massively encouraged by Horizons myself. FD have only got two hands but they haven't been idle while we've been playing the core of the game. Big plus one to the devs from me and yes, expansion pass = good deal. Great deal if you add in the beta for life too.

Well, I won't be purchasing the Lifetime Expansion Pass. I want to keep supporting FD. If I do the LEP then the only money I send them is for paint jobs. I understand that this game costs a lot of money to write, maintain and update and I choose to continue supporting them because I've gotten my money's worth at least twice over and that's being conservative. But for those who don't feel they can afford $60.00 (or maybe $90 a year in Australia) a year, the Expansion pass is a great deal.

I won't be pre-ordering and will not touch Horizons until I have seen what it is and how it works in reality.
Time wise I have had my monies worth from ED even if it hasn't fulfilled my expectations, so no complaints on that score, just not sure I want more of the same to be honest
Maybe many will buy it but if it doesn't tick the boxes for players as ED hasn't for many, then they may not find such willing customers next season.
What FD say and produce are not always the same thing players picture in their minds, they have been all excited before only for it to fail to impress many commanders, at the price asked I will wait and see.
I have FO4 on pre-order and am in a few alphas so I think I am good until next year anyway.

Of course, I was talking on the mid and long term

A lot of what they say is "We want to add [insert feature here]". Let's take micro jumps, just for example. "FD: We want to add Micro Jumps in huge systems." People hear that and think they've promised it. No. They want to add it. And then they sit down with the coding and find it just isn't workable. Then people think they've lied. No they weren't able to bring to fruition a feature they wanted to add.

[Disclaimer: FD has, to my knowledge, never released the statement I attributed to them above. It was for example only]

We should not be surprised that Frontier does not communicate extensively about his intentions. This is understandable

We should not be surprised that Frontier does not communicate extensively about his intentions. This is understandable
Yeah, if you're in a situation where you need paying customers to be able to exist it's perfectly understandable that you don't tell them anything and keep them guessing.

You shouldn't be able to see star types in my opinion, for instance neutron stars are one of the best sources of income and you'll find that most of them near hotspots or common routes have been farmed already (in fact you can even tell from the galaxy map if it's just a neutron star or a black hole). I hope that the core game will see some exploration updates and that it isn't limited to any seasonal content.

I think you should. We can easily tell the types of stars on the other end of the galaxy right now based on their spectral emissions. Not seeing star types anywhere in the galaxy over a 1000 year in the future would be silly to the point of immersion breaking. Heck, the way exoplanet detection is going right now in a 1000 years we may know way more than just star types for most of the galaxy.. I'd keep it as is tbh.

Last edited:

A lot of what they say is "We want to add [insert feature here]". Let's take micro jumps, just for example. "FD: We want to add Micro Jumps in huge systems." People hear that and think they've promised it. No. They want to add it. And then they sit down with the coding and find it just isn't workable. Then people think they've lied. No they weren't able to bring to fruition a feature they wanted to add.

[Disclaimer: FD has, to my knowledge, never released the statement I attributed to them above. It was for example only]
What nonsense. Micro jumps are perfectly workable. But there are conflicting pressures that FD are balancing when deciding how to allocate their development resources. They are getting strong pulls from finance to develop stuff that will sell more and thus directly generate revenue. There are pulls on here in all sorts of directions including the 'original audience' screaming for the core game to be fixed, and promises met; the MMO audience wanting all those MMO bits that were not in the original vision, and so on. Someone (Michael, I expect, but with high level overrides from DBOBE), has to juggle to come up with a plan. And whatever the plan is, everyone will be disappointed, but some more than others.

So micro jumps are not there because they have not got high enough up the priorities. I agree with them not being done yet, since there are oodles of things that I find more important. Unfortunately, I find most of what they have done for the last year unimportant.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should. We can easily tell the types of stars on the other end of the galaxy right now based on their spectral emissions. Not seeing star types anywhere in the galaxy over a 1000 year in the future would be silly to the point of immersion breaking. Heck, the way exoplanet detection is going right now in a 1000 years we may know way more than just star types for most of the galaxy.. I'd keep it as is tbh.
we cannot see those stars now - there are far too many other stars in the way.

What is silly is having an environment where every system is known in advance. That leads to stupidities like people getting to Sag A* in less than half a day.

Well, it isn't really in line with the black hole of information known as "Universal" Cartography. Just go sit in a random system in the bubble and check the quality and quantity of the information available to you then in a 50 LY radius (if I recall correctly).

Also, you haven't seen immersion breaking with regards to exploring until you encounter those rectangle-shaped patches of stars.

Last edited:
I don't think things like that "aren't" workable, so much as they don't add a (massive) amount to the game in the shorter term. Dev priority looks more to give us new environment, get us down to the planets, and up the ante in missions (eg. SRV recon, can be extended). I'm massively encouraged by Horizons myself.

Again the pessimist in me would say that the reason is more that there is no money/sales in it which is understandable but disappointing.
Horizons potentially adds 'things to do' which is great but, if it turns out to be more of the same, it won't make ED a richer experience just more expansive.

So this may be finally the part, where i can get up out of the pilots chair, walk to those doors behind be, get in the elevator or cargo bay directly, push the a button to open the doors, and get in my vehicle, and drive out my ship, and get this all in walk around mode, either 3rd peron, or fist person...if that is what's behind all this...then i can see a long cherished wish come true...

i wonder how they are going to generate different surface envirements, having so many planets in the galaxy, i know not all have solid surfaces (gas giants), but that leaves quite a mountain of creative work to be done, or do they use some kind of random algorithm to generate all that different surface content, just as they possibly did with planetairy-systems?...im guessing thats how they did that...i'm not sure

Last edited:
That would be awesome. I want that walking bit in 1st person please. However sadly I'm expecting it'll be close your eyes, wait 2 secs, ahh I'm now in a scarab cockpit! Outside!

The planets will certainly need to be proceedurally generated.

Last edited:
So this may be finally the part, where i can get up out of the pilots chair, walk to those doors behind be, get in the elevator or cargo bay directly, push the a button to open the doors, and get in my vehicle, and drive out my ship, and get this all in walk around mode, either 3rd peron, or fist person...if that is what's behind all this...then i can see a long cherished wish come true...

i wonder how they are going to generate different surface envirements, having so many planets in the galaxy, i know not all have solid surfaces (gas giants), but that leaves quite a mountain of creative work to be done, or do they use some kind of random algorithm to generate all that different surface content, just as they possibly did with planetairy-systems?...im guessing thats how they did that...i'm not sure

No FPS style walking about in Horizons, vehicle based only and yes the galaxy is procedural i.e. they use an algorithm albeit a complex one

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

It was confirmed the transition from ship to SRV will be fade-to-black kind of a thing.

There will be 4 planets to land and drive on initially: rocky, ice, rocky-ice and metallic. The surfaces will be generated by the Stellar Forge, Fontier's procedural generation program. Read all about it in the link I've provided. It's a fantastic piece of work really! There is lots of info about Horizons in this thread, that sums up everything that's been revealed so far. Great work by Barking Mad!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom