News ANNOUNCING ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi - I'm confused now. I am a £90 original kickstarter backer and in the original kickstarter descriptions it says that includes an expansion pass - I'm pretty sure I've seen expansion pass listed in my purchased items before - are you saying that doesn't entitle me to Horizons then?

I just checked on the Kickstarter page and the expansions do in fact start at £90.

OK, I admit I was quite skeptical about future content, but this announcement made me buy the lifetime expansion pass.

Looking forward to try all this goodness in VR next year.

Me too £130 and I am being made redundant in December. Did you get a discount?

So this is misleading, yes? Or do I read it wrong?

The Lifetime Expansion Pass also grants access to the beta of the Elite Dangerous: Horizons expansion season when it's available.

Last edited:
image.jpg

So glad I spent that extra at the time, can't wait!!!

The deal is the same for both parties. New customers effectively get the base game for the same (or a bit less) than the discount you get for already owning the game.

Michael

That's a little bit disingenuous. For the deal to be the same for both parties, new customers would have to be paying about £60-£70.

You're saying that when Horizons comes out that ED will be reduced in cost to just £10, so new customers will still be paying £30 for the expansion plus £10 for the base game. As existing customers will also be paying at the very least £30 for the expansion (if they pre-order now), ergo the deal is the same for both parties.

However existing customers have paid more than £10 for the base game, so this just isn't true.

Don't get me wrong I am over the moon at this expansions announcement. Wisely I also bought the lifetime pass back in beta. However this does just seem most unfair on customers who have bought into the game in recent months via the game's release on Steam. If I was in their shoes, I'd be feeling very annoyed right now too.

Last edited:
Standard beta was at the £50 level, £90 was the premium box set.

Michael

but just to confuse matters "premium" box set came with standard beta (and the season pass)

you (I) had to pay a little more to later upgrade premium box set to include premium beta too.

so with the premium box set you will get access to all the DLC but (presumably) wont get access to the premium beta test of said DLC.

(I know you know this Michael - obviously - but just incase others panic if they see your post and panic that that means no season pass)

edit.. ninja'd by the man himself!...

You're saying that when Horizons comes out that ED will be reduced in cost to just £10

given ED will be a year old game by then, this is not in the realms of impossibility to be fair!.

(I would fully expect it to be down to the £15 mark in an xmas steam sale once it is 12 months old for the base game, £10 is not far below that!

Last edited:

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
For those confused about whether or not you already have Lifetime Expansions, you have them if:

• You backed at the £80 pledge level or higher on the Kickstarter Campaign.
  • You purchased Alpha or Premium Beta access via Frontier's store post-kickstarter.
  • You purchased the Lifetime Expansion Pass via Frontier's store prior to it being withdrawn from sale on July 29th 2014.

If any of the above applies to you, congratulations you saved yourself lots of money by buying in early. If not you'll have to purchase expansions separately.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I just checked on the Kickstarter page and the expansions do in fact start at £90.

The £80 pledge tier is titled the "Digital Download Pack" and includes any expansions:

£80 reward
485 backers
Digital Download Pack. This includes a single digital download of the game, and any expansions, and all the other rewards above except those requiring physical delivery.
Estimated delivery: Mar 2014

If I preorder now will I also get access to the Mac version when it is released? The description on the store seems to imply not. I'm predominately a mac player, but would run on PC for a while to get earlier access if both platforms are included.

Does the Lifetime expansion pack include beta access?

Yes, but any content specific to Elite Dangerous: Horizons won't be available. So iif you fly onto a planet surface then they won't be able to follow.

Michael
So now all the cry babies will be shouting at FD "I couldn't finish him off because he flew down to a planet, Ban them now FD BAN THEM NOW!!" ;)

Hello all,

I'm a normal beta backer. I purchased Elite: Dangerous back on the 9th of September 2014. I did NOT have the lifetime pass as part of that.

I just purchased the Lifetime pass and got a £10 'Discount (Loyality Discount for Horizons Lifetime Pass)' which means I paid £120 for it.

I hope this helps people clarify what you should or shouldn't be getting.

EDIT: Finally got the store working, Yay! *Double Fist Pump*

Last edited:

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Yes - the digital pack included the expansion pass at £80 or higher so would include Horizons, however it would not provide you with beta access.

Michael

So even though I was in the standard Beta on the original game, I won't be automatically part of beta testing unless I was premium beta?

Youch - wasn't expecting that - bit of a sneaky one there as I had assumed that standard beta would include beta on the expansion pass as well.

Anyway, does the new lifetime pass at £130 include all future betas or would I still have to pay again for beta for the next season in 2017?

Elite Dangerous: Horizons now makes clear how we plan to monetize Elite: Dangerous going forwards. This novel approach keeps the community together and avoids 'pay to win' pitfalls common in other games," Frontier Chief Executive Officer David Braben said

Well take that Chris Roberts!!

All Elite: Dangerous players will fly together in the same galaxy...
Hmmm...does that mean ALL players (i.e. Xbox/PC/Mac) even though the PR only mentions PC??

Source: http://www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=201508050900041117V

Yes - the digital pack included the expansion pass at £80 or higher so would include Horizons, however it would not provide you with beta access.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I ordered the Premium Beta, which includes the Expansions. Does that particular package include the Expansion beta's?

Hi Michael,

As a standard beta backer I don't think I will get beta access to Horizons, however I "topped" up and bought the original lifetime expansion pass so I already have Horizons bought. Is there an upgrade path available for me that would get me access to the beta without having to buy a second copy of Horizons?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom