Another Open Only Suggestion.

Powerplay in solo makes little sense. And I don't get the argument about subscription. It's like saying let's remove PvP because I need subscription. I don't really care about your subscription. It was your choice to buy a platform that requires subscription to play multiplayer. If you can't bear it play on PC.

I think there's a fear that excluding anyone from anything would be bad, even tho exclusivity can create brand loyalty and grow a franchise. Why give just the thrill seekers a dish of spicy cajun chicken when you can serve Vegan food to literally everyone.

So Janette Vasquez you want a pay to play mode. So if you are you going to pay all the xbox and PS4 players to play in the Open? If not then shut then the hell up. I play on Xbox and I can't afford to play in Open I know some PS4 users who are in the same boat. Yes they can play in solo mode.

I LOVE TO PLAY POWER PLAY and we have OP that want to take it away from me.
Rude. No I don't want to take it away, I want to make Powerplay and PvP a meaningful and impactful system. I wasn't aware that the purchase of a £500 single function computer required the subsequent purchase of online game access on a recurring basis. You were aware of it and you seem to think it's unfair and directed that ire at me. Perhaps you'd be better off not serving that business model?

I just dislike more experienced players, with top end, heavily engineered ships jumping other players who don't have the experience, skills or equipment to stand a chance against them
I too dislike this, which is why unless I wanted to climb that ladder and lose over and over again, I just wouldn't involve myself in Powerplay, even in Open then you're less likely to get into conflict unless you start tinkering with a system that someone's trying to manipulate in a specific way, then you get some bitsized PvP or move onto a different system/switch playmodes.

This is another problem area for Elite (in my opinion). Personally, I would like to have seen Elite go in one direction or another - either single player or multiplayer (nothing in between).

If Elite: Dangerous was one way or the other there would be no arguments over this sort of thing. An optional multiplayer game with friends (or joining a random server) might have been better - permitting players to play this single player game alone and without an internet connection if the player so chose.

For whatever reasons, Frontier opted to try and produce a product that pleased everyone, and is not quite an MMO (you can have a max of 25 players together - I think) - at any one time).

Anyway, had the game been one or the other (single player, or multiplayer only) the game may well have been better than it currently is.
I couldn't agree more. Especially with the idea that trying to please everyone didn't really work out.

I'm sure the next suggestion will be "Make PP and BGS PC only." Can't have us console-noobs messing things up for the master race
Oddly I only get that kind of hostility from Console players. :p I didn't buy a PC to be better than you, I bought a PC so I could use AutoCad, Photoshop, watch movies -and- play video games.

Rude. No I don't want to take it away, I want to make Powerplay and PvP a meaningful and impactful system. I wasn't aware that the purchase of a £500 single function computer required the subsequent purchase of online game access on a recurring basis. You were aware of it and you seem to think it's unfair and directed that ire at me. Perhaps you'd be better off not serving that business model?
No here what Rude having someone ask to take something away from me that rude.
Powerplay, straight up, Open Only. You can go PG and you can go SOLO to collect rewards but any cargo, any fighting, any hostile actions have to be done in Open Only. Killing enemy power NPC's in Solo or PG should net no merits and no influence, simply bounties or bonds.
That you talking about taking it away from Console users who can't afford the high cost of Pay to play model. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon. Some people Struggle to have end meet. But we both like PowerPlay and PG. But we have you asking to make it Open only.

Open only for PP/II/CG really would not work unless the entire way instancing, and balancing are handled is changed, they make it truly cross platform and not just multi platform, and reduce the effect cargo delivery has on the outcome of PP/CG/II. You generally do far more for your faction in PP/CG by delivering cargo than you do by trying, and utterly failing, to blockade.
What is the actual goal? Bringing more people into open, or just eliminating the effect Solo/PG players have on the BGS?
The very idea that open only will bring a lot more people into open rather than them simply playing another game, is likely wishful thinking. I suspect many, if not most of the Solo/PG players would simply not play anymore. If it is to eliminate their effect on CG/PP, well blockades are pretty useless in my opinion. You can't stop more cargo by killing cargo ships from other factions, (even if you could identify them when it comes to CGs), than you could have delivered yourself.

Anecdotal evidence, ignore if you like:
The last time I dealt with chain interdiction, I tied up 3 opposing ships for over 15 minutes and still managed to make my delivery. Meanwhile who knows how many slid through unopposed while they were playing with me. Even if they had toasted me on the first try, it would have been at least 5 minutes spent with me while who knows how many tonnes slipped through. A half dozen ships in super cruise does not an effective blockade make. 60 ships spread over 20 instances even less so. Those ships would do way better for their faction delivering cargo than trying to blockade.
Granted, I was in a heavily engineered Cutter, and not a Type 9 or the like. Lots of shield and fairly fast. Faster than the Annie one of them was using at least.

This is a novel idea, I'm extremely interested in seeing what people think about this as I've never heard of anything like it.

Wow

Yup, I'm with you 100% OP.

Once you get the ships you want, upgraded and engineered up the ying-yang, the game gets boring as you-know-what.

What I want is open only but with other necessary changes to make it work. Off the top of my head: ability to join my PMF, declare war on other PMFs (so we can shoot at them without it being considered a crime), high security means high security (so gankers have almost no chance to gank and get away with it), separate save for solo-open, improved visibility re what territory your PMF holds, cross play, better instancing, compelling team-based PvP in the actual game world (not on a special, isolated instance), more tools enabling emergent game play and cooperation, reasons to pledge to a power and stay pledged to it, and other things that I am forgetting atm.

Add these changes to a branched version of ED and market it as a separate game so that any legal and quasi-legal requirements and "promises" that were made during kickstarter (e.g., separate modes, etc) are still honored on the original ED but new and better development can continue unhindered in the new branch.

Yup, I'm with you 100% OP.

Once you get the ships you want, upgraded and engineered up the ying-yang, the game gets boring as you-know-what.

What I want is open only but with other necessary changes to make it work. Off the top of my head: ability to join my PMF, declare war on other PMFs (so we can shoot at them without it being considered a crime), high security means high security (so gankers have almost no chance to gank and get away with it), separate save for solo-open, improved visibility re what territory your PMF holds, cross play, better instancing, compelling team-based PvP in the actual game world (not on a special, isolated instance), more tools enabling emergent game play and cooperation, reasons to pledge to a power and stay pledged to it, and other things that I am forgetting atm.

Add these changes to a branched version of ED and market it as a separate game so that any legal and quasi-legal requirements and "promises" that were made during kickstarter (e.g., separate modes, etc) are still honored on the original ED but new and better development can continue unhindered in the new branch.
"Better" being subjective and very, very loose with the definition of the word.

Powerplay, straight up, Open Only. You can go PG and you can go SOLO to collect rewards but any cargo, any fighting, any hostile actions have to be done in Open Only. Killing enemy power NPC's in Solo or PG should net no merits and no influence, simply bounties or bonds.

NO.

What you want are traders PPing in Open. Benefiting anyone other than that is making it unbalanced. REMOVE the limit for vouchers in Open, so you can take 750 at a time in open for free, but if you log into another mode, you lose them (which means you lose nothing more than time, and not much of that).

Anyone doing combat is either there to PvP already OR aren't doing PvP at all, so nerfing that in solo/PG is worthless. You're not going to meet any more this way and they aren't the targets you want anyway if they aren't in there today.

In conclusion, There's been some good compromise suggestions such as making Power Play more profitable in open but still doable in solo and PG and various other good suggestions in this thread that meet in the middle. Curiously most people opposed to the idea seem quite het up about it, I can see why frontier would be reluctant to do such a big change and lose a significant percentage of their player base, tho still likely less than 25%.

All in all, I don't think Elite is the game for me and as dissenting opinions have said, this topic has been done to death. I'll keep watching the news letter for Elite: Dangerous. II

In conclusion, There's been some good compromise suggestions such as making Power Play more profitable in open but still doable in solo and PG and various other good suggestions in this thread that meet in the middle. Curiously most people opposed to the idea seem quite het up about it, I can see why frontier would be reluctant to do such a big change and lose a significant percentage of their player base, tho still likely less than 25%.

People who knew what they were buying were aware all modes are equal and there's one shared BGS. It may even have featured in their reasons for buying in.

So you'll meet resistance to propositions for a rewrite/redesign limiting other peoples access what the game they knowingly bought offered.

All in all, I don't think Elite is the game for me and as dissenting opinions have said, this topic has been done to death. I'll keep watching the news letter for Elite: Dangerous. II

If you'd read up on this stuff first you could have saved some money and effort.

The sequel will probably feature the same successful modes model since its popular and offers choice which gamers like.

So are we pretending that there aren't three entirely different platforms that don't directly interact? It comes up and people are uninterested in addressing this inconsistency in the argument, it seems.

Just because something is a "compromise" doesn't mean it's a good solution. Especially when one side is "don't change this" and the compromise is still "change this anyway".

See you in 20 years when you come back to complain about the same thing in the second game.

Top Bottom