Horizons Another planet found within a planetary ring! [Video]

I saw a thread recently with one of these planets found within the bubble. I couldn't find it so I figured to post this one.

The planet can be landed upon and is at the edge of a range, half in and half out. I've updated this post using the GTX 890, where as my original GTX 660 was crumbling at all the objects.

It's very cool, because the rings is really hauling ass.

System: PRAEA EUQ QP-N C20-11 AB
[video=youtube;5wCRCduX1vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCRCduX1vk[/video]

@Fdev, please don't prevent these occurrences. It's been quite difficult to find them (with planet rings having several million km radius and a planet without atmosphere within that radius. It's quite a cool perspective. If you must do something, it would be interesting to see the rings colliding with one side of the planet as would be expected, leaving a void or indent in the rings on the other side.

Last edited:
Aren't there shepherd moons within Saturn's rings ? I suppose there should be a limit to the size of the moons, though - large ones would be torn apart. And, of course, the moons would a) be orbiting at the same rate as the rings and b) have cleared a path free of any ring particles.

Last night I found another astronomical improbability - two moons in close orbit, with another in close orbit around the pair. Three moons so close together that it felt like you could jump from one to the other. All of them were landfall too. My gfx card was not happy

Last edited:
Mmmm, AFAIK moons should not be inside a ring, they should have cleared a path, like Saturn's shepherd moons. So just outside yes, half in, no.

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
I just went there and the moon in question was clearly outside the ring system by at least it's own diameter. Wonder where the difference comes from.

There are a lots of planets and moon inside the Roche limit in Elite. I hope that some day we could have fractured or collapsed planets.

Last edited:
I just went there and the moon in question was clearly outside the ring system by at least it's own diameter. Wonder where the difference comes from.

This is Elite Dangerous not Doctor Who. Have you got a Tardis?

Ps. I know you can jump anywhere before anyone comments.

There are definitely some bugged/wonky physics. I've seen a few planets and stars orbiting THROUGH other stars or planets. Also planets and stations orbiting nothing at all. Someone posted a screeenshot of a station orbiting through a planet as well.

It would be nice to have stuff in impossible orbits turned in to what they would be (destroyed stars and planets, huge asteroid rings, etc). That would give some much needed variation to the systems as well :)

Last edited:
Aren't there shepherd moons within Saturn's rings ?

Yep. Daphnis.

PIA11547.jpg

The moons was outside the ring, but not by that far when I was there. It was as if the center of the planet was on the edge of the ring. Half in, half out.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Well, it's amazing.
It's on GTX 660? What's your settings? I've got the same GPU :)

Custom, mostly high. This is the only thing that really dragged my system down to date.

Stations just above and right on the edge of planet rings is also something that is needed. Close enough to actually fly to the rings from the station at normal speed :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom