Another Useless Orange Pop Out Message

It doesn't fit with the aesthetics or overall design of where its displayed. Its flat, like an OS notification or terminal/console notice
It only makes sense to have these "toast" notifications when you are in menus such as outfitting / mission menus and whatnot.

You get it in your ship and when on foot, when you have a hud, but its not "from the hud", where does it come from... what is displaying it?
So forget the message it displays (which is useless too) the entire thing needs to be gotten rid of. IMO.

Just another thing duct taped on, with very little thought / consideration of existing systems.

Deleted member 182079

D
You are correct, it is not the most pressing issue. Not by a long shot.

However...

Even after all of the feedback over the past couple of months regarding the UI, this new addition and change further reinforces that they still just don't get it.
Plus, it makes you wonder if they're still in control of their own code - the message looks to me like it belongs to the gal/sys map interface, and not the ship HUD (it should then appear in the top right section).

When you see new issues like these introduced while they're supposed to fix their game as top priority (all while even announcing this as a new feature in the patch notes), it's kinda difficult to feel confident they "got this" considering the next patch in 2 weeks or so will be the final bug fix one for a long time judging from their 'road map'.

Good luck.

These toast notifications are definitely a feature in search of a use. But adding UI features is relatively easy compared to fixing all the other stuff. :)

Anyway, in case you haven't noticed, Odyssey was made with a different philosophy in mind than the base game. I don't know if they changed the game director or if Lord Braben was less involved.

ED is made with a heavy emphasis on "immersion".
Odyssey is made with a heavy emphasis on "gameplay" first.

In ED you have SRV undocking animation, long supercruise travel, long animation you can't skip for switching hardpoint, all the holographic HUD thing,.... Some of it can be annoying or tedious for some, but it's they are there anyway because "immersion".
In Odyssey, it's just "don't care". You have pop up instead of holo, cat meme to fetch from people's room, a faction to flip for an engineer (usually to grab their stuff), a team deathmatch with no real immersion whatsoever (it's just a generic TDM that has existed since half life 1), people yelling they have illegal job 3m away from a guard, bartender who deals in space duct tape and not drinks, the "kirk" moment instead of the "armstrong moment"....

If Odyssey had been designed the same way than ED, ship interiors would have been a focus. We'd have a long "go down the stairs" thing instead of a blue light. Could have been tedious and repetitive, but it didn't stop ED before. Every pop up would have been some holo, probably orange and hard to read. As for 0g station they would have been very different to.

Like it or not, Odyssey is following a different path than the main game. Don't get me wrong, there are stuff in the main game that annoys me, because immersion came before gameplay. But Odyssey feel like it's a different game by another company set in the same universe. It's very weird, and I understand people who have been playing years of ED being confused and even not liking the new direction.

Like others above have stated, this pop up should be in the gal map if anywhere, not in the cockpit. It is especially annoying because I change my HUD colors, what is it with Frontier and orange and brown? It reminds me of my first apartment, when my flatmates and I had all the orange and brown plaid furniture that our parents were getting rid of from the 70's...... There is already enough orange and brown in the game, leave my ship cockpit out of it thanks!

With all the UI feedback why would they even bother to add such a useless 'feature' at all? We want it streamlined, not filled with more garbage.

And uh, ok, thanks tips! Because you feel I cant read the target destination on my HUD while I am jumping, and/or we are too dumb to know where we plotted a route to? So you decided an additional pop-up message was in order? How can I read it if I cant read? Oh wait, I can read! So why would I need an additional message? This is not a feature, this is SPAM.

If Fdev really feels the need to add what amounts to a cockpit dummy light instead of working on the actual UI functionality or bugs that they should be focused on atm.... what I could see is that for a route that is more than a single jump, an actual integrated HUD popup saying ' Final jump to destination ' or 'Jumping to final destination in route' as you are charging your FSD.

But this message, is it a bug that happens to be popping up in cockpit not gal map? or is it the right message popping up for the wrong function? Why would you need this pop-up at all unless you were clicking on the cancel route button while using the gal map? And then, why would you need it? Because seeing your plotted route disappear from the gal map would not be enough of an indicator that you had cancelled the route?

They need to remove the marijuana from the break rooms....

43iv8l.jpg

Top Bottom