Any change on Frontier's stance on VR?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That’s not what they’ve said. (And is at odds with VR currently being maintained in EDO).
For the love of God wake up. Just as people were convinced that because they said VR would not be added to Odyssey "at launch" implied that it would come in a later development phase, now we're reduced to desperately grasping at straws like a drowning man trying to positively interpret the most ambiguous language I've heard in years. They are not saying it's never coming, but neither have they said it is ever coming, or that they have any plans of developing it (immediate or otherwise). They have in fact committed to absolutely nothing and if you've not learnt your lesson at this stage and begun take them literally at their word, then all I can suggest is that I have some magic beans I'm willing to sell you.

All VR users can realistically hope for is that they implement VR as well as it is already in Horizons, because they will eventually port everything to the new graphics engine and I doubt they want the backlash of downgrading everyone. Beyond that, and given the glaciar rate of development and bug fixing, we are almost guaranteed to not see anything new in VR. I'd say I hope I'm wrong, but that's precisely what ran out a while back.

I'm sorry, but it's long past time to wake up and smell the coffee.

I have gotten over that VR is not coming to Odyssey, there lots of great VR supported games.
before the announcement of no further VR support I was playing at least 1 hour every day for years, AFTER I have only been on line for 30 minutes in the last 2 weeks.

For the love of God wake up

Lol, calm down.

I’m simply saying that "VR is not going to be supported anymore in Odyssey." is the OP’s opinion and not much more. At minimum vehicle VR seems to be being maintained.

I agree that nothing more may come, and performance may never match EDH levels.

they said VR would not be added to Odyssey "at launch"

They said that when no VR support was planned for launch. Then they decided to maintain vehicle VR.

I understand the confusion for the average player, but anyone paying close attention shouldn’t have expected anything more than that for the foreseeable.

(Hence my call for a hacky compromise on VR Legs. Because it was obvious the real deal wasn’t in the works.)

To be honest if they can sort out the performance and get my FPS back up I'll be happy. The on foot play seems meh at best. Get the performance back and I'll be back playing Elite in VR as I always have, in ship and SRV.

I’m simply saying that "VR is not going to be supported anymore in Odyssey." is the OP’s opinion and not much more. At minimum vehicle VR seems to be being maintained.
No, ship and vehicle have been (or are in the process of being) implemented, maintenance is an ongoing process that would ensure code compatibility with future software and hardware changes. There is no commitment for future maintenance and most likely none will take place, which will down the line result in ED being incompatible with future headsets (presuming, a driver update doesn't break things with existing ones).
They said that when no VR support was planned for launch. Then they decided to maintain vehicle VR.
Implement, not maintain. I wonder what would have been the reaction had they admitted that at least Horizon's level support for VR would have been missing from the EDO launch?
I understand the confusion for the average player, but anyone paying close attention shouldn’t have expected anything more than that for the foreseeable.
Foreseeable? Still expecting that light at the end of the tunnel, I see. That's the grasping at straws like a drowning man I was talking about.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
That’s not what they’ve said. (And is at odds with VR currently being maintained in EDO).

The last things they’ve said on the matter remain these statements about VR Legs etc:

The slight counter to that, which won't give you comfort. PS owners asked about PSVR support back in 2017....

Screenshot 2021-07-25 211119.png

The FAQ was publish in 2017 and last updated 3 months ago.

With the way FDev appear to be struggling with optimisation of Odyssey on PC right now, I wouldn't be holding my breath for proper VR implementation in Odyssey on PC anytime soon, if at all to be honest.

No, ship and vehicle have been (or are in the process of being) implemented, maintenance is an ongoing process that would ensure code compatibility with future software and hardware changes. There is no commitment for future maintenance and most likely none will take place, which will down the line result in ED being incompatible with future headsets (presuming, a driver update doesn't break things with existing ones).

I've got no interest in having a pedantry fest friend. The short answer is:

Initial statement by OP: "VR is not going to be supported anymore in Odyssey."

Current reality: Vehicle VR is supported in Odyssey.

OP's point is conjecture at this point. As are yours.

Foreseeable? Still expecting that light at the end of the tunnel, I see. That's the grasping at straws like a drowning man I was talking about.

I'd say it's still a possibility yes, for reasons I'll give below. But not one anyone should hold out for, or play the game for in the hope of its arrival.

The slight counter to that, which won't give you comfort. PS owners asked about PSVR support back in 2017....

View attachment 252336

The FAQ was publish in 2017 and last updated 3 months ago.

With the way FDev appear to be struggling with optimisation of Odyssey on PC right now, I wouldn't be holding my breath for proper VR implementation in Odyssey on PC anytime soon, if at all to be honest.

Yep aware of that one.

There are some slight points in favour this time which perhaps distinguish it:

A) We have a 'proof of concept' in front of us with the VR vanity camera. The native VR works on foot on PC.

B) We have further dev quotes which suggest a VR port could be a long-term objective. IE this pre-launch one:

Elite is obviously a very nice VR game. You sit in the cockpit, and you're in front of the stars. It lends itself perfectly to VR. I'm really glad that we did add VR support because it's pretty awesome, it is quite an experience. Being able to run around on foot, though, is very much a different experience. We're still looking at the way that we would tackle that if we need to. Or if we decide that we think we can get a good way of doing it. And sure, like, that's something that we'll tackle, but for the moment, we have to focus on the actual main experience and getting that working the way that we really want it to feel. So on day one, there won't be any VR support. But we're not saying never, it's just we need to focus our efforts elsewhere right now.

(I'd say it's also worth noting that there are no obvious design impediments to VR Legs in the execution of the current game. IE no canned animations which take control of the camera, the gameplay interaction panels use large fonts & hitboxes etc. This is possibly due to the path being left clear.)

C) There is clearly a sizeable, dedicated PCVR community, which is now mighty miffed with the DLC. PS4VR didn't have that.

---

I certainly wouldn't expect it though, given EDO's launch, agreed. Most resources will doubtless be thrown at performance and the most broadly crowd-pleasing additions possible. VR has likely been shunted further down the pile than it already was. It's perfectly possible that they won't tackle a full port.

There is still an outside chance that they will though ;). (As mentioned above, I wouldn't recommend anyone waiting around on that basis though, playing the game hoping for it to become the one that they want etc.)

Last edited:
ED Odyssey does support VR on foot. It is NOT flat screen! The problem is it is done in a cheap and shoddy way to avoid redoing the on screen UI and providing VR head tracking (must use controller as pancake users do) and VR hand controller support.

The scale is off, but it is VR with a ridiculous gray frame to make it appear as a 2D screen with 2D UI. It so much looks like management pushing development to cut corners to get the DLC out for sale, and it certainly is a black eye to the company, whether they care or not.

I'm still enjoying EDO in VR, even on VR foot. They just need to get rid of that silly gray frame! Ugh! Then work on a better UI for VR, then maybe add head tracking. Personally, I hate VR controllers and love my HOTAS + Xbox controller that I'm using now for EDO. I just HATE that limiting gray mask they use. However, foot still is enjoyable in VR, thank goodness it is not true 2D pancake!

There is hope they will address this in time, but it is not no where near the top of their list. They are losing players (not me, I'm loving it), their image is tarnished, and this is with the targeted pancake crowd. They have to fix performance and bugs, period. Hopefully ED is still a viable business for Frontier to justify continued effort on the VR support.

I certainly hope VR is improved in the future, but right now, I'm playing it as is and enjoying it, regardless.

Any depth you perceive, you are getting from other cues than stereopsis.
I do not believe that what I view is me being fooled by binocular vision. At first I was fooled the other way, that it is just a 2D view. It is not. Walking around the ship in the hanger was obviously a 3D view limited by a gray mesh that was framed around a 2D designed UI.

Using the external camera view from the foot view which is true 3D, and boy it supplies some gorgeous 3D views of the ship, moving real close to the ships now (which you couldn't in EDH), you realize that the view you see is the same as that in the foot 2D presentation.

Okay, so I'm fooled, you know better. It is just 2D pancake with VR headset and making me think it is VR. :rolleyes:

...Using the external camera view from the foot view which is true 3D, and boy it supplies some gorgeous 3D views of the ship, moving real close to the ships now (which you couldn't in EDH), you realize that the view you see is the same as that in the foot 2D presentation...
Night and day difference between the two here, and not just because I happen to be looking through a frame in one of the cases.

I've got no interest in having a pedantry fest friend.
I'm afraid what you call pedantry is simply those inconvenient details you'd prefer to ignore.
OP's point is conjecture at this point. As are yours.
Of course they are. Thing is, just because we both can have conjecture, doesn't mean that it's of equal value. Eventually the evidence become so overwhelming on one side that something become more than simple conjecture and opposing theories are eventually discarded.
A) We have a 'proof of concept' in front of us with the VR vanity camera. The native VR works on foot on PC.
No one is denying that VR cannot be implemented. The question is how much effort was involved in re-implementing existing VR functionality from implementing completely new functionality. That appears to be the principle problem, whether is it s question of lack of expertise or lack of interest in investing in that expertise.
B) We have further dev quotes which suggest a VR port could be a long-term objective. IE this pre-launch one:
We also have a veritable archive of past teases, hints and outright broken promises, that all came to nothing, that you are willfully ignoring as they do not fit your narrative. Tell me, how many examples of such past 'teases' can you point to that actually came to pass? I don't mean things that were promised in black and white and delivered upon, but only implied or hinted at, because that is all we have.
(I'd say it's also worth noting that there are no obvious design impediments to VR Legs in the execution of the current game. IE no canned animations which take control of the camera, the gameplay interaction panels use large fonts & hitboxes etc. This is possibly due to the path being left clear.)
As I've already said, no one is denying that VR cannot be implemented. Technically there's nothing stopping the development of ship interiors either. Or Panther Clippers. Your entire argument is really just a straw man.
C) There is clearly a sizeable, dedicated PCVR community, which is now mighty miffed with the DLC. PS4VR didn't have that.
I agree and prior to the announcement that there would be no further VR development I would have said, and did, that this self-interest alone should have been sufficient to see VR fully implemented in time. Problem is that between the resource pit which is debugging / optimizing the PC version, porting to console and then all the other games presently on their development roadmap, they're simply not in a position to put any resources into VR and will not be for a very long time, presuming they intend to anyway (which as you admitted yourself is just conjecture).

At this stage it looks quite likely that once EDO is stable enough to silence the most vocal criticism, we'll simply reenter a maintenance mode for the next few years. So long as there's enough revenue to pay for the servers and a skeleton crew of developers, it makes sense to keep it going in a zombie-like state, given it's PR value to the company alone. It might be worth their while to even run at a small loss because of that. After all, there's enough 'drowning men' willing to keep it going.
There is still an outside chance that they will though ;).
Which brings us back to grasping at straws. Personally, because I've played on and off over the years, I still have Horizon's content I can play. But when's that's done, so will I be. If they force everyone onto the new engine before it is optimized, then I'll probably stop sooner.

Question is if what I predict comes to pass and we do enter a prolonged twilight maintnace mode, how long before you accept my 'conjecture'? A year? Two? Three? Because once you reach those levels of self deception, your hopes stop being based on conjecture and start resembling articles of faith.

Worse would be vorpX, oh friendly neighbourhood citizen ;)
I saw that. While it was inevitable that content creators would at least expand the number of games they covered, it's pretty clear that some are pushing SC, in particular, to the point that they've become little more than shills. Given this, I'll admit I've not yet tried SC and don't intend to until they have one of their free play weeks.

Question is if what I predict comes to pass and we do enter a prolonged twilight maintnace mode, how long before you accept my 'conjecture'? A year? Two? Three? Because once you reach those levels of self deception, your hopes stop being based on conjecture and start resembling articles of faith.

I'm definitely guilty of that but what made me finally lose my faith in Fdev was the plants addition (it was shaken with the 'stuff to find out there in the black'), as in, they don't even have anyone on staff capable of doing procedural generation stuff anymore, everything is copy / pasted with new names on different planets (or out in space with the New StuffTM).

An update they called The New Era has nothing new in it. The engine wasn't updated, landlegs is just a fancy external camera, the shooting is ripped wholesale from ship combat and the plant scanning was a ripped off QTE mechanic - and I could of coped with all that if they'd just introduced some zero G shenanigans into the mix, more planet types maybe - just clouds, weather, oceans (would have been enough) and a new flight model to deal with atmospheric flight but now I don't even believe they have a team capable of that.

Ok, they've got the planet gen., a UI and lighting team (I'm guessing) and they broke all of them - so way to go guys!

Another space game (not SC) has, since its creation (made by one guy) been updated to Vulcan, maintained VR, controllable Newtonion Flight mode, planets with atmospheres and different flight model (speed above 200 kph to avoid stalling and falling like a brick) fighting storms, oceans, clouds, weather, asteroids with caves, NPC staff for bigger ships, deployable stations, scanners & etc, nebulae and stars you can refuel at (but don't get too close to the star or you will die), and about 30 system to explore with a war going on in the background...
Cons: Ship / console graphics not as pretty as ED, no space legs, no orbital mechanics, ship combat is hard.
Currently playing: Evochron Legacy SE.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom