Anyone else getting a bit frustrated with the prolonged narrative?

The past few weeks of CGs haven't really hit the spot.
If you feel that way, ok. But I haven't been busier. I've jumped between Operation WychHunt BGS goals, ganking the CG in opposition of Salvation, killing Thargoids, sneaking guardian artifacts into the CG in opposition to my morals but in pursuit of a paintjob. Plus pursuing my squadron's individual goals.

It's been a challenge to keep up.

The story itself is decent however the pacing is very poor. It will be fine to look back on as lore, however to experience it live is like watching paint dry.
Di you know what they have a simulator for that now?

1658445877727.png

The review stats are both expected and surprising.

It's all about the headcanons...isn't it?
On occasion even when there is a strong authorial voice... Like many, I've got my own headcanon for what the heck happened in Mass Effect 3, and Bioware are going to have to bring their A-game for their teased next game in the series, if they are to convince me to let go of it. :p

It does seem like a safe conclusion that there is a temporal connection between how narration is portioned out at the moment, and update 13, but if there is anything we've learned, it is to expect nothing. :9

The story itself is decent however the pacing is very poor. It will be fine to look back on as lore, however to experience it live is like watching paint dry.
It's intentional and has been since 2015'ish.
The question was asked back then and it was overwhelmingly in favour of a slow burn, rather than short stories.
I like the slow burn because it can allow the story to evolve, which allows for community involvement(ideas), rather than be pushed down a very linear path. It also allows for depth in the characters so ppl can decide who to work for, if any even... at the start, there was none of that.
Just some names and associated pictures.

not at all, I appreciate that I get to see up close whats up.
Now is as good a time as any to sit back and let the other millions of viewers take a look.
It may take some time.
It should.
It would suck if every person that paid, all logged in on 1 day to watch, then its over and you missed the end because of the bad connection .
That kind of impatience makes a game last 5 minutes.
No replay, no do-overs.
Last one standing pays the light bill.

Could be a loose end or 2 not yet touched......funny how this keeps happening.

There's also the big projects to consider as well, like the stations being built on the way to colonia.
Highly beneficial to players but that ran on and on...
Personally, i'd like to see some alternatives so things don't get too repetitive for players. They did have a BH CG running with the main story-arc recently, so there may be some merit in adding such things.
It's all about variety really as not everyone likes all the things.

Pacing is about involvement in this game. If all your looking for is a story to read then, yes, it's going to seem slow. Which elements did you get involved in and can I suggest any more if you feel like you're missing out?
Pacing is not about involvement with the game at all. Story events happen weekly regardless of player involvement. The story wouldn't go any faster or slower if 1000 players played the game vs 100000. Its entirely dependant on when the developers want to tell the story. The CG's give the illusion that we have control over the pacing and direction of the narrative.

I also think you've also got it the wrong way around, reading it like a story will seem coherent and the pace is fine as you would read it once the story is complete (like with past lore). Its the involvement and experiencing it week in, week out that is slow. When we go weeks/months without anything major and then a CG for salvation for a week/month and then nothing much again and then thargoids attack bubble, and then they back down and then they attack bubble again, and then they back down, and then they attack bubble again ......

Just the same illusion of teasing the finish line when actually we are miles away from it. This tactic is just used again and again to drag out the story and its getting a bit stale.

It's intentional and has been since 2015'ish.
The question was asked back then and it was overwhelmingly in favour of a slow burn, rather than short stories.
I like the slow burn because it can allow the story to evolve, which allows for community involvement(ideas), rather than be pushed down a very linear path. It also allows for depth in the characters so ppl can decide who to work for, if any even... at the start, there was none of that.
Just some names and associated pictures.
Calling the azimuth saga a slow burn is a bit generous imo. The story isn't dense enough for a 2+ year period. Sometimes in ED we can go months without the story really making any progress. That would be like a TV series having 3-4 filler episodes not advancing the plot at all. If you take a look at masterclasses of storytelling such as many Steven King novels or TV shows like Breaking Bad, each episode something big happens to push the plot. Its so story dense that it just forces the audience to watch the next episode. The gaps in-between story in the Azimuth Saga (and the repetitive story motifs often used) seem so large/frequent that I either lose interest or just forget the plot details that are needed to really stay engaged.

The burn is way too slow, especially for a live service game, and would've been better if it was condensed in half the time (just by cutting the huge gaps in the storyline).

Calling the azimuth saga a slow burn is a bit generous imo. The story isn't dense enough for a 2+ year period. Sometimes in ED we can go months without the story really making any progress. That would be like a TV series having 3-4 filler episodes not advancing the plot at all. If you take a look at masterclasses of storytelling such as many Steven King novels or TV shows like Breaking Bad, each episode something big happens to push the plot. Its so story dense that it just forces the audience to watch the next episode. The gaps in-between story in the Azimuth Saga (and the repetitive story motifs often used) seem so large/frequent that I either lose interest or just forget the plot details that are needed to really stay engaged.

The burn is way too slow, especially for a live service game, and would've been better if it was condensed in half the time (just by cutting the huge gaps in the storyline).
Arguments for prolonging opportunity to participate aside, Elite's attempt to move the story forward in real-time creates some narrative problems. The idea that Salvation was able to produce (even on a bespoke basis) modified hybrid guardian weapons, or construct a galaxy-spanning Guardian-Energy-Pulse across an alien (Thargoid) communication network on a development period of months is technological progress on the order of a technological singularity. Which is why I'll plug the desirability of including a Guardian Relic AI somewhere in this plot line. Its all way too slow for a pulpy story, but way too fast for any kind of realism. And Elite has always struggled with whether or not its a simulation.

Last edited:
Calling the azimuth saga a slow burn is a bit generous imo. The story isn't dense enough for a 2+ year period. Sometimes in ED we can go months without the story really making any progress. That would be like a TV series having 3-4 filler episodes not advancing the plot at all. If you take a look at masterclasses of storytelling such as many Steven King novels or TV shows like Breaking Bad, each episode something big happens to push the plot. Its so story dense... The gaps in-between story in the Azimuth Saga (and the repetitive story motifs often used) seem so large/frequent that I either lose interest or just forget the plot details that are needed to really stay engaged.
It wasn't the only story, there have been a few different ones. They do mix things up a bit to cater for others, prolly for variety...
Not everything needs to be a cliffhanger either, they are usually reserved till season's end.
You were paying attention, yes?

It seems that the focus on the current narrative isn't in telling a high quality story, it is instead to drag out the ongoing narrative for as long as possible, probably to prolong the feeling of something going on in the game.

The narrative feeling a bit like this ...

If the azimuth saga was condensed to take place in about half the time it would be remembered and appreciated a lot more. Im sure everyone would've preferred a year of action packed events and story then 2+ years of dragged out story. Its taken so long to tell, that many people (myself included) have probably forgot events that have happened at the beginning and it starts to become a little bit of a chore to keep up to date. I know the Odyssey mess and console delays probably forced the hand of the narrative team to delay the story, however I was sort of expecting the narrative to kick back into action straight after console cancellation, and it only now seems like something is starting to happen again ...

Its like those series where they pack the middle of the season with filler episodes to bulk up the runtime, all for everything meaningful to happen at the season finale.

Knowing my luck, this is when it all kicks off next week ...
Your image reminds me of this:

Top Bottom