Are NPC's turning faster

Are the NPC's turning faster then we can in our ships now , Several times I am seeing corvettes turning 180 faster than my Krate MKii grade 5 dirty on FA off and when I use my Corvette FA off boosted, I can not out turn the NPC.

Unless you are on their tail matching their trajectory and speed going into the turn you're comparing apples to oranges, but I assume you know that already.

I've not noticed this, if anything I feel like NPC's kind of suck as pilots, but I'd be interested in seeing a video example of what you speak of.

I have recently changed from VR to flat screen while my riff is getting repaired, Could be just me but usually I am able to jump on the tail of a corvette with my Krait but recently I have not been able to make the turns

Could be an altered perspective thing. Maybe your sense of pretend depth is off-kilter from switching out to the flat display.

NPCs are so underwpowered that you can outturn an Eagle in a FDS...
I can outrun just about anything in my imperial eagle. Though I always have been able to turn quite like an NPC can, if not, faster. Try putting the experimental effect drag drives on your thrusters.

I can outrun just about anything in my imperial eagle. Though I always have been able to turn quite like an NPC can, if not, faster. Try putting the experimental effect drag drives on your thrusters.

Read my post once more please.
I said I can outturn an NPC Eagle with a Federal Dropship
That's how underpowered the NPCs are in terms of flight maneuvering

The NPCs all behave exactly the same regardless of rank, Expert and above. They all behave the same based on ship type too. It's very very obvious I'm fighting a computer.

And yeah I can't get behind anyone to save my life.

The NPCs all behave exactly the same regardless of rank, Expert and above. They all behave the same based on ship type too. It's very very obvious I'm fighting a computer.

What's your engineering on your ships like?
Also, if you want to stick to the tail of an opponent, NPC or player, there is a lot of lateral thruster usage involved.
FA off toggling helps a lot as well.

I use my lateral thrusters like they're the only thrusters on my ship. I'm just garbage. 😀 I should say that if I start the battle on their tail I can USUALLY stay there, unless I make a mistake.

My only gripe with the combat is how mechanical the AI is. They don't really make mistakes at any combat rank above Expert, and all battles end up being pretty much the same. In my experience anyway...not really complaining just an observation. Oh I'm pretty sure the AI reads controller inputs as well. AI response time is instantaneous. Shoot an NPC facing you and watch how fast they return fire.

Last edited:
The NPCs do favour a 4 pip to eng strategy, it can make them appear super human at times, you aren't the first to comment on it, but as I always say, I've not seen them do anything I can't do with the throttle in the blue zone and 4 pips to eng. They might have had an AI buff, I can't say I've really noticed and I do fight NPCs every day, I normally start my session with a million's worth of bounties in the comp nav and I haven't really noticed anything. I haven't done any assassinations for a long time though, maybe those corvettes got a buff?

This is not accurate, they gain various abilities as they get higher in rank, not least of all is the probable reason for this thread, which is that deadly and higher (it might be dangerous, I can't remember) get significant pip management skills.

The NPCs do favour a 4 pip to eng strategy, it can make them appear super human at times, you aren't the first to comment on it, but as I always say, I've not seen them do anything I can't do with the throttle in the blue zone and 4 pips to eng. They might have had an AI buff, I can't say I've really noticed and I do fight NPCs every day, I normally start my session with a million's worth of bounties in the comp nav and I haven't really noticed anything. I haven't done any assassinations for a long time though, maybe those corvettes got a buff?
This is not accurate, they gain various abilities as they get higher in rank, not least of all is the probable reason for this thread, which is that deadly and higher (it might be dangerous, I can't remember) get significant pip management skills.

As per usual when it comes to NPC's I agree with the Aashenfox. I fight npc's in bucketloads everyday, in any scenario, and I have the same experiences.

I think it's easy to assume they cheat in some way if they appear to better you, or you can't get behind them, or whatever. The upper ranks npc's knows how to fly and pip manage.
(the facetanks though.... sigh)

MDH

Last edited:
Sure, they might pip manage better but their flying style doesn't change. They're still going to face tank and ram you, regardless of rank. An Elite NPC will just do it with 4 pips to engines.

Here's a recent example of me fighting a couple of NPCs using my own brand of lazy pip management and I don't have a problem out-turning them.

Sure, they might pip manage better but their flying style doesn't change. They're still going to face tank and ram you, regardless of rank. An Elite NPC will just do it with 4 pips to engines.

Agree, hence my sigh at the end :D Just love when an <insert small/medium ship here> for reasons unknown to me puts him/her self in front of my 'vette for several seconds, eating beams and bursts and shotgun pellets:rolleyes:

MDH

Nice Video
Here's a recent example of me fighting a couple of NPCs using my own brand of lazy pip management and I don't have a problem out-turning them.

Nice video but neither of those ships are Elite and they fight with ram and face tank approach, The assassination mission with a Krait versus a Corvette requires more avoidance and considering we start from the disadvantage of them on our tail we need to evade and then re-acquire from behind.

Please share your build so I can find out how your weapons are doing so much damage with shield tank corvette

Top Bottom