Are probes going to use another module slot limiting explorers

As a part timer explorer, generally between large content updates the new probes idea is a great addition. However I already find my choices in the ASP and Conda as an explorer limited. I prefer to be able to take low powered shields or hull repair along side module repair when I'm out in the black. Having shields and hull repair has saved me after planetary accidents a few times.

Are probes going to be yet a new module part? Essentially are explorers now forced to drop either the SRV bay, shields or hull repair options? I mean you need a fuel scoop, two scanners and an module repair unit thats 4 slots already.

Could these probes go on the same slots that heatsinks and shield boosters use to offset this problem? If you take hull repair you need cargo space... should hull repair requite drones moving forward?

Last edited:
There has been a bit of discussion lately in this forum about a feature that Sandro (from memory) mentioned on a livestream.

The feature was a control module which would allow different limpets to be held under it (much like the Hanger module with the SRV as a sub-module). This was mentioned because the number of limpet types has continued to grow over time.

If this happens, I'd imagine the "probes" would be one type of limpet to could be stored under the control module. However, just a wild guess - no guarantees, no ETA.:)

Last edited:
I thought this new DSS would be "shooting" out probes, so maybe it will take up a weapon slot (how many of these are used on Exploration builds!)

Nobody knows.

But given the passionate nature of this forum community it behoves FDev to come up with a sensible solution, without an excess of grind.

So, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Yes, probes will take up all of your cargo space no matter what ship you are making them pointless as you won't be able to fit a DSS anyway.

Seriously, nobody knows. They will likely just be ammo based for the DSS. Maybe the DSS will become a hardpoint instead of an optional module or it will require a DSS probe shooter or something like that.

Let's wait for the Focus Feedback as this speculation is pointless at the moment. Information is coming and we know roughly when.

Edit, comfirmation on Lave Radio:

Probes work like ammo, and can be synthesises from materials that are found outside the bubble. This was confirmed by Lave Radio. :)

So no more cargo space needed.

Last edited:
Probes are a function of the DSS (detail surface scanner), and OA confirmed today that the probes are an ammo mechanic of the DSS (like ammo for the AFMU) so they are not limpets and will not require cargo space.

So any ship carrying a DSS today can use probes just as they are come Q4.

Hehe just putting it out there, as although they tend to not comment. I am sure fd do read many of the posts here until they head off into rantville.

So does this mean the probes are horizons content, as you will need an srv to locate the materials?

Interesting. It's possible. If the synthesis mats can be found by mining rings then no, but if the can only be found on planet surfaces then yes.

Probes are a function of the DSS (detail surface scanner), and OA confirmed today that the probes are an ammo mechanic of the DSS (like ammo for the AFMU) so they are not limpets and will not require cargo space.

So any ship carrying a DSS today can use probes just as they are come Q4.

Good news for my CM3. I don't have room for cargo space or another module, at least once i get the guardian booster in there.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Would be nice if they stopped making things "limpet" style and actually offered a module that worked like a drone bay instead with a limited capacity.

You'd still have to replace them (similar to SLF or SRV) but could lead to different styles of probes being available for the future, too.

If they start doing the pre-nerf the explorer thing with this, it will definitely be a reason for me to skip out after Q4.

By almost listening to the stream it was pretty clear to me that the detailed surface scanner would be the active controller for probe launching, not some other module. Probes sound like they will be handled like limpets, taking up cargo space, lowering jump range due to mass and requiring cargo racks to hold them.

The lightweight option would be to stockpile materials and synth them as needed, which, in forum-speak, means “more grind”, guaranteed to be the #1 complaint.

I suspect an extra suite will be created and added to the module.
And the ADD will have that functionality extended with the above. So business as normal hopefully.

Flimley.

Last edited:
I am seriously considering using an Anaconda for exploration after I reach elite in Combat.

Plenty of room for everything, but would miss the visibility of the Asp X.

I hope the become a limpet controller,
but at the time we can use probes,
we should already have the limpet controller bay.

I wish for those probes to reveal miners actively mining in asteroid belts, too.
As a pirate information really is ammunition.

So does this mean the probes are horizons content, as you will need an srv to locate the materials?
If they are based on a planet, then yes. If in a ring, I suspect it will be for everyone.
Interesting. It's possible. If the synthesis mats can be found by mining rings then no, but if the can only be found on planet surfaces then yes.

Well, it is supposed to find stuff on the planets, so not having horizons it doesn't have much sense to find places you can't go to.. IMO..

The lightweight option would be to stockpile materials and synth them as needed, which, in forum-speak, means “more grind”, guaranteed to be the #1 complaint.

There is an skilled component to use less limpets and do I expect them to be really cheap (right now they are cheap but not enough), so I do expect a 'git gud' strong position to that #1 complaint.

There is an skilled component to use less limpets and do I expect them to be really cheap (right now they are cheap but not enough), so I do expect a 'git gud' strong position to that #1 complaint.

We'll see about that, it currently just sounds like trick shots
using the physics of gravitational pull and limpet movement vectors.

I welcome probes to the table, but wish for a fully integrated release,
there is so much stuff i could do with the little sensors as a pirate.

Top Bottom