are ship interiors never coming?

and i disagree with your disagreement :)

Check the internals placement for Krait Mk2 - specifically the size 2 optional internal (which i may use for a SRV hangar) and tell me how it connects to the hatch?
It's all one big internal space, with enough extra space to move stuff around in it? I'm glad to see this, BTW. I remember from way back in the day that a couple people tested the layout of a Cobra Mark III's internal components by targeting them, much as the author of that website did, and confirmed that they all had unique locations inside the ship.

It's all one big internal space, with enough extra space to move stuff around in it? I'm glad to see this, BTW. I remember from way back in the day that a couple people tested the layout of a Cobra Mark III's internal components by targeting them, much as the author of that website did, and confirmed that they all had unique locations inside the ship.

all core and optional internals seem to have fixed/unique location inside the ship (obtained by using sub-targeting internals)

But that doesnt mean they cannot change all of this if they decide to add ship interiors, and they may go as far as alter the entire outfitting system
Or they can go the minimum effort path and implement some very basic interiors, carriers/station like, with only a very small number of areas accessible (access stairs/corridors, cockpit, rest/sleep/eat areas) thus not touching outfitting at all.

Yes, this. Odyssey has that ability, they just need to implement it. Also, the idea of getting out of our seat and repair stuff inside the ship was an idea that had a need for interiors, but since they couldn't (wouldn't) do it, the AMFU was the obvious alternative. Selling things to personalize your "captain's cabin" would be an obvious money-maker, especially if one could buy pets, desks, places to insert a photo of your own, etc. How many of us have requested a ship's cat?
And allow me to add one thing to this:
I am of the earnest oppinion that the entire idea of "RL-Physics" to be applied to Ship Interiors is 100% irrelevant to begin with ...
pls go and complain about the Speed-Limit for Real-Space-Drive before that ...
To Hell with that :D
Srsly.

They ran out of time and/or decided that was not necessary.
That's what i say 🙂

Btw I still think he was talking about tenuous atmospheres there, not necessarily planets with thicker atmospheres.
Since the pressure in light atmospheres is insufficient to significantly influence the ship flight behavior, i think not.

Check the internals placement for Krait Mk2 - specifically the size 2 optional internal (which i may use for a SRV hangar) and tell me how it connects to the hatch?
It's an official blueprint ?

For exemple :
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxmwEjBKlEY

The placement is determined by targeting internals - so it's actually real data, not someone's imagination
What do you mean by "targeting internals" ?
Llike in the vids i give ? Or this one ?

Edit : k, i think guess what you mean. They shoot the ship in the game and see which module is damaged to deduce where it is roughly positioned.

Last edited:
all core and optional internals seem to have fixed/unique location inside the ship (obtained by using sub-targeting internals)

But that doesnt mean they cannot change all of this if they decide to add ship interiors, and they may go as far as alter the entire outfitting system
Or they can go the minimum effort path and implement some very basic interiors, carriers/station like, with only a very small number of areas accessible (access stairs/corridors, cockpit, rest/sleep/eat areas) thus not touching outfitting at all.
I was answering your question, specifically on how does an SRV in the size 2 optional slot get to the cargo hatch. I've long assumed that all optional slots are simply part of one large cargo bay, which is made up of all the space that's left over when all other components: engines, reactor, FSD, hardpoints, and so on, are accounted for. A different game (like Frontier: Elite 2) would've allowed players to utilize that volume of space however they see fit, but this time Frontier chose to go with a module slot design instead.

Edit : k, i think guess what you mean. They shoot the ship in the game and see which module is damaged to deduce where it is roughly positioned.
Or subtarget a module and you'll see exactly where that module is.

IRC, @Old Duck made a Krait Phantom in Space Engineers, though SE's "large blocks" are 2.5m on a side, which IMO simulaneously too big for fuel conduits, and too small to accommodate things like power cable runs, which is why I tend to build ships using small blocks in Space Engineers.
FWIW, my Elite ships in Space Engineers are Elite / SE hybrids. Cosmetically and scale-wise, they are modeled around Elite ships, but practically they are SE ships, since I need to use SE mechanics (fuel tanks and lines, power plants and jump drives, etc), and I'm using a whole lot of imagination when it comes to interior layouts. Still, it was a great way to get the sense of scale of these ships. A Krait, for example, is pretty massive compared to the sense of scale I get in Elite - not just in physical size, but physics, as my SE Krait flies like a barge rather than an F-16 jet fighter like in Elite.

For exemple, this article which summarizeson an interview of principal designer Gareth Hughes :
Trying to find where it talks about thick atmospheres? However, it does talk about thin atmospheres and that they haven't finalized mechanics to adjust flight models, which I guess they decided not to, given that light atmospheres probably have a negligible impact overall and likely time constraints.

If you were to really think about it objectively, does it sound reasonable that a company that created a full scale representation of the MIlky Way, including composition and sunsets that reflect the composition of the atompshere itself, seeded throughout the entire galaxy would not be able to make a flight model work in thick atmospheres if that's what they decided to do? Especially seeing that the current flight model is looked at as one of the finest in the genre already?

And allow me to add one thing to this:
I am of the earnest oppinion that the entire idea of "RL-Physics" to be applied to Ship Interiors is 100% irrelevant to begin with ...
pls go and complain about the Speed-Limit for Real-Space-Drive before that ...
To Hell with that :D
Srsly.
that is a false equivalence tho.... elite lore states that FTL travel is real and the speed limit is a game play fudge combined with network limitation, but fake gravity isnt.
This is why i was dissapointed by how elite feet work HOWEVER...... that is because i believe that low gravity & zero gravity in game would be fun and more interesting than not.

but if the ONLY choice on the table hypothetically was ship interiors with magic gravity or no shio interiors at all then i would take the former.......... but would consider it a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
that is a false equivalence tho.... elite lore states that FTL travel is real, but fake gravity isnt.
[...] magic gravity [...]
Guardian tech could in theory be a source of future "magic" (there's a quote about that) artificial gravity.

Personally I find AG a bit immersion-breaking in small ships, but appropriate in large ships. Space Engineers is designed this way - AG is optional (otherwise you rely on realistic mag boots that allow you to walk on walls and ceilings), but only in larger ships.

Guardian tech could in theory be a source of future "magic" (there's a quote about that) artificial gravity.

Personally I find AG a bit immersion-breaking in small ships, but appropriate in large ships. Space Engineers is designed this way - AG is optional (otherwise you rely on realistic mag boots that allow you to walk on walls and ceilings), but only in larger ships.
no problem with this........ but with that in mind if you disable the energy generators it could lead to floating around, which again would be added interesting mechanincs.

that is a false equivalence tho.... elite lore states that FTL travel is real, but fake gravity isnt.
This is why i was dissapointed by how elite feet work HOWEVER...... that is because i believe that low gravity & zero gravity in game would be fun and more interesting that not.

but if the ONLY choice on the table hypothetically was ship interiors with magic gravity or no shio interiors at all then i would take the former.......... but would consider it a wasted opportunity.
I'd like to say that I'm currently fine with the way legs are implemented, and I do think that artificial gravity is something that should be given serious consideration as a way to remedy some of the inconsistencies surrounding station interiors, the Guardian tech narrative could be a good way to introduce it, or even some Thargoid tech.. However, I will also say that I would like to see zero-g onfoot stuff as well at some point so I'm with you on that one.

Last edited:
no problem with this........ but with that in mind if you disable the energy generators it could lead to floating around, which again would be added interesting mechanincs.
Something that always bothers me with "lazy" AG in shows and movies (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc) is that they never used AG to their advantage. For example, the ship is attacked and a heavy beam falls on a crewmate. Do they turn off the AG so they can easily lift the beam off the injured crew? No, of course not. Same goes when someone gets tossed off a high deck and is hanging on to the rail by one hand. Just turn off the AG! Heck, smart AG would only be applied to walking spaces, not the giant five story open space between decks.

In Space Engineers, I often toggle AG on or off depending on what I'm doing. Walking around, especially on stairs, is definitely easier in AG than it is with mag boots. Repairing holes in the ceiling, that's much easier in zero G (using a suit with built-in microthrusters to move around). And because AG uses a ton of power, I usually turn it off when I'm sitting, sleeping, etc.

Trying to find where it talks about thick atmospheres? However, it does talk about thin atmospheres and that they haven't finalized mechanics to adjust flight models, which I guess they decided not to, given that light atmospheres probably have a negligible impact overall and likely time constraints.

If you were to really think about it objectively, does it sound reasonable that a company that created a full scale representation of the MIlky Way, including composition and sunsets that reflect the composition of the atompshere itself, seeded throughout the entire galaxy would not be able to make a flight model work in thick atmospheres if that's what they decided to do? Especially seeing that the current flight model is looked at as one of the finest in the genre already?
I never said that FDev was not able to make an atmospheric flight model. Only that they had removed thick-atmosphere planets because they hadn't achieved the flight model. And that's why we never heard of thin/thick atmospheric planets before. Long story short, we would never have heard of this distinction if FDev had completed the model on time.

What happens if your ship is rammed when there is no gravity?

I never said that FDev was not able to make an atmospheric flight model. Only that they had removed thick-atmosphere planets because they hadn't achieved the flight model. And that's why we never heard of thin/thick atmospheric planets before. Long story short, we would never have heard of this distinction if FDev had completed the model on time.
That's the point though, they never said that thick atmospheres were part of Odyssey. The connection you are making doesn't exist.

It would definitely add gravity to the situation? tadum. pish..

I was going to say the same thing that happens in Space Engineers or an IRL destroyer when it gets rammed - people go flying!

But then I remembered that ramming in Elite is more magical than AG, where there is ZERO crumple or physical give, unlike ramming in SE where ramming is catastrophic and generally bad for one's health, AG or not.

indeed... one would hope this was taken into account however when it was teased as a future update. But this is one of the reasons why i postulated if ultimately Elite D 2 would not be easier....
Whenever I try to say this on these forums, I get piled on "How dare you say Elite Dangerous is ..."

Maybe I'm not using the right words in the right order. You say it much better than I do.

I was going to say the same thing that happens in Space Engineers or an IRL destroyer when it gets rammed - people go flying!

But then I remembered that ramming in Elite is more magical than AG, where there is ZERO crumple or physical give, unlike ramming in SE where ramming is catastrophic and generally bad for one's health, AG or not.
the more i hear about this the more i feel i need to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom