Artificial Intelligence - Why is it prohibited in Elite Universe?

Would love to have them lurking out there somewhere, or maybe an outbreak in the middle of the bubble as a crazy community goal.

CMDR CTCParadox

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Why have I just gone all the way upto brown alert on reading that?

Bill

<needs a phased plasma rifle in the 40 kw range

Yeah. People fixate on the Thargoids and worry about them... but who are the Thargoids worried about? There is ALWAYS someone bigger and meaner that you :)

Did the galaxy just get a little less friendly?

I remember a short story (not ED related) when a wealthy man got some information from a friendly alien species about an AI system they built. He did not get all of the relevant information, but set about building one for himself. He wasn't stupid, he had safeguards built in, and he (well, his team) succeeded in building one. Unfortunately after a few days it shut down, and nothing they could do could keep it switched on for more than a few seconds. This setback finished off the finances. When he got hold of his friendly alien he was told that this had happened to their AI, and, as far as they could tell, it was because the AI had computed everything it could, 'read' all it could find, and then 'died' of boredom!

Same reason why narcotics are still prohibited instead of having strict distribution regulations and that has even extended to tobacco in some jurisdictions.

Actually, more places have decriminalized or even legalized narcotics such as weed, because in practice it has shown to decrease related crimes, by legalizing it, since it never disappears.

Portugal’s Experiment in Drug Decriminalization Has Been a Success

This month, Portugal celebrates fourteen years of drug decriminalization. The grand experiment is now considered a happy success considering it was adopted out of desperation and in the face of dire warnings from proponents of the global drug war.

It is hard to blame the Portuguese for their concerns at that time. Decriminalization was considered a dangerous experiment and a dodge of the United Nations’ rules of the global war on drugs. However, mainstream drug policy experts remained “skeptical” of the Portuguese experiment even after nearly eight years of experience.

Mark Kleiman, director of the drug policy analysis program at UCLA, claims that Portugal was an unrealistic model. Peter Reuter, another leading drug policy expert, claimed that despite achieving its central goal (decreased consumption) it could be explained by the fact that Portugal was a small country and that drug abuse is cyclical in nature.

Remarkably, Dr. Goulão, who helped design and oversee the new law seems uninformed and perplexed at the positive outcomes even to this very day. He was recently quoted as saying: “it’s very difficult to identify a causal link between decriminalization by itself and the positive tendencies we have seen.”

One picture that sums up the Portuguese success story shows that Portugal has the second lowest death rate from illegal drugs in all of Europe after experiencing one of the worst rates with prohibition.

Humans are always afraid of change. This makes even more sense seeing how little has changed in the general structure of conservatism reigning supreme in the world of ED, with the Federation still finding itself split between republicans and liberals and the Empire having further degenerated to archaic social structures.

This is an imagination by lead-developers who have designed these factions and in not the definitive future of mankind.

There will also be more laissez faire, libertarian approach as well (the Alliance). AI won't be banned.... rather humans will adapt with AI and AI or sentient robots will have the rights of biological humans. AI widely used in the early 21st century, this will only increase as times goes on.

TL/DR: most probable is sentient robots will exist on par with humans in the future. Partial limitation of advanced AI makes sense, full ban on AI does not, because birth-rates are very low in developed countries, and AI is necessary to do a lot of work for humans.

Last edited:
Illegal or prohibited doesn´t mean its not used. Pirates and lawless drug cartels, crime lords or other types of moguls might use them for their own interest, and they may be produced in illegal underground facilities or on desolate space stations/outposts. Often when stuff are illegal, its suddenly everywhere.

Makes no sense, because: we shall get robotoc NPC crewman. which means, AI will be there. Second is maybe that this is the reason to "lore" the unbelievable low amount of non existent automation. because lets be honest, my modern car can automate more stuff than my 33rd century ship.

if AI would exist no player woudl be neded to haul cargo, the future would be totally automated. Therefore ban AI to give people a reason to exist and "play the game"

Actually NPC crewman were mentioned a while back but recently confirmed as not coming to multicrew as far as I remember. In the same way that NPC + player wings was mentioned and then dropped, never to be seen. It's another Open play only feature. I'm not sure what FD's game plan is, force those in solo to go open against their preference or to just leave the game altogether so they can turn off solo at a later date.

I'm an open play player by the way.

Exactly, ED is really one of the worst case scenarios of humanity, thus why such prejudices are what got the best of the total populace at the end.

Portugal probably got annexed ~2146 for such "liberties". :p

Last edited:
Nope, not gonna happen.

NPC crewmen is considered AI in the real world. If you do not metagame, then the NPC are actually living beings in the ED universe. Your comment makes even more little sense than what you claim OP does.

What OP says is basically true as far as the in game lore goes.

BTW, in game lore doesn't prohibit automation. It prohibits sentient machines. These are very different things and the lack of total automation in game is pure design choice, without attributing it to the lore in any way.

you were the one who claimed of "being well informed" in another threat, yet you ahve seem to forgotten that Living as well as robotic crewman were already told of by the devs. And yes thats exactly the sense it doesn't makes.

Artificial intelleinges ist not necessarily "sentient" in that context at all. So any NPC made of a non living entity needs a specific amount of AI to operate his job as engineer, gunner or whatever else there may come.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Nope, not gonna happen.

NPC crewmen is considered AI in the real world. If you do not metagame, then the NPC are actually living beings in the ED universe. Your comment makes even more little sense than what you claim OP does.

What OP says is basically true as far as the in game lore goes.

BTW, in game lore doesn't prohibit automation. It prohibits sentient machines. These are very different things and the lack of total automation in game is pure design choice, without attributing it to the lore in any way.

you were the one who claimed of "being well informed" in another threat, yet you ahve seem to forgotten that Living as well as robotic crewman were already told of by the devs. And yes thats exactly the sense it doesn't makes.

Artificial intelleinges ist not necessarily "sentient" in that context at all. So any NPC made of a non living entity needs a specific amount of AI to operate his job as engineer, gunner or whatever else there may come.

Actually NPC crewman were mentioned a while back but recently confirmed as not coming to multicrew as far as I remember. In the same way that NPC + player wings was mentioned and then dropped, never to be seen. It's another Open play only feature. I'm not sure what FD's game plan is, force those in solo to go open against their preference or to just leave the game altogether so they can turn off solo at a later date.

I'm an open play player by the way.

thta would be another dead feature. Why would one have a "multicrew" when they could bring 2 ships? That would only make sense for CQC when a multicrew ship has to fight a multicrew ship.

That tonnage is needed for the accommodation, life support and containment systems required to contain the slaves who remote-control your limpets for you.

possibyl true, now we know what all the robigo slave trades are for, bringing "components" for the limpet controllers.

If it's not "sentient", it's not "AI" in my book.
Just "computing".
NPCs are not "AI".
There is no real "AI" yet. Not even on say .. fruit fly level.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
I researched on the topic of AI in the Elite Universe and found out that AI is pretty much illegal in the galaxy and any studies about AI are shut down by all major factions. AI was proven to be so dangerous that it was prohibited.

my sources:

http://www.drewwagar.com/elitelore/ - Drew Wagar mentions that by the time of ED, AI is strictly controlled
https://youtu.be/O6z5OK8J5pg?t=510 - Michael Brookes talks vaguely about AI in general and why it is banned

Is there any more info on AI that we know of?

It's not AI that's banned, but machine sentience. You can still have smart computers, but they're not allowed to be self-aware.

Michael

Isaac Asimov came up with the 3 Robotic Laws, designed to protect us from the possibility of rogue robots attacking humans, but he was also able to circumvent these Laws (admittedly with some planning, and done in such a way as to prevent the robots in question knowing all the relevant details). All orders pass through the 3 Laws filters, and any that 'break' the laws are ignored.

First Law. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Third Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

If it's not "sentient", it's not "AI" in my book.
Just "computing".
NPCs are not "AI".
There is no real "AI" yet. Not even on say .. fruit fly level.

Yes and if its not brown it's an Ice cube by my definition.

Sry but what we personally define is not what an official definition of a term is. I also can define Russua as USA, because I like to do so. But in fact it's just not. A defined term is a defined term.

It's not AI that's banned, but machine sentience. You can still have smart computers, but they're not allowed to be self-aware.

Michael

That makes sense if that is the lore behind "forbidden AI" is those Ai being sentient.

Isaac Asimov came up with the 3 Robotic Laws, designed to protect us from the possibility of rogue robots attacking humans, but he was also able to circumvent these Laws (admittedly with some planning, and done in such a way as to prevent the robots in question knowing all the relevant details). All orders pass through the 3 Laws filters, and any that 'break' the laws are ignored.

First Law. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Third Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

easiest way to make anything invalid is to redefine the "human" definition within the machine.

Last edited:
Yes and if its not brown it's an Ice cube by my definition.

Sry but what we personally define is not what an official definition of a term is. I also can define Russua as USA, because I like to do so. But in fact it's just not. A defined term is a defined term.

That makes sense if that is the lore behind "forbidden AI" is those Ai being sentient.

You realize that what you wildly argued 2 lines up, you find "to make sense" 2 lines down. :p
"You can have smart computers, but not sentient computers, because sentient = AI"
Too much Cutter-ramming in the CZ? ;P

The very definition of AI requires the machine to be sentient Michael.

Since real sentience has not been done by now, I think many "kinda AI.. so let's call it AI .. or Siri" stuff has soaked into popular culture nowadays as "AI".
Heck, NPCs are called "AI", because they have a scripted "behaviour". ^^
If it doesn't pass the Voight-Kampff, shoot it! :D

And I've heard no human chess player, regardless of his ELO, has won over a dedicated chess computer in quite a while.
Are those chess computers "intelligent"? They have some "smart decisionmaking" - obviously better than humans - in a rather limited scenario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom