Asp X vs DBX thoughts from an explorer

Well as you know I recently ran a 20,000 light year trip in my DBX out to Hawking's Gap via the Outer Orion Spur (and had an absolute blast in doing it, too!). I had a number of goals with this, but one of them was to upgrade to a new ship when I got back. I'd managed to squeeze a 48 ly range out of my DBX without fully engineering the FSD, and when I got back I bought an Asp Explorer.

Thing is, like for like, with fully engineered FSDs it turns out my DBX slightly pips the Asp to the post in terms of range, with 54 lyrs standard jump range vs 52. Both can go slightly further at minumum mass but again the DBX wins out. True, the Asp X can fit a 6A fuel scoop which makes refilling the tank significantly faster, but with my playstyle I tend to sit on the star while scanning the system anyway, and naturally the DBX as the most heat-efficient ship in the game wins hands down there as well. Finally, in terms of handling (especially braking!) the DBX seems to have an advantage too.

So besides being a bit flashier but also more expensive if I break it :p without a Guardian FSD booster I'm wondering in what way the Asp X wins out? To get better performance out of the Asp X vs the DBX without an FSD booster I have to start sacrificing components (such as fitting a smaller fuel tank). All in all, I'm a bit surprised; I supposed I naively assumed that with the Asp X there'd be a significant step change from the DBX, in the same way that the DBX was a huge improvement over my Adder (love that ship, btw!).

I'm not saying that the AspX is a bad ship, it definitely isn't, but it's just very surprising how much of a run for its money an (on paper) cheaper ship gives it like for like. I'm toying with the idea of trading the AspX in and going for a Krait or Python explorer build. What do you guys reckon?

Well as you know I recently ran a 20,000 light year trip in my DBX out to Hawking's Gap via the Outer Orion Spur (and had an absolute blast in doing it, too!). I had a number of goals with this, but one of them was to upgrade to a new ship when I got back. I'd managed to squeeze a 48 ly range out of my DBX without fully engineering the FSD, and when I got back I bought an Asp Explorer.

Thing is, like for like, with fully engineered FSDs it turns out my DBX slightly pips the Asp to the post in terms of range, with 54 lyrs standard jump range vs 52. Both can go slightly further at minumum mass but again the DBX wins out. True, the Asp X can fit a 6A fuel scoop which makes refilling the tank significantly faster, but with my playstyle I tend to sit on the star while scanning the system anyway, and naturally the DBX as the most heat-efficient ship in the game wins hands down there as well. Finally, in terms of handling (especially braking!) the DBX seems to have an advantage too.

So besides being a bit flashier but also more expensive if I break it :p without a Guardian FSD booster I'm wondering in what way the Asp X wins out? To get better performance out of the Asp X vs the DBX without an FSD booster I have to start sacrificing components (such as fitting a smaller fuel tank). All in all, I'm a bit surprised; I supposed I naively assumed that with the Asp X there'd be a significant step change from the DBX, in the same way that the DBX was a huge improvement over my Adder (love that ship, btw!).

I'm not saying that the AspX is a bad ship, it definitely isn't, but it's just very surprising how much of a run for its money an (on paper) cheaper ship gives it like for like. I'm toying with the idea of trading the AspX in and going for a Krait or Python explorer build. What do you guys reckon?
I'f you're going to do any long duration exploration, don't worry about "on paper". Get the ship you like to fly the most.

Spend a play session going out to get the Guardian Modules blueprint(s) - the booster is worth the trip just for that! If you'd like company and backup on the Guardian Ruins send me a friend request and I'd be glad to accompany you.

I use the DBX, even with its slow scooping, most of the time when out in the black, nearly 68ly with a SRV on board :)

Love the Krait Phantom too, particularly with a 6A Scoop :) Good for around 61Ly jump without too many compromises - or 50+ with bigger shields, armour & guns :)

But, as @Straha Yeagar said, whatever you are comfortable in for a long journey makes best sense (y)

I would pick the T7 instead of those two. Here’s a luxury more-safe-than-necessary build with everything you could ever want and still with a nice jump range.

Those 3 x size 6 and 3 x size 5 compartments (10 in total) are really nice to have. I love the T7, and I still fly it even though I have the biggest ships in the game too. It has soul. The same reason why I still fly the Keelback too.

Despite the boxy design and size of the T7 it’s a very maneuverable ship and with a boost of over 400 it isn’t slow either.

You can get about 58 ly out or her if a minimalistic hardcore build is more you.

Last edited:
So besides being a bit flashier but also more expensive if I break it :p without a Guardian FSD booster I'm wondering in what way the Asp X wins out?

AspX wins out with better view, better internals and slightly better SC maneuverability.
While the small scooping ability of DBX might not be a problem exploring, it will induce a delay if you want to go faster from A to B.
Usually i'm using the DBX as bubble taxi or for shorter trips in Guardian space or to Crystalline Shards and the AspX for longer trips (Colonia and beyond)

With a good guide, unlocking the Guardian FSD Booster is about 3 hours in a lazy afternoon - including all the trips to/from Guardian site and running for human materials to unlock it. You won't regret doing it and you might even enjoy the atmospherics of a Guardian site.

And since Phantom was mentioned, this build still has 65.5 ly jump range while being able to have decent shields (it will probably withstand a boost crash with 4 pips in shields), repair limpets and the luxury of 2 SRV and SCA.
An AspX cannot beat that and keep in mind that i'm an AspX fan :)

…What do you guys reckon?

Just use the DBX. It is small enough to land everywhere, it runs cool, repairs are very cheap (integrity repair) and it gets the job done.

The DBX is my main exploration ship (the other is a FDS - don‘t ask - I used that for the Hawking gap tour, pre guardian FSD booster)

Whatever ship you get next, test how it handles in super cruise and the rest is just fluff in my opinion.

Top Bottom