Asus Rog Strix Motherboards Discussion and Elite.

Hi All :)
I'll put my motherboard and relevant hardware first for comparisons.

My Computer Specs.
Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 (bios version 1720)
Intel Core i5 12600 S Lga 1700
Crucial BX 500 1TB SSD.
Geforce 1060 -3 GB Gpu.
16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz
Fortis 5 ARGB Fan Cooler
Fractal Ion +2 Platinum 860 watt PSU
Coolermaster HAF X Case.
Windows 11 home Edition.

Okay, I mainly play in Horizons though I sometimes dip into Odyssey for planetary walkabouts or using the Vehicles.
Obviously the graphics card needs to be upgraded for playing Odyssey, but I'm waiting for gpu prices to settle down before forking out for a new one.
Saying that though, at the moment frame rates in Horizons is fine for me personally, Odyssey's okay, obviously gameplay is slower, but I accept the fact that I'm not getting the full potential of that part of the game but I don't bother with the FPS side of it anyway, at the moment.

I've created the topic for various reasons, I know that there's a few people on the forum that have recently upgraded their computers and hardware for playing Elite (and other games I presume) so the topic doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to the Asus motherboards, obviously I'm interested in the above motherboard to find out what other owners have experienced using these boards, but it would also be interesting and helpful to find out how other motherboards, (Intel and AMD) MSI, Gigabyte Asrock etc.compare with various settings and functions.

My personal experience with the Asus motherboard at the moment is I suppose generally ok, though I've encountered a few problems.
One problem is the onboard sound chip and software related issues.
I'm fairly sure I've got the right drivers installed for the onboard sound, most of the modern Strix boards I think have the Rog Supreme FX 7.1 Audio?
I've got the Realtek Audio Consul version 1.30.259.0, plus the Realtek driver version 6.3.9600.2307 installed.
I've got a set of 7.1 speakers (Creative) I can get sound from the front side speakers, the centre speaker (and subwoofer), and the rear speakers, but no sound from the two side speakers.
I've tried various permutations in the Realtek audio control but no luck so far, so I was wondering whether other people had similar problems?
I uninstalled the Armoury Crate software as I seemed to be getting some weird problems there as well, (anybody else have problems with this?). I'm using the MSI afterburner software for monitoring the Gpu & Cpu now.
I was also wondering what settings in the motherboard bios I should use, for example Dram settings or CPU settings, or should I keep with the default options (which for the dram is lower than 3200Mhz).
I'm playing Horizons at the moment, no apparent glitches and Cpu plus Gpu temperatures seem to be fairly low, 38-40c for the Gpu and roughly 28C for the Cpu.
Any input, advice or general comments, experiences, welcome. :)

Jack:)

Last edited:
Nice Post.
Firstly your gpu.
Upgrade that before anything else.
Simply put, the upgrade will not only give you more fps etc, it'll also give you a good new bench from which to tweek your board ram chip etc.
Doing the tweeks 1st won't increase overall fps by any % even close to upgrading the gpu.
A Bios update for your mainboard might address the sound issues.
Once your new gpu is in place.
THEN start over clocking tweeking etc.
In VR we're obsessed with fps hehe..

Oh don't forget windows 11. It's awful! Check the forum posts for tweeks that do make alot of difference overall

GL
o7

Last edited:
I've got the Realtek Audio Consul version 1.30.259.0, plus the Realtek driver version 6.3.9600.2307 installed.
I've got a set of 7.1 speakers (Creative) I can get sound from the front side speakers, the centre speaker (and subwoofer), and the rear speakers, but no sound from the two side speakers.

Make sure you have a 7.1 configuration selected in the windows sound properties under "configure".

If you're using analog output make sure the speakers are plugged in correctly:
LnxitNu.png

I was also wondering what settings in the motherboard bios I should use, for example Dram settings or CPU settings, or should I keep with the default options (which for the dram is lower than 3200Mhz).

If you want the memory to run at 3200MT/s, which is what it's specified for, you either need to set it up manually, or enable XMP.

Hi Morebad :)

Checked all the settings for sound and speaker configuration in Windows. Ok except for Side speakers, no sound output.
Checked all rear motherboard audio connections. All ok.
Checked all connections rear of Subwoofer / Amplifier. etc. All ok
Scratches head....:unsure:
Solution!
In the Realtek Audio Control menu main page, bottom left, device advanced settings, connector re-tasking, click on (choice box) Line in (Default) or Side speaker Out. :rolleyes:
Edit...Set dram to XMP, seems to extend the boot up time, so I set it manually at 3000Mhz to start with. Boot up time now normal (faster)...?
Jack :)

Last edited:
Hi Dragsham :)

Nice Post.
Firstly your gpu.
Upgrade that before anything else.
Oh don't forget windows 11. It's awful! Check the forum posts for tweeks that do make alot of difference overall
GL
o7
Thanks (y)
Graphics cards were going down in price a few weeks ago, the GTX 3060Ti which I had my eye on has gone up in price again by about £30. Was £519, now £549 which was where it was 3 weeks ago. So until the GTX 4000, prices, problems and supply settles down I think high end current GPU's are going to fluctuate. I'll wait before upgrading. 😉
Yeah, windows 11 takes some getting used to 😒....but getting there, I think.🙂

Jack 🙂

the GTX 3060Ti which I had my eye on has gone up in price again by about £30. Was £519, now £549 which was where it was 3 weeks ago
Already? Damn, I paid like £350 for mine just a few months ago. It wasn't as big as an upgrade over my RX 580 8GB as I was expecting though, and I've still yet to justify the price... For you the extra VRAM would be handy at least.

Top Bottom