Autorun

I don't have the game up right now. But right under (?) the run keybind for running you should see an option for how running works. You can select to toggle it on or off.

As I'm typing this, I'm beginning to wonder if that's what you're asking about. Is that what you're looking for?

Ah yes, I mean a button that you tap that sets your character to automatically walk/run forward without you having to hold the key down.

Ah yes, I mean a button that you tap that sets your character to automatically walk/run forward without you having to hold the key down.

Ok. We're talking about the same thing. You can set your run keybind to do that. That option is right under the keybind for running, if I recall correctly.

No it's different- there's a run walk toggle for some reason and a toggle or hold to run--I'm talking about a button you press once and your character automatically moves forward without you having to hold the forward button. So you can be AFK while your character runs toward a destination.

The only other thing I could imagine is if they allowed you to change the behavior of a key like they do with other functions. Or try setting your throttle to set your walking speed.

Just bumping this as it's nearly a year later and this would still be a very welcome addition.

Given that crossing hangar bays and walking the half-click back to a recalled ship happens a lot, and requires a lot of button-holding, it'd be genuinely good for the health of people's hands to add an auto-run.

Seconded. We need autorun as an option.
Yes, we have toggles for walk/run as well as the option for the sprint key to be a toggle or hold it down the whole time (I choose toggle). But we desperately need an auto-run... especially for those of us who are older and have issues where repeatedly holding down a key can cause pain (fibromyalgia in my case).

You can get by without it when in stations, or even when in (most) settlements (exception being the long strip tourist outposts). But when you have to flee an outpost that has a CAP of hostile ships overhead, who may have already blown up your SRV, and you have to RUN 4 km away from the base to get mission completion and/or have a chance to safely recall your ship or flee via Apex... oh yes, then we ALL would benefit from autorun.

Frontier, please make this happen. You already have a billion keybinds for this game... what harm is there in a billion and one? :)

Yes, we have toggles for walk/run as well as the option for the sprint key to be a toggle or hold it down the whole time (I choose toggle). But we desperately need an auto-run... especially for those of us who are older and have issues where repeatedly holding down a key can cause pain (fibromyalgia in my case).

You can get by without it when in stations, or even when in (most) settlements (exception being the long strip tourist outposts). But when you have to flee an outpost that has a CAP of hostile ships overhead, who may have already blown up your SRV, and you have to RUN 4 km away from the base to get mission completion and/or have a chance to safely recall your ship or flee via Apex... oh yes, then we ALL would benefit from autorun.

Frontier, please make this happen. You already have a billion keybinds for this game... what harm is there in a billion and one? :)
I am not against this being introduced but as I just push the throttle further forward to run I am not convinced of the need especially as you start to slow down from exhaustion so quickly.

A reasonable HOTAS set up seems to solve a lot of the games control issues.

Yes, binding run to a slider or using one of many software macro solutions to set up a toggle works (and is what I do), but there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't add an official auto-run bind. Most modern games that require you to cover long, empty distances regularly have one.

It's not just an issue of convenience but also health, as a sometime RSI sufferer I'm acutely aware of the strain button holds put on your hands versus varied taps. Not everyone is willing to put in the effort to finding a workaround, it should just be an accessibility option.

(edit: that or, and this would actually be my preference, don't make me walk across the entire hangar or land my ship 500+m away from me every... single... time.)

I am not against this being introduced but as I just push the throttle further forward to run I am not convinced of the need especially as you start to slow down from exhaustion so quickly.

I'm not sure how many people would want to use a HOTAS for ground combat. Seems clunky to me.

I use an Xbox 360 controller for ship/SRV and everything is fine there; I also often use VoiceAttack+HCS voicepacks for convenience and fun. I use mouse and keyboard when on foot because mouse+keyboard is more accurate/easy to control for fps than a controller.

All that said, I think your missing the issue: I do use the toggle for Sprint and yes, you eventually do slow down to a jog. After a short break, I can hit sprint again. The problem is there is no "automove forward" (usually referred to as autorun, but being specific here) which means you have to hold a key down constantly to move. Over long periods of time, that can cause pain.

This isn't the only game I have this problem with. No Man's Sky actually induces this a lot more than Elite does. It would just be nice to have this option when you need to move long (multiple kilometer) distances on foot).

I also agree, there should be a command for automove forward. I find myself missing that a lot like they have in World of Warcraft.

Top Bottom