AX flag cannons how to use

Dear team, I am eager to improve my fighting skill with hunting thargoids. but that is a very hard game. Besides the fact, that I still fly alone after month of searching for company, I still struggle with the use of the flag cannon. I am able to hunt down 5 marauder types with my kraight mkII, but when it comes to an interceptor with its swarm , i have no idea how to use the flak cannon. Just by chance I managed to reduce the swarm to 8%, the next moment I turned it was at 32% again and my hull was down to 56%. Its that hard for newbies and I was at least 20 times in the situation to simply gave up thargoid hunting, too many blown ups. My idea is to give a training area where i can try all the weapons. for now its very disappointing and frustrating to have no chance against these thargoids. I know that there are a lot of skilled commanders who may laugh about my comments, but everyone starts as a beginner and having the requirements so high is not encourging for everyone. I wont give up, but will take me another year to get some experience and success. Thanks for reading

you mean frag cannons?
they are close range weapons
think of them like shot guns.
you are supposed to be up in your opponents face to use them.
Also this is the suggestion forum not the help forum

Flak cannons, the ones you shoot the Thargon swarm with. They are a bit tricky. IMO, the best way to start learning them is to pull a reverski and shoot the swarm as it comes at you. I have also noted the Thargoid replenishing its swarm thing. They didn't do that the last time I was actively fighting them.

The only practical way to use flak cannons is having the swarm chase you, boost away, a 180 turn in FA-off (aka reverski), shoot the swarm. If the swarm is chasing anyone else, they.turn much too often to be targeted.

Dear team, I am eager to improve my fighting skill with hunting thargoids. but that is a very hard game. Besides the fact, that I still fly alone after month of searching for company, I still struggle with the use of the flag cannon. I am able to hunt down 5 marauder types with my kraight mkII, but when it comes to an interceptor with its swarm , i have no idea how to use the flak cannon. Just by chance I managed to reduce the swarm to 8%, the next moment I turned it was at 32% again and my hull was down to 56%. Its that hard for newbies and I was at least 20 times in the situation to simply gave up thargoid hunting, too many blown ups. My idea is to give a training area where i can try all the weapons. for now its very disappointing and frustrating to have no chance against these thargoids. I know that there are a lot of skilled commanders who may laugh about my comments, but everyone starts as a beginner and having the requirements so high is not encourging for everyone. I wont give up, but will take me another year to get some experience and success. Thanks for reading
Hey 7Seven,
have a look at this thread here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...e-and-ship-outfit-suggestions-for-all.390599/

It's has lots of information on how to fight the thargoids, videos of how which show the flak cannons being used against the swarm. Using the flak is hard to describe in words. Seeing them used, and the timing of the trigger release as the hud flashes red, gives a better understanding I think.

The thread author also started a group called the Anti-Xeno Initiative who have a discord (group) server and, by all accounts, they welcome new players who want to learn. The link is in the thread.

edit: clarifying

Last edited:
Hey 7Seven,
have a look at this thread here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...e-and-ship-outfit-suggestions-for-all.390599/

It's has lots of information on how to fight the thargoids, videos of how which show the flak cannons being used against the swarm. Using the flak is hard to describe in words. Seeing them used, and the timing of the trigger release as the hud flashes red, gives a better understanding I think.

The thread author also started a group called the Anti-Xeno Initiative who have a discord (group) server and, by all accounts, they welcome new players who want to learn. The link is in the thread.

edit: clarifying

Hello Sgurr, thank you very much, I will check out the link to get more informations and maybe give it a second try with the AXI, for the first time it did not worked out for me, I had to high expectations.

...my final post on this. I tried to join the AXI for three times in the last 2 month. but I left finally today again. There are a lot of great guys and a helpful community, but the rules they setup have a military flavor to me, what is not my way. I also like to improve my Thargoid fighting skills and I already got a lot of good recommondation from AXI group members, we were fighting together, which was very nice. But when I read the rules its not that kind of gameplay I admire. I would not say that I am lazy or not ambitious, but the given structure was not attractive to me. I will never get back to the AXI group, but will go on with Thargoid fighting Meanwhile I got an answer to my inital post, the AX flag cannons are the one and only way to kill the swarm, i simply need more experience, so I will do mostly alone again, Fly Save

Or simply ignore the swarm. If you add extra hull reinforcements (or engineer the ones you have already) and have a fast ship like a Krait Mk2 then you can avoid the swarm most of the time. The few times the swarm does catch you your ship can absorb the damage.

When i started i used an FGS with a fighter bay to get my first Cyclops kill. Basically use SLF’s as cannon fodder for the swarm.
Keep at it, when you first pop one, you will be king for a day at least👍 then work on taking out the swarm.

o7

Many many thanks for your encouraging comments and hints. Until today i do not gave up, but now I will - at least the solo part. My full engineered Kraight MkII, with 2 remote flak cannons 2 grade and 3 guardian plasma loaders 3grade, EGM, 4 decontamination limpets, hull reinforcements, shield booster, dirty drive, power plant and distributer at max, biwave shields 2500 hull, 600 shields ... I am fail on the swarm in a solo cyclops fight. All the videos i saw are like a nice walk in the park on a lovely summerday. When I try to fight a cyclops, the swarm is that fast, even in reverse speed i can only target three times at max before it hits me and its maneuvering like mad, so with the slow remote flak its a game of chance. I can destroy one swarm, but then the next one appears within a minute without having seriously hit the cyclops nor hit a heart. Managed at max to destroy two swarms, but my hull was down to 18% then. And what seems also special to me, I am always facing caustic missiles, not one, always when i turn around and try to fly my next attack to the swarm. Again, - its that fast, always hits me - its maneuvering like hell - always caustic missiles - the cyclops is always attacking me. Maybe I have to practice and practice again, but my patience is not that strong that I will try this for the next half year. Bigger ships are no choice for me right now, even if I could. I will only fly in company in future, sad to say so, but Solo Cyclops is nothing for me.Good luck and fly save

Many many thanks for your encouraging comments and hints. Until today i do not gave up, but now I will - at least the solo part. My full engineered Kraight MkII, with 2 remote flak cannons 2 grade and 3 guardian plasma loaders 3grade, EGM, 4 decontamination limpets, hull reinforcements, shield booster, dirty drive, power plant and distributer at max, biwave shields 2500 hull, 600 shields ... I am fail on the swarm in a solo cyclops fight. All the videos i saw are like a nice walk in the park on a lovely summerday. When I try to fight a cyclops, the swarm is that fast, even in reverse speed i can only target three times at max before it hits me and its maneuvering like mad, so with the slow remote flak its a game of chance. I can destroy one swarm, but then the next one appears within a minute without having seriously hit the cyclops nor hit a heart. Managed at max to destroy two swarms, but my hull was down to 18% then. And what seems also special to me, I am always facing caustic missiles, not one, always when i turn around and try to fly my next attack to the swarm. Again, - its that fast, always hits me - its maneuvering like hell - always caustic missiles - the cyclops is always attacking me. Maybe I have to practice and practice again, but my patience is not that strong that I will try this for the next half year. Bigger ships are no choice for me right now, even if I could. I will only fly in company in future, sad to say so, but Solo Cyclops is nothing for me.Good luck and fly save

Thats a wall of text! Hopefully you have 450+ boost. So...

Shoot the cyclops once, boost away to say 5km distance, fly backwards (fa off reverski is best), try to take out the swarm. Once its gone, hammer the cyclops, expose a heart, destroy the heart, boost away, recharge shields.

Then repeat x3.

You can do it.

o7

I highly recommend using gauss instead of plasmas, they have a super high distributor draw and a damage falloff that starts at 500m if I'm not mistaken.
7seven, this is great advice, the plasma chargers are the hardest guardian weapon to use. Use gauss if you can, if you find them hard then use shard. Both at 1.5km or less to expose the heart, you'll then need to be closer with shard to do good damage to the heart.
Have you tried AX multicannon, fixed and turret? What do you think of them?

There are lots of people here who would like to help if you want it, as I said above I think using flak is hard to describe in words.
I could do a video or pictures to describe in detail how to use the flak? What would you prefer?

Just to check what is your boost speed?

Have you tried AX multicannon, fixed and turret? What do you think of them?
I would use the turrets only for scouts.
There are lots of people here who would like to help if you want it, as I said above I think using flak is hard to describe in words.
I could do a video or pictures to describe in detail how to use the flak? What would you prefer?
There are plenty of kill videos where you see how flak is used, pick any.

I highly recommend using gauss instead of plasmas, they have a super high distributor draw and a damage falloff that starts at 500m if I'm not mistaken.
1000m, but it's still too low. Should be 2000m like the Human Plasma Accelerators. Cyclops is still perfectly manageable with a Plasma and Gauss combo, but the tougher interceptors get too hard.

I would use the turrets only for scouts.
Before guardian weapons came along ax turrets were used a lot. They're useful for heart damage for those who struggle with fixed.

There are plenty of kill videos where you see how flak is used, pick any.
7Seven has said they've watched videos and it hasn't helped. I'm assuming, although I'd like to hear from 7Seven, that there's some information that they're not getting from them. Knowing what that is will help us provide it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can please someone tell me if the turret AX/guardian weapons act as normal turrets or they require multicrew? Thanks.

Top Bottom