AX Ship advice please

Need some advice on creating a Thargoid Scout Killer ship and a Thargois Interceptor Killer ship, don't mind creating 2 different ships.

I have all ships, all guardian weapons & modules and all engineers unlocked, just in process of getting the prismatic shields should have those in a weeks time.

I have been using this Krait MK II build, AX Krait MK II but finding it is a bit slow against scouts and not effective against interceptors changed build swapping out the decon limpets for another engineered hull reinforcement module ditto the cargo hold (I have managed to solo a cyclops but anything more like basilisk or 2 cyclops in a CZ and get wasted).

I don't use fighters as trying to rank upto Elite so need the xp points.

My regular ship is the Corvette for non-ax combat and still getting used to fixed weapons, slowly getting better with the gauss gun for hearts but Krait doesn't last too long in a furball, maybe its a tactics question?

Anyway, any help appreciated in creating a super bug killing ship(s). Thanks

Could you explain this a bit more? That should be fine against scouts.
I use this, it's great fun.
Your Krait looks like a perfectly good build to me.
For interceptors, gauss cannon all the way.

Thanks for the reply, spped wise it usually takes 3-4 passes before I kill the scout, I would hope to ace it in 1-2 passes max.

Same build for interceptors, other than gauss? I tried 4 gauss and ended up doing more damage to my ship than the goids did!

You wouldn't recommend any larger ships for lasting power?

Thanks for the reply, spped wise it usually takes 3-4 passes before I kill the scout, I would hope to ace it in 1-2 passes max.

Same build for interceptors, other than gauss? I tried 4 gauss and ended up doing more damage to my ship than the goids did!

You wouldn't recommend any larger ships for lasting power?
Can't really advise about larger ships personally.
Cutters seem very popular in AX CZs.

As for the Scouts, yeh, two passes, not sure how to explain:
They're AX turrets but treat them like gimbals, keep the target in the reticle as much as possible, try and position your ship to give the turrets an easy shot. The Scouts do seem to follow a fairly repetitive flight track when attacking you.

Can't really advise about larger ships personally.
Cutters seem very popular in AX CZs.
Advantage of cutters is that they can pack all the modules. You generally need more stuff for an AX CZ: Decon limpets, SFN... which you normally wouldn't pack in interceptor fights. Also it can outrun interceptors, except for basilisk, which makes it way better than Conda and Corvette.

Need some advice on creating a Thargoid Scout Killer ship and a Thargois Interceptor Killer ship, don't mind creating 2 different ships.

I have all ships, all guardian weapons & modules and all engineers unlocked, just in process of getting the prismatic shields should have those in a weeks time.

I have been using this Krait MK II build, AX Krait MK II but finding it is a bit slow against scouts and not effective against interceptors changed build swapping out the decon limpets for another engineered hull reinforcement module ditto the cargo hold (I have managed to solo a cyclops but anything more like basilisk or 2 cyclops in a CZ and get wasted).

I don't use fighters as trying to rank upto Elite so need the xp points.

My regular ship is the Corvette for non-ax combat and still getting used to fixed weapons, slowly getting better with the gauss gun for hearts but Krait doesn't last too long in a furball, maybe its a tactics question?

Anyway, any help appreciated in creating a super bug killing ship(s). Thanks
Check out our AX Knowledge Base: https://axi.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AKB/pages/33381/Ship+Builds+and+Engineering
Edit: Your ship is perfectly fine and it should hold pretty good against Scouts. You can slap a Gauss instead of the medium MC to practice fixed shots and speed up your kills. Scouts die with 5 gauss shots.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the advice so far, the problem I have with gauss guns (always with 4 sometimes with only 2) is my ship starts to melt, all modules stop working. When using 4 gauss I need the guardian power plant. Does this vs the engineered pp with thermal spread make a big difference?

How often can you shoot 4 gauss guns without wrecking your own ship?

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far, the problem I have with gauss guns (always with 4 sometimes with only 2) is my ship starts to melt, all modules stop working. When using 4 gauss I need the guardian power plant. Does this vs the engineered pp with thermal spread make a big difference?

How often can you shoot 4 gauss guns without wrecking your own ship?
Use heatsinks for that. Deploy one before you start firing, deploy the next when you hear the previous one pop from your ship.

Could you explain this a bit more? That should be fine against scouts.
Your Krait looks like a perfectly good build to me.
For interceptors, gauss cannon all the way.

Krait Mk II is excellent against scouts. It can chain boost indefinitely, even with a lower rated Power Distributor. Between it's speed, loadout options and interior visibility, it's a pretty decent ship for hunting Thargoid Scouts.

With that build the Cyclops is the only Interceptor you will ever kill.
Biggest problem now is fast click through bugged (1) menus and pick proper heart in target. Guess will have to kill Cyclops until get used to do it visually.
Internal ship's UI is just awful for fast combat. In other MMOs I have 20-30 key strokes and just press it fast.

Biggest problem now is fast click through bugged (1) menus and pick proper heart in target. Guess will have to kill Cyclops until get used to do it visually.
Internal ship's UI is just awful for fast combat. In other MMOs I have 20-30 key strokes and just press it fast.
You can set subtargeting to mousewheel.

You can set subtargeting to mousewheel.
It does not show state of heart. It is shown only in menu & visual. That's why i say need to get used to visual. I don't see it 100% yet, sometiems cant decide it is already or yet normal. Also other issues, like can't see clear it is 8% or 0% :D at least at 0% it do shield - some tip.

It does not show state of heart. It is shown only in menu & visual. That's why i say need to get used to visual. I don't see it 100% yet, sometiems cant decide it is already or yet normal. Also other issues, like can't see clear it is 8% or 0% :D at least at 0% it do shield - some tip.

Is that really hard to see?

GZXh1JJ.png

from back side it is different, but can be hit. Also from big distance - it is.
Also speed of combat does not allow think & read. Need 1-click sequences. In other MMO such annoying can be target switching. if 1-tab does not target what I want - it is bad targeting system and needs fixes. For example, in Elite submodules traversing could start from where noise of ship points. Then it would be easy, just visualy target and press buttton once. Now I may need many button presses, which forces me to pay attention to it = slows down.

That's why build which is based on boost & out and repairs. Because 5kms away i can read all that menus slow and make desicision, while ship repairs.
Takes 8 mins for Cyclope btw, and about 3 limpets to full. 70% at the end then.
Well, bigger guys may 1shot ship, u meant that? ... Any way I dont think MK-2 is supposed to solo top guy. This one works fine until it can hold at least 3 direct hits.

Last edited:
from back side it is different, but can be hit. Also from big distance - it is.
Also speed of combat does not allow think & read. Need 1-click sequences. In other MMO such annoying can be target switching. if 1-tab does not target what I want - it is bad targeting system and needs fixes. For example, in Elite submodules traversing could start from where noise of ship points. Then it would be easy, just visualy target and press buttton once. Now I may need many button presses, which forces me to pay attention to it = slows down.

That's why build which is based on boost & out and repairs. Because 5kms away i can read all that menus slow and make desicision, while ship repairs.
Takes 8 mins for Cyclope btw, and about 3 limpets to full. 70% at the end then.
Well, bigger guys may 1shot ship, u meant that? ... Any way I dont think MK-2 is supposed to solo top guy. This one works fine until it can hold at least 3 direct hits.
Mk.II is one of the best ships to "solo top guy" in fact. But it is not meant to be soloed in general.
Back to your build, it has multiple problems:
Shard cannons might sound good in theory but their armor penetration and range is very low, Gauss are the much better option. If you get 800m or closer, the interceptor will try to use it's lightning attack on you, so you want to stay further away than that.
The fighter hangar should be thrown out completely as it only benefits you in multicrew (and with a Guardian Lance).
The Guardian Hull Reinforcements only give benefit when flying without shields equipped, as the bleedthrough damage is absolute and regular HRPs provide more HP.
You want 2 heatsink launchers to stay cold, you can throw out the shutdownfield neutraliser as staying cold will prevent the EMP from being fired.
Decontamination limpet controller can be thrown out too, not needed for solo fights as you can prevent missiles form being launched by staying cold, or simply outrun them if they get fired.

For the heart targeting: You will hear a sound when it gets exerted and starts glowing red as seen in the pic. You don't need to subtarget it to damage it but it does help and as Eckee mentioned, you can put sub-target-cycle on mouse wheel to select it quickly. Or just select it via the target menu, I do that all the time and don't have any problems with that.

Top Bottom