General / Off-Topic Bablyon 5 getting a remake/reboot

Sounds like JMS wants to redo it like they redid Battlestar Galactica or Westworld. So not the same story, but the same setting.

If he can do for B5 what the BG remake did for the 70s BG, it should be awesome.
Hopefully he gets the required number of seasons this time to do the arc story properly 😁

I also hope they take the fewer-episodes-but-higher-quality approach of other series - Season 1 of BSG opposed to Season 2, say. I like how the new Lost In Space is only doing three series and each episode (in my opinion) has been very enjoyable 👍

BSG was awesome the whole way (mostly) ... GoT was a mess by the end.
The wheels came off for me with the semi mystical crap and totally silly ending.

I can fully understand Dean Stockwells character shooting himself in the head because logic went out the window later on.

S1 was epic and had a proper feeling of dread. That only got replicated later when they settled and caught occupied by the Cylons (with Galactica doing its drop in the atmosphere and Pegasus going out like a boss).

gonna be hard to do a good B5 reboot if they keep the story mostly the same...it wasn't that long ago and a lot of the B3 sheridan stuff spoils the entire series if you go in knowing it.

The wheels came off for me with the semi mystical crap and totally silly ending.

I can fully understand Dean Stockwells character shooting himself in the head because logic went out the window later on.

S1 was epic and had a proper feeling of dread. That only got replicated later when they settled and caught occupied by the Cylons (with Galactica doing its drop in the atmosphere and Pegasus going out like a boss).

That scene was awesome... as was the final attack scene of the galactica ...nose diving into the cylon station. a space combat sim game that could give you that scene periodically in VR ..... Unff.. that game would be awesome sauce.

just low wake way too close to an atmo planet over a settlement, everything on fire around you as you target their turrets and take them out ....spinning up your fsd as you plummet faster and drop your landing pod as your ship crew jump out at the last moment and your pod touches down with smoke all around you as you run out of the pod to storm the settlement.

Yea, that would be a cool option to take if you had the skill to pull off the timing.

That scene was awesome... as was the final attack scene of the galactica ...nose diving into the cylon station. a space combat sim game that could give you that scene periodically in VR ..... Unff.. that game would be awesome sauce.

just low wake way too close to an atmo planet over a settlement, everything on fire around you as you target their turrets and take them out ....spinning up your fsd as you plummet faster and drop your landing pod as your ship crew jump out at the last moment and your pod touches down with smoke all around you as you run out of the pod to storm the settlement.

Yea, that would be a cool option to take if you had the skill to pull off the timing.
I loved it when Galactica looked dead and Adama was like 'welp', only for the shot to track back and then you grin at whats going to happen :D

Something I wonder as well: will JMS draw on the numerous TV films and Crusade as well I wonder?

I loved it when Galactica looked dead and Adama was like 'welp', only for the shot to track back and then you grin at whats going to happen :D

Something I wonder as well: will JMS draw on the numerous TV films and Crusade as well I wonder?

A B5 remake that takes place after the main events of the original series wouldn't be too bad. Lots of crazy stuff happens between then and the ascension of mankind. Plenty to work with there.

Also it had a proper feeling of being sci fi in those early episodes. Then it turned into a soap opera, and it kinda lost me at that point.

Babylon 5 got the "soap opera" side of things right IMO, with really good interpersonal character development. Not that it was perfect - it fell apart for me after the rushed ending to the Shadow War, but the first few seasons were pretty epic.

BSG was awesome the whole way (mostly) ... GoT was a mess by the end.

Enjoyed BG mostly except for the season where they spent all the time on that planet. The ending was a bit of a mixed bag. Still thoroughly enjoyed it overall though.

This is one of my favourite funny vids about the new BG.

But with JMS at the helm of a B5 remake, i have more hope of an overall quality series.

gonna be hard to do a good B5 reboot if they keep the story mostly the same...it wasn't that long ago and a lot of the B3 sheridan stuff spoils the entire series if you go in knowing it.

As I understand that is why its going to be a reboot rather than a remake. Since a lot of the appeal of the original B5 was the reveals, to repeat it would be a mistake. We'd know everything. I suspect its going to be a different story with the same general idea in the same universe.

As I understand that is why its going to be a reboot rather than a remake. Since a lot of the appeal of the original B5 was the reveals, to repeat it would be a mistake. We'd know everything. I suspect its going to be a different story with the same general idea in the same universe.
I really hope they let JMS do the story arc properly this time.

the thing about remaking it without revealing the same reveals is that it's going to be really difficult to construct a different story when the end of the mimbari attack (and the attack itself - as their entire civilization) is so reliant on the events that happen later in the B5 series that you dont find out until then.

maybe it doesn't matter than 30 somethings and older know the details ... I think it'll be missing out a lot though if they do that plotline again though. And without it.... do you even have a recognizable B5 series? Not unless you're taking place after the series events i think.

without the b3 arc ...you're mostly in DS9 territory. Not that that's bad....but i mean, DS9 already did DS9. So now you have 2 shows you'll be directly compared to and have to be better than to be seen successful. And those aren't small shadows (hah. pun) to crawl out from.

A B5 remake that takes place after the main events of the original series wouldn't be too bad. Lots of crazy stuff happens between then and the ascension of mankind. Plenty to work with there.
They sorta tried that with Crusade and Rangers and there was no lightning in the bottle, so to say I am apprehensive is an understatement. But the last Sheridan film showed what an immense difference modern graphics does for the look of a show though so that will be good.

Top Bottom