Baghdad Bob

Read the following as if presented by a late-night comedian - with some humor, but also with a point to be made:

Do you old-timers remember the Iraqi Information Minister from the first second Gulf War? He was nicknamed "Baghdad Bob", and he was famous for his "spin" on how the war was going. He made a host of hilarious statements, including "[Americans] are not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion." as US forces were actively driving tanks through the streets of Baghdad.

Today's livestream kinda felt like a Baghdad Bob moment. Ed played the game on a PS4, flying a Diamondback Explorer, acting as if:

BaghdadBob.jpg

I kept wanting him to look down at his (virtual) hands during a hyperspace jump, or perhaps land at an asteroid base or even visit a RES - anything so we could all collectively witness the terrible graphical issues many of us have been dealing with since 2.4 released. However, it felt more like, "See, there are no texture issues even 100 miles of the PS4. They are not in any place. Popping textures and geometry is an illusion ... Complaining players are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

Not an accusation, more of an observation... It's actually kinda funny when you compare it with Baghdad Bob :D

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Texture pop from low to high resolution has to be honest always been a thing to a lesser or greater extent with the PS4. I honestly can't replicate your low res hands that sticks in 2.4.0.3 (1.09).

Best I can do (this while annoying is just that, annoying. I still enjoy the game) as after a few seconds the textures load. I get the same with asteroids (sometimes) and stations (sometimes).

This example was able to be replicated on the PS4 devkits at #FX2017. (both videos PS4 Pro Quality Mode, left the loading menu to show I am just going into Open play)

[video=youtube_share;-YLLz9ZPvqI]https://youtu.be/-YLLz9ZPvqI[/video]

Edit: uploading a second video which shows the similar texture issue with the station background. Look at the walls, and wall panels on the front and sides. Very low LOD which eventually pops.

[video=youtube;b0h4fON1A9c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0h4fON1A9c[/video]

Last edited:
Texture pop from low to high resolution has to be honest always been a thing to a lesser or greater extent with the PS4. I honestly can't replicate your low res hands that sticks in 2.4.0.3 (1.09).

See, I don't remember texture popping in 2.3, so whatever you are experiencing must be very minor compared to what I'm experiencing, as this wasn't even on my radar until 2.4 dropped. What's really weird is that I would normally just dismiss it as, "I'm on a Slim, you're on a Pro, case closed," but others are reporting this issue on their PS4 Pros.

Unfortunately, I worry that FDev will back-burner this because it doesn't affect everyone equally. Perhaps I can remind you of how you felt about "teargate" (something that I considered "just annoying, nothing more"), and then you'll understand why "texturegate" is a serious issue for those of us suffering from it.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I don't like any of these graphical bugs to be honest. I am not happy with what I see in my videos. Hell I've posted enough graphic issue bug reports from day one mate.

Did you watch my videos?

Read the following as if presented by a late-night comedian - with some humor, but also with a point to be made:

Do you old-timers remember the Iraqi Information Minister from the first Gulf War back in 1991? He was nicknamed "Baghdad Bob", and he was famous for his "spin" on how the war was going. He made a host of hilarious statements, including "[Americans] are not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion." as US forces were actively driving tanks through the streets of Baghdad.

Today's livestream kinda felt like a Baghdad Bob moment. Ed played the game on a PS4, flying a Diamondback Explorer, acting as if:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...GJ_aBTtaZeAe6ytJcb6gCLcB/s1600/BaghdadBob.jpg

I kept wanting him to look down at his (virtual) hands during a hyperspace jump, or perhaps land at an asteroid base or even visit a RES - anything so we could all collectively witness the terrible graphical issues many of us have been dealing with since 2.4 released. However, it felt more like, "See, there are no texture issues even 100 miles of the PS4. They are not in any place. Popping textures and geometry is an illusion ... Complaining players are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

Not an accusation, more of an observation... It's actually kinda funny when you compare it with Baghdad Bob :D

Horse flogged to death. I think we are all aware there are issues that some ppl are experiencing- new threads saying he same thing in different ways inst going to change the fact that they WILL be looking into it. I appreciate your volcanic level frustration but you are just giving yourself heartburn worrying about it.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Old Duck, you can rest easy as I managed to make it stick, no idea how? :)

[video=youtube;1vaq0864bTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaq0864bTg[/video]

Have y’all fully uninstalled and reinstalled Elite yet? I assume that troubleshooting step has been done, but wanted to ask.

Horse flogged to death. I think we are all aware there are issues that some ppl are experiencing- new threads saying he same thing in different ways inst going to change the fact that they WILL be looking into it. I appreciate your volcanic level frustration but you are just giving yourself heartburn worrying about it.

Agreed. The texture proplems have been discussed in other threads, why make yet another thread about the same proplem?

Lol. I'd forgotten, but now thanks for mentioning it, I do remember that iraqi propagandist, lol.

if the blurries are only in a few places such as the hand controls or in the srv bay and everything else is fine, I'd say just continue to play. I still get the same issues on my PC version ever since I started ED. Everything is fine enough, so the local area around my seat isn't so much an issue. (maybe until they one day have spacelegs and you actually can get out of the chair)

I'd also noticed the blurries often go away after launch from the base. The bases and stations seem to have gotten a detail boost with 2.4 (in my vague perception), so maybe the hardware and game is struggling to prioritize rendering while docked under whatever limitations at the moment.

Last edited:
if the blurries are only in a few places such as the hand controls or in the srv bay and everything else is fine, I'd say just continue to play. I still get the same issues on my PC version ever since I started ED. Everything is fine enough, so the local area around my seat isn't so much an issue. (maybe until they one day have spacelegs and you actually can get out of the chair)

Agreed - if the problem manifested only when looking down at my hands, I could ignore it and continue to enjoy the game. However, this is not the case. I went to visit the new "prison ship" POI (Thargoid attack), and it suffered from the same texture-popping that I'm seeing just about everywhere. What's the point of seeing something (which is the primary purpose of these POIs, to see the object) if it looks like crap?

Here, look at this (it's not just my virtual hands) - https://twitter.com/OneOldDuck/status/914495456310423552

A huge part of my gameplay revolves around the visuals. What are credits? Just numbers. I play the game to see things, and that's why exploration and passenger missions are two of my favorite things to do in the game, back when it looked good. I do also enjoy combat, and that is less affected by the poor visuals, so I'll be limiting my ED play to the occasional bounty-hunting CG until Frontier fixes the game. IF Frontier fixes the game...

And I confess, I am beating a dead horse. Two dead horses in fact. The one horse is the graphic bugs in 2.4. The other horse is Frontier's poor communication skills. I just wish Ed and team would be as frustrated about customer dissatisfaction as he was about being interdicted during the livestream...

This thread was one last desperate attempt, using humor, to get somebody's attention at Frontier. I promise, it's my last thread on the matter. If you're not having the problem (I hate you, LOL, JK!), then you're understandably tired of hearing about it, and even those of us who do have the problem are growing tired of beating the horse, and so we are finding other games to play.

Somebody pass me the Tums ;)

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Guys, please discuss the topic not the posters. I know many are frustrated with this and many see no problems please don't argue about who has and who hasn't issues. I've tried to help and I have actually managed to replicate some of these issues. Let's leave FDev to try and fix it.

Guys, please discuss the topic not the posters. I know many are frustrated with this and many see no problems please don't argue about who has and who hasn't issues. I've tried to help and I have actually managed to replicate some of these issues. Let's leave FDev to try and fix it.

If the thread goes off the rails (though I hope it doesn't) and you have to close it, I won't be offended. I understand everyone on both sides is getting tired of this topic. I was just hoping to get a more recent response from FDev, as their last official statement was before the release of 2.4.03, and even that response left us with some uncertainty. Right now we have no idea of when this might be fixed or even if Frontier considers it a priority since they themselves are not able to replicate it.

Last edited:
Agreed - if the problem manifested only when looking down at my hands, I could ignore it and continue to enjoy the game. However, this is not the case. I went to visit the new "prison ship" POI (Thargoid attack), and it suffered from the same texture-popping that I'm seeing just about everywhere. What's the point of seeing something (which is the primary purpose of these POIs, to see the object) if it looks like crap?

Here, look at this (it's not just my virtual hands) - https://twitter.com/OneOldDuck/status/914495456310423552

A huge part of my gameplay revolves around the visuals. What are credits? Just numbers. I play the game to see things, and that's why exploration and passenger missions are two of my favorite things to do in the game, back when it looked good. I do also enjoy combat, and that is less affected by the poor visuals, so I'll be limiting my ED play to the occasional bounty-hunting CG until Frontier fixes the game. IF Frontier fixes the game...

You're right Duck, that does look far worse than a few texture popping annoyances, hmm. And I'm on a suboptimal PC - older graphic card etc. I heard PS4's use hard drives; is your hard drive full , or plenty of space leftover for virtual memory? Well, sorry you and other PS4 players have this perpetual popping since 2.4. Hopefully FD will get to it and fix it soon.

Top Bottom