General / Off-Topic Banned on Reddit for describing a ship as "crippled"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I posted on the Elite Dangerous subreddit about picking on "crippled" ships and got banned by some SJW mod, apparently butt-hurt because of my use of the word "crippled". Even worse, I was not even describing a person, but a ship! This SJW stuff is entirely out of hand.

From Dictionary.com:
" ... cripple and crippled are not deemed offensive when referring to an inanimate object ... "
" ... cripple can be used freely as a verb, especially metaphorically, as in Failing to upgrade the computer system will cripple our business."

The mod and I have been going back-and-forth for an hour now with him/her trying to justify their ban, wish I could post it all here, it's hilarious.

Reddit mods get out of hand but, who watches the watchers?

Last edited:
Depending on what level the moderation is and the local rules of the filter bubble, you can get banned for practically anything that it touches.

I heard horror stories about kids being permanently banned from twitch for posting a link to childrens comics, just because their father had a politically problematic view.

I also witnessed perma bans for asking questions about Alzheimer's disease from a kid whose grandmother got it and he did not know much about it, mistaken by mods for joking about it.

These kinds of over moderation happens. Because the victim is completely silenced, we seldom hear about it unless the victim is savvy enough to warn others about it.

Every year since I was born (1949) and assuming before. In addition to a few new words being added to dictionary, the meanings of existing words are increase more so. What every generation forgets is: Though the various dictionary publisher's can add new meanings to existing words, the process shouldn't and never does negate the previous meanings.

I've been told that at my age, I need to relearn the new meanings so I am up to snuff with what ever generation it happens to be. I'd concur that what ever generation it is, should that words have more than one meaning. Using any word in content shouldn't ever be a sin. But it's an entitlement generation spawn by the single mom and home schooled generation. So, nothing is going to change soon.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi Folks,

Although this is the offtopic forum the standard rule is that discussion of official or non official moderator actions whether FD sanctioned or not isn't allowed on the forum.

So, that in mind I'm closing this thread.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom