Ships Beam laser testing engineering

I need the help of the best build engineers here on the forum to bring to light the benefits, pros, cons, harm and usage situations regarding the Beam laser's engineering and experimental effects, always taking into account tests carried out and personal experience, not only Statistics.

If there are graphics or other posts or indications about tests carried out in this regard, please be sure to contribute.

Among the experimental effects, for example, I don't know which one can provide the most damage...

I was thinking about doing something to further improve the damage of the laser using long-range engineering.

Questions:
1 - Another question, what is the relationship between damage/temperature of the experimental conduit thermal effect?

For each degree of temperature, how much damage is caused?

2- Regarding thermal shock, in relation to the thermal conduit, how is the damage distributed?

Check Coriolis (less accurate) or EDSY (worse UI). Standard laser has a pretty steep drop-off once you go beyond point blank. Then you have the difference between burst DPS and sustained DPS, the different damage types and what your distributor can support, depending on your pips setting.

Long range/thermal vent, and Efficient/oversized are my go-tos. These fit with my medium to long range dogfighting style; in most ships, it means I can spend more time firing. It feels to me like this leads to optimal damage; no wasted heat, no wasted time, no wasted distro.
If you’re getting close up, short range/thermal vent might work (short range adds lots of heat)

On my Krait M2, i have 2 size 2 gimballed beam lasers, overcharged with thermal vent.
On size 3 i currently have 2 Pacifiers, overcharged with screening shell and one plasma accelerator with rapid fire. These are fixed, so aiming is more difficult, but they pack a nice punch.
you could also go with gimballed multicannons on size 3 (overcharged, corrosive shell)
You need a beefy power plant for that.

I'm currently trying to get a feel for my own play style too. From memory, someone said that below 1.2 or 1.3km, overcharged is better, but beyond that, long range is better.

The difficulty I have to get useable data, is that it depends a lot on both the type and the skill of the other pilot (I'm PVP only) On slower ships and lower skilled enemies, I tend to get up much closer, and I can easily unload the entire capacitor in one hit, so overcharged would be devastating. In faster ships and more skilled enemies, I do tend to hang around that 1.2km range, and sometimes go further.

I think since I've chosen to use the single huge mount on my FDL for a laser, it wouldn't be that expensive to engineer both and try it out.

Anyone have any thoughts on that before I use up a lot of engineering mats? :)

OP, It depends on the ship, the build, intended activities, and your play style.

I agree with a previous post about long range & thermal vent or efficient & oversize. Depending on the ship power supply, and capacitor balances must be made. I prefer beam laser if the ship can handle it, but if it empties the capacitor too quick then need to look at pulse for less damage but more over a longer period of time. You may need to have a combo of lasers for your optimal solution. And making a good combo with non-thermal weapons like multicanons that you can switch to allowing some capacitor recovery time.

General Concept: More laser DPS requires more power (power supply) and makes more heat (drains the capacitor faster) so building a ship requires a balance.

Obviously you want the biggest baddest DPS lasering solution. But if you constantly have your enemy perfectly targeted and you want to fire lasers but you can't because your wep capacitor is empty... that's your sign you gotta change your weapon build.

I'm certainly no combat expert, but I have learned enough to know there is no simple best formula. Trying builds using Coriolis and EDSY is a really good idea. Then you gotta try it in actual test combat scenario. Try something that works good, then switch it around a bit.

Keep in mind that if it is for PvE and you are building an NPC murder boat a reasonably good ship & combo of weapons will destroy your enemies. A mediocre build will work just fine. When engineered your ship will easily outclass the NPCs. As you fine tune it to your own playstyle it will get better. Depending on your ship and playstyle it becomes a matter of how many you can fight and how quickly you can destroy them. Destroying them faster reduces how much damage they might impact on your ship.

Last edited:
I quite like efficient beams with thermal vent. Not the same punch as overcharged/srb, nor the range of long-range, but much less heat, power draw, and capacitor load. B'sides, on a corvette with two huge beams (fixed), efficient with TV, it is quite easy to stay ice cold (an armoured power plant g5 helps, obviously).

Top Bottom