Best armour mod for combat zones?

Seems I am missing a trick here, I may drop all my nice-to-have core internals and just fill up the slots with HRPs and a few MRPs, is that what combat cmdrs are doing?

While i generally don't set up my ships as extreme as Aashen, the game unfortunately currently very much encourages doing this. Health and resist stacking is way out of control since a while. FD ever so slightly tried to reduce it just on the shield side. Those who actually tested it liked the changes and many found that they didn't go far enough. But the community at large, mostly people who refused to ever test it or didn't even have access to the beta, went on a rampage and cried the changes away. Since then FD didn't dare to touch the subject any more.

It's the same story for SBs and HRPs. Drop in as many as you can afford, engineer them up, enjoy your ship being able to keep going despite taking insane damage. Many of the more fancy optionals you can use have counterplay. For example a reasonably good shot with a feedback railgun can neuter your SCB. But HRPs and their resists are pure numbers. The only counter for that would be adding raw damage. But people already engineer for high damage. And while you can enginer for an already insane +70% of damage output or more (without even looking at second effects like better efficiency, better WEP recharge, etc. ), this pales in comparison on how high you can stack your defenses. Stacked engineered HRPs don't use power. Which means you have more power left for engineered SBs. Which in turn also again strengthens your shields. The +70% of more firepower (which is already over the top) pales in comparison to +700% of defenses, which are all too common.

It's a problem deep in the design of engineers. Undoing this would need massive nerfs, just short of purging them with fire. But FD never had the balls for that, and the little courage they had for even ever so slight nerfs was eliminated by a part of the community who cried like little kids having their candy taken away.

That all being said: my ships usually run with less HRPs. I am not into PvP. The few times i accidentally launch in open, my setups have proven to be durable enough to make an escape. That's all i need. Thus i can afford to carry some of the more fancy toys. I find them more fun and thus still like to use them. Also note that the mentioned counterplay of other things is rare or nonexistant when facing NPCs. They either lack the tools to counter them or are extremely bad in applying them.

You know you can synth oxygen...? D rated lightweight, always. ;)
Why synth oxygen LIKE A PEASANT?!?!

More seriously, I usually have plenty of spare power, and I never jump my combat ships further than 20LY or so... just use ship transfers instead. I also find disengaging to synth a total embuggerance to boot. But each to their own :)

Synthing depends on you finding a quiet spot though. If you are being spanked silly synthing will fail in the worst case.

I don't know about you but I use fixed weapons (at least some on every ship) so loss of canopy is time to leave. Even e rated life support gives you 5 minutes, D rated 7.5. If you can't escape an npc in 5 minutes, you deserve to suffocate! I can also make it to the nearest station on 7.5 minutes. Lastly, synthing in supercruise is interruption free. :p I run two mrps though (for exactly this reason!), so no npc has ever taken out my canopy that I can remember. D rated lightweight, always. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know about you but I use fixed weapons (at least some on every ship) so loss of canopy is time to leave. Even e rated life support gives you 5 minutes, D rated 7.5. If you can't escape an npc in 5 minutes, you deserve to suffocate! I can also make it to the nearest station on 7.5 minutes. Lastly, synthing in supercruise is interruption free. :p I run two mrps though (for exactly this reason!), so no npc has ever taken out my canopy that I can remember. D rated lightweight, always. ;)

Oh I'm a gimbal bunny through and through[1], but hey... if that plus A-rate Life Support means I can hang around in a CZ for up to 15-20 minutes of continued active fighting, that's a good thing in my books.

[1] though my standard fit has twin shard cannons, because they literally rip shields to bits.Throw corrosive rounds in there too and they're passable anti-armour weapons when backed by some stronger anti-armour MCs. Scatter also means you tend to shred enemy modules.

Last edited:
Oh I'm a gimbal bunny through and through[1], but hey... if that plus A-rate Life Support means I can hang around in a CZ for up to 15-20 minutes of continued active fighting, that's a good thing in my books.

[1] though my standard fit has twin shard cannons, because they literally rip shields to bits.Throw corrosive rounds in there too and they're passable anti-armour weapons when backed by some stronger anti-armour MCs. Scatter also means you tend to shred enemy modules.
Just a suggestion but if you like shard style play, try a challenger with ALL overcharged gimballed frags, make the three smalls incendiary, the large corrosive and whatever you want on the three mediums. It's hilarious. First pass takes the shields, second pass takes the hull, boom. :) I;ve stopped doing this cos it felt like cheating and ultimately, wasn't that much fun and wasn't making me a better pilot. :)

Just a suggestion but if you like shard style play, try a challenger with ALL overcharged gimballed frags, make the three smalls incendiary, the large corrosive and whatever you want on the three mediums. It's hilarious. First pass takes the shields, second pass takes the hull, boom. :) I;ve stopped doing this cos it felt like cheating and ultimately, wasn't that much fun and wasn't making me a better pilot. :)

Why make the big one corrosive? Corrosion doesn't add damage to the weapon. It places a weapon independent debuff on the target, but reduces the weapons ammo supply.

For this reason, my corrosive MC, if i carry one, is always the smallest one on the ship and modded for high capacity. That allows me to modify everything else for more damage, while this one can last longer while still spreading the love of the corrosion debuff.

Why make the big one corrosive? Corrosion doesn't add damage to the weapon. It places a weapon independent debuff on the target, but reduces the weapons ammo supply.

For this reason, my corrosive MC, if i carry one, is always the smallest one on the ship and modded for high capacity. That allows me to modify everything else for more damage, while this one can last longer while still spreading the love of the corrosion debuff.
1) You won't run out of ammo in a CZ before its completed, but yeh, your're right, there's no real reason with frags to use the large and not the small
2) For MCs though, there is a very big reason why you use the large for corrosive (or huge if you have one). Fire rate. Your small corrosive will run out much faster if you don't use it separately (who does that any more!), unless you use high capacity, but high capacity is a HUGE damage loss over short range (80%), for no reason, you can synth if you DO run out in 3 seconds. :)

Oh, I never saw this post.

Honestly... I don't much like frags. I've given them a go quite a few times, because at one point I did say "I like shards, but surely frag cannons would be better right?" but for some reason something with them doesn't "work" for me like shard cannons do. It's not anything to do with weapon stats or anything... I actually think it's because I can't see the fall of shot as easily with frags, and purely a preference thing... but honestly, could be anything.

hi cmdrs,
i am just learning combat and want to improve my hull survival in CZs on my phantom. I have reactive armour and 2 size 5 hull reinforcements. For a CZ where the NPCs are much tougher, has anyone tried different mods e.g. heavy duty vs kinetic, or can offer advice on other mods? Tactics wise I get it that you need to watch your tail and get out before its too late, but I am losing bounties doing that so want to hull tank a bit more just enough to finish the job.
Bi-Weave Shield Generator (Thermal Resistant-Fast Charge)
Energy Weapons (or Plasma Slugs)
Full of Shield Boosters (only thing useful against NPC hoards)
SPEED (chasing down NPCs can get boring in a slow ship)
SCBs (B-Rated for the extra charges)
Reactive Armor (Thermal resistant-Layered)

THIS will help your HULL survive!!!

Thanks for all the responses cmdrs, consensus seems to be around heavy duty + deep plating for both hull & HRPs however I am intrigued by this concept of having 1 thermal HRP due to diminishing returns on any single resistance, is that based on any maths or cmdrs experience?

That is a wide consensus and the math bears out.
Your absolute and effective numbers will be the highest across the board this way, as long as the thermal/deep HRP is the smallest one

Top Bottom