Best way to farm HGE mats?

Is it best to stay in the same system and wait for new HGE to spawn? Or jump from system to system?

Also, I've heard/read that system population matters in HGE spawn rate but I haven't noticed any difference. Is that just a myth or is it actually true?

In my experience.. anything you want to find is now pretty much impossible to find.

Your best/only option is to farm something else and trade for what you want. I needed Proto Heat Radiators.. these should be easy.. HGE in Boom. But the way USS are done now, the chances of finding the signal you want in the state you want are very slim.

What I did instead was I found a HGE in the system I was in. I dropped in and it was full of Core Dynamics composites and Proprietary Composites. I don't need either of these things, but in the 30 minutes the HGE lasted, I was able to log out/in and farm this thing until I had hundreds of each of these. I then jumped over to a Material Trader and traded them in for Proto Heat Radiators. I was able to trade for about 40 of them after about 25 minutes of farming, that's a better rate then when I used to look for the correct source.

In my opinion, the easiest method of getting anything now is to just farm something you don't want/need and trade it. Yes, they trade at 6/1 ratio which sucks, but if you have 130 of a material you don't need.. it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
In my experience.. anything you want to find is now pretty much impossible to find.

Your best/only option is to farm something else and trade for what you want. I needed Proto Heat Radiators.. these should be easy.. HGE in Boom. But the way USS are done now, the chances of finding the signal you want in the state you want are very slim.

What I did instead was I found a HGE in the system I was in. I dropped in and it was full of Core Dynamics composites and Proprietary Composites. I don't need either of these things, but in the 30 minutes the HGE lasted, I was able to log out/in and farm this thing until I had hundreds of each of these. I then jumped over to a Material Trader and traded them in for Proto Heat Radiators. I was able to trade for about 40 of them after about 25 minutes of farming, that's a better rate then when I used to look for the correct source.

In my opinion, the easiest method of getting anything now is to just farm something you don't want/need and trade it. Yes, they trade at 6/1 ratio which sucks, but if you have 130 of a material you don't need.. it doesn't really matter.

This is why I just collect everything. Can confirm just because the GalMap says High Tech/Boom, doesn't mean the HGEs in the system will be under that status. Saw a lot under Civil War and other states.

System to system i would say. Worth noting that it doesn't need to be the controlling faction in the state you need for the relevant HGEs to spawn. I've had civil war HGEs spawn in my home system for a faction that wasn't in control. So there are more systems where you can find the right HGEs.

This is why I just collect everything. Can confirm just because the GalMap says High Tech/Boom, doesn't mean the HGEs in the system will be under that status. Saw a lot under Civil War and other states.

Yeah, exactly.. with the new fact that USS can be in a different state then the system itself, searching for a specific USS is all but impossible now. I actually like the new system better because I just stay in my home system, farm HGE's there in whatever state they're in.. and just trade for what I need.

It feels a lot quicker then the old system. I wish I could get a better trade rate on Very Rares then 6/1 but considering how quickly I can fill my inventory it's not terribly bad.

Hunting for specific USS in the current system is a nightmare. Best to just not bother.

I pick 2 or 3 other systems with same State and Faction then jump between the until I find a HGE. I was a Lave for like one hour waiting for HGE to spawn while doing something else IRL and it never spawned so I jumped to another system near by and I got one. In my experience, jumping around a few near systems is the best for me rather than waiting for them to spawn. It is less boring than sitting and waiting in the same system.

Another thing I think is that High Tech systems spawn HGE more frequently and regardless of population count. I might be completely wrong.

Economy is the primary factor for the time being. High Tech economies are definitely better than others, but I feel that all are still very low, possibly due to a miscalculation by FD or maybe due to BGS reset.

I also go system to system.

Last edited:
A combination of what Bigmaec and Darth Llama is what works for me.

But instead of using FSS, I drop into the Nav Beacon to see if there are any HGEs. If not, I'll check the next system.

Being checking mostly high pop systems, but systems with 10 mil pop can also have HGEs, so doesn't hurt to check for them via Nav Beacon as you go about your business.

Relog does work, so farm them to exchange for what you need is the current current for lack of appropriate states.

Being looking for Military Supercapacitors and finding Military Grade Alloys, so if anyone found the right conditions, please share.

A combination of what Bigmaec and Darth Llama is what works for me.

But instead of using FSS, I drop into the Nav Beacon to see if there are any HGEs. If not, I'll check the next system.

Being checking mostly high pop systems, but systems with 10 mil pop can also have HGEs, so doesn't hurt to check for them via Nav Beacon as you go about your business.

Relog does work, so farm them to exchange for what you need is the current current for lack of appropriate states.

Being looking for Military Supercapacitors and finding Military Grade Alloys, so if anyone found the right conditions, please share.

I agree with just scanning the Nav Beacon to save time. Using the FSS is fun at first but not needed to quickly reveal HGEs.

By exiting a system you reset the USSes to my testing, so peddling between 2 systems of the fitting state would be the optimum. But that test result was beta, so it might have changed.

Top Bottom