Powerplay Faction: Zachary Hudson Best way to gain federal and combat rank at the same time?

Killing in the name of Zach at Military Strike Zones should be a sure fire way to gain federal ranks and combat ranks quickly and at the same time, no?

Thanks in advance, and fly safe.

Last edited:
Combat rank should increase for sure because it increases upon the kill, no matter what that is. Not sure about federal rankings though.

Combat rank should increase for sure because it increases upon the kill, no matter what that is. Not sure about federal rankings though.

Cheers. But surely killing for the Feds should increase my federal ranking? Does anyone know for sure?

Cheers. But surely killing for the Feds should increase my federal ranking? Does anyone know for sure?

Well, that's the problem. Whether it actually works that way. I think the ranking increase comes from the combat bonds for normal combat zones and not the killing.

Well, you seem to want to get some merits either way, so you could always test it yourself. Just make sure that the control system that you hand the merits in is controlled by a Federal faction as well and find out.

As best I understand - the Federal rank can only be improved by doing missions for Federal minor factions.

The way it improves is by becoming friendly/allied with multiple factions to stress your influence as best as possible to unlock the promotion missions.

Combat can be done with any combat related task. Be credited with killing a ship and improve slightly - the same kind of basis Bounty is awarded by the last player (not NPC) to land a shot. But don't wander off too far, as it won't count if you are too far away from the ship when it dies. Not 100% sure, but I think you need to have it targeted up till its death too.

Combat rank from killing ships.
Federal rank comes from doing missions from the Bulletin board screen in stations, they must be the Fed faction missions though - ie the missions that have the circular fed logo next to them.
Powerplay faction ranks 1-5 come from Fortification, Preparation, Expansion tasks as listed in the powerplay reddit for Hudson.

Dave

Cheers all for your replies.

I will maintain however, that if I join PowerPlay and help Zachary Hudson "expand" the federation it should of course increase my standing in said federation.

Anything less is nonsensical, to put it mildly.

Any soldier should by all and any accounts expect to rise in ranks if he carries out his duties faithfully, and if he stays alive long enough...

If I don't earn promotions by fulfilling my duties for the federation, I consider it a glaring design flaw.

Well I hate to disillusion you (it being New Year's Eve and all) but you'll not gain rank by helping Hudson in Powerplay, only by doing Bulletin Board missions (I've been a Hudson PPer for a couple of months now, and I still camped out at 17 Draconis to earn the rank for my FAS).

I agree that it would perhaps make sense for a number of other things to increase your rank, I guess it's done this way to slow down the rate of progression - I want to buy a Clipper, so I've been sitting in Empire space for about a week now doing endless missions....I'm at Lord 19% currently , when I get that up to 100 I'll make Baron and be able to buy it.

As I also did some undermining (killing imperials at CD-49 3617 to be specific) to maintain my Hudson rank 4 for the week I had to break off for a few hours yesterday, killing the Imps didn't alter my Empire rank or percentage but it did drop my Empire reputation quite a bit. I think you'll find this is where you'll notice some effect on ratings - doing stuff for Hudson will likely involve killing Imps, and that will increase your combat rating and - I think - your Federation reputation....but it qwill most assuredly not affect your fed rank.(A shame really, I'd much rather slaughter my way to the Clipper <g> )

Dave

Well I hate to disillusion you (it being New Year's Eve and all) but you'll not gain rank by helping Hudson in Powerplay, only by doing Bulletin Board missions (I've been a Hudson PPer for a couple of months now, and I still camped out at 17 Draconis to earn the rank for my FAS).

I agree that it would perhaps make sense for a number of other things to increase your rank, I guess it's done this way to slow down the rate of progression - I want to buy a Clipper, so I've been sitting in Empire space for about a week now doing endless missions....I'm at Lord 19% currently , when I get that up to 100 I'll make Baron and be able to buy it.

As I also did some undermining (killing imperials at CD-49 3617 to be specific) to maintain my Hudson rank 4 for the week I had to break off for a few hours yesterday, killing the Imps didn't alter my Empire rank or percentage but it did drop my Empire reputation quite a bit. I think you'll find this is where you'll notice some effect on ratings - doing stuff for Hudson will likely involve killing Imps, and that will increase your combat rating and - I think - your Federation reputation....but it qwill most assuredly not affect your fed rank.(A shame really, I'd much rather slaughter my way to the Clipper <g> )

Dave

Thanks for the solid intel Dave.

So another opportunity missed for making PowerPlay integral to the overall game design. Sad. Some of this stuff seems so obvious that it boggles my mind that it isn't included.

I really love E: D, but so many aspects of this game are still half baked, and buggy at best. E: D has outrageous potential. A thorough clean up of bugs and coherence discrepancies would pull this game in to "essential" territory. Fingers crossed for the new year, eh?

Fly safe

Top Bottom