Beta Recap

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hello Zookeepers!

Now the Planet Zoo Beta has finished, we hope those who purchased the Deluxe Edition enjoyed playing! We absolutely loved seeing all the habitats sent in for the Animal Architecture competition (more on that later in this post), seeing all the screenshots on social media and getting to watch so many streams and videos. We also had our Beta weekend Wild About Wildlife streams, which many of you joined us for! Thanks a lot to the people that hung out with us in the chat, gave us advice and even helped us progress further in Franchise Mode.

A screenshot of when we were able to purchase a Bengal Tiger for one Conservation Credit. Thanks Shades!
On the 24 September, the first day of the Beta, over 50,000 people watched Planet Zoo on Twitch! That's an incredible number of people, and the support carried on all throughout the Beta. During the first week of the Beta, some of the Planet Zoo team were away in San Diego, for Twitchcon. Many content creators came to the Planet Zoo booth to stream the game; did you watch any of the Twitchcon streams? We loved seeing all the fun and chaos on the streams, and we especially enjoyed seeing what people named their Franchises. Did you know, the most popular Franchise name during the Beta was Zootopia! What did you name your Franchise?

Congratulations on completing the Beta Community Goal of releasing 75,000 West African Lions into the wild. This Community Goal is just an example of what is to come in when the game launches. The goal was completed within the time frame, and it is great for us to see our community working together to achieve an objective - specifically one that reinforces one of the messages of Planet Zoo: conservation. You smashed the goal we set you, and you came together to release over 89,000! The most West African Lions released by one person was 698 - an absolutely incredible number. We have some more Beta stats to share with you:

Over 7,500,000 animals were in the Beta, in Franchise Mode, overall. More than 1,500,000 animals were sold and an astonishing 5,000,000 animals were born in your zoos, with the Common Ostrich, the Indian Peafowl and the Common Warthog being born the most! A big thanks to the online team for revealing those statistics, it took some time to collate thanks to the big numbers!

During the Beta, on the 4 October, we celebrated World Animal Day with you. Thanks for taking part in our special day of giveaways and reveals; we revealed the Riverboat Ride and the Okapi! If you didn't see those reveals over on our Twitter page, have a look here:

We appreciate everyone who took part by using the hashtag #WorldAnimalDay! You helped us raise awareness on such a special day, where the mission is to "raise the status of animals in order to improve welfare standards around the globe. World Animal Day unites the animal welfare movement, mobilising it into a global force to make the world a better place for all animals," a message that Planet Zoo wholeheartedly agrees with.

Now, it is time to reveal the winner of our Animal Architecture competition. We had some fantastic entries, and it made it tough for us to choose, but we're pleased to reveal the winner: Floss!

Floss created this beautiful Monkey Temple, which is based on a temple in India she visited many years ago, the Galtji Temple. For now, Floss has loaned it out to a bunch of Ring-Tailed Lemurs who she said seemed very happy with their habitat. Please join us in congratulating Floss, who has won a Planet Zoo goodie bag! Subscribe to this blueprint here.

We will have more competitions in the future that you will be able to take part in! Stay tuned to our social media and our forums for anything you can take part in.

There's less than one month to go until the launch of Planet Zoo! What are you most looking forward to playing first?

Thanks for reading!

Thanks devs for the Recap! I believe we all had a great time playing the Beta...minus the bugs and thanks for the hard work trying to crush the bugs in the game. I look forward to playing so much more during the release of Planet Zoo Nov. 5 and all the new content to go with it!

Thanks for the recap! That's a lot of animal births! Haha.

I can't wait to play Planet Zoo again when it's released in November. I took a few days off of work so I could really dig into the game! I mean, I had to burn the vacation days anyway... But still! I can't wait to really soak the game in without any outside distractions! :)

Thanks so much for the recap, it is a great one :D and the beta was awesome, I had so much fun, arguably the most fun ive had playing a game in years, I even went as far as to interact with the community here on the forums and participate in twitch streams and follow the news and what not, It is all outside my normal comfort zone usually keeping to myself, this game has brought me out from the woodwork to enjoy with everyone who is also enjoying it! :D <3 looking forward to playing the game when it is officially released into the wild ;)

o_O🤩🥳 Wowzers! I was out last night and found out through a discord DM 😯😭😭😭😁 yey! Wow, I'm so surprised after seeing some incredible creations during the beta. Thank you so much Frontier! 🤗 I had so much fun making that habitat, which I'm sure you can tell, but not as much as the lemurs enjoyed scampering about. I loved every second of the beta, despite some bugs (a lot were ironed out during the beta which was amazing) the game is incredible; animals climbing custom made structures and rain puddling and dripping off roofs are two of the most impressive things I have ever seen in a game. Mind-boggling. I do agree with some who say that the CC in the trade market perhaps need a cap? each animal has a minimum and maximum range (based on the species/age/how good they are) then people can select within that. Peafowls should never be as much as Grizzlies! I can't wait to 5th Nov, I'm off to hibernate until then.. like my grizzly bear who I miss ever so much 🐻

Thank you so much again and thanks others for the kind words too 😊

Congratulations Floss!

I aborted being part in the competition, because I was unable to get the animal I wanted for my competition build....

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
o_O🤩🥳 Wowzers! I was out last night and found out through a discord DM 😯😭😭😭😁 yey! Wow, I'm so surprised after seeing some incredible creations during the beta. Thank you so much Frontier! 🤗 I had so much fun making that habitat, which I'm sure you can tell, but not as much as the lemurs enjoyed scampering about. I loved every second of the beta, despite some bugs (a lot were ironed out during the beta which was amazing) the game is incredible; animals climbing custom made structures and rain puddling and dripping off roofs are two of the most impressive things I have ever seen in a game. Mind-boggling. I do agree with some who say that the CC in the trade market perhaps need a cap? each animal has a minimum and maximum range (based on the species/age/how good they are) then people can select within that. Peafowls should never be as much as Grizzlies! I can't wait to 5th Nov, I'm off to hibernate until then.. like my grizzly bear who I miss ever so much 🐻

Thank you so much again and thanks others for the kind words too 😊
Well done, Floss! Absolutely amazing work, as always. You never fail to blow us all away with your blueprints! :D🥳

That build is amazing! Congratulations.
I was only able to play the beta for the last few days as I was out of town visiting family. But I made sure to go to a couple different zoos while I was there, you know, for research purposes. 😉
This game is everything I have ever wanted in a game. I even managed to build a beautiful waterfall. Thank you for all the work you have done. I’ve been counting down the days since I saw a teaser trailer last year. It’s definitely taken the mantle of my favorite game of all time. I can’t even describe how much I love it. ❤️ Can’t wait for the full release!!

I'm disappointed I wasn't able to keep up. Once 1.3.1 was released, I could no longer play at all. BSOD every time I launched. Up until then, was having a GREAT time and was very proud of the zoo I had built. Glad I got to participate as much as I did!

This one one of the most productive and fun betas I've played. I put 70 hours into it so I encountered & reported bugs, learned how to build, and got to experience a lot of fun mechanics and animal behaviors that were a joy to watch! I can't wait for the full game release!

Top Bottom