Newcomer / Intro Better way to find entrance to giant station....

The giant stations, the ones that rotate and have the small envelope entrance....how can you determine where you're supposed to enter? I just spent 20 minutes flying around Dirac Station and eventually found the opening. The entire time, the UI showed a mini-image of the station with the envelope entrance: except that it never rotate or anything. I thought maybe the mini hologram of the station would also rotate to perhaps show me eventually where the opening is. So basically I just kept flying around randomly until I found the entry point.

I presume there is a better way to do this that I am just unaware of. Here is the image of what I was looking at when I got frustrated with figuring out how to enter: https://i.imgsafe.org/3e6d2c8cb6.jpg

I can enter and land in these things incredibly easily. I have the hardest time in the world finding the opening.

Select the station as a target, and look for the triangles on it's faces - they point to the entrance.

Look for advert columns, they'll be at the front too.

With those old style (as in old Elite games) starports the entrance is always on the axis of spin. If it isn't one end of that axis it surely will be the other.

All stations rotate anticlockwise when you are facing the station entrance.
Also, look for ships on your scanner, they will be on the side of the entrance

With those old style (as in old Elite games) starports the entrance is always on the axis of spin. If it isn't one end of that axis it surely will be the other.

On that note, if you're looking at the station spinning on the horizontal, the entry will be the side that the triangle is pointing on the scanner. ie it shows if it's upside down. :)

I use this method, combined with the Anti-Clockwise spin.

Additionally, each end has different colored lights. Red and white.

Toffs
( '-')7

Some hints to get less stress in entering bigger stations.

A ) Because any big station entrance is facing the planet it rotates aproach from planet side before exiting supercruise.
B) If screen resolution is good enough you can see antennas and ship traffic whne exited alongside station.
C) Select station from Contacts screen. Will enable hologram with direction arrows that show where the entrance is.
D) Stations will rotate counterclockwise on the entrance side (already mentioned)

following these rules will mitigate your problem to the minimum possible. Sometimes I get still confused. But today touch down times are below 120 sec in general.
Without hurrying.

Regards,
Miklos

Here's a method so that when you safely disengage from supercruise you are already facing the station entrance -works most of the time :
[video=youtube_share;E1cvw5jPL6I]https://youtu.be/E1cvw5jPL6I[/video]

I had the exact same experience for an hour or so with a few stations when I first started. You do get used to it. If you're really struggling though, don't the easy way and buy an auto dock module as soon as you can!

Otherwise, just look to see where other ships are headed and keep an eye out for the advertising holograms.

A lot of people will say take the easier route and get the docking computer,however.. if you do not have the free slot it can be a challenge.
Here are a few simple pointers.

1. Select your target- its big, Coriolis shaped and has a name- wonderful thing called a "space port", no clicky, no see, comprede?
2. When you look at your target, does it spin left or right- or some other weird way?
3. When you are in front of the dock, it will ALWAYS turn LEFT- aka anticlockwise(or standing still like Jaques).
4. Can you see arrows on your mini target(bottom left holo vid) it has them, but they can be hard to notice. These give a general indication of where to letter box it.
5. If you see it spinning right, you are at the ass end of the dock- it also has small red lights on (green at the front).
6. Are you too close to it, yes it sound silly but try moving 3k away from it to get a better view- this may save you 15mins of "hunt the slot"...
7. Can you see the planet? As the slot will ALWAYS face the planet

Using the above pointers should enable you to get to grips with the spinning dock of death. I remember my first flight out in the game, and i was muttering "WHAT!! you want to try to dock with that, ITS MOVING    !".... and yes it was damn messy.. i didn't have a hotas then, now it is simples.. repetition of task that i can still mess up :p

The docks that ARE a challenge have 2 arms on, and can easily kill you(TRUST ME) as they spin at about 400m/s... so take caution. With these i always look for the planet, fly 3k to the planet from my current position- maintaining a healthy distance from the dock, then stop and look for the slot- this has saved me a lot of time hunting for the dock, and trying to avoid the arms "hammers of death". It also works on stations too

Wow, thanks for the helpful replies. This community seems to be really keen on helping newbies get the hang of things. Also I'm going to pass on the docking computer, I want to learn to do it on my own even if it takes longer that way.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the helpful replies. This community seems to be really keen on helping newbies get the hang of things. Also I'm going to pass on the docking computer, I want to learn to do it on my own even if it takes longer that way.

If you start running trading runs you will change your mind:) The Docking Computer is my best friend then.

No worries. The community is glad to help out.

I have a few ships that use DC's when I am just trading or slinging cargo doing missions. That's pretty much for time management and being a bit lazy on those missions. Other ships I have don't have enough extra slots for the DC and all the flying is hands on.

I actually like to get back to hands on flying and zooming into dock (but watch out for speed limits in some bases and factions inside their no fire zones!).

Top Bottom