Patch Notes Update Beyond - Chapter Four 3.3 - Patch Notes

Yes you can.

You can Honk, with that you know the number of bodies in the system, them you enter the FSS mode and you just need to check the signals ruler to see if there is something you want to map further. That's it.

So you can't really. You can however choose to stop exploring because the new interface is unappealing, which I suspect is what most people will do. Only time will tell.

So you can't really. You can however choose to stop exploring because the new interface is unappealing, which I suspect is what most people will do. Only time will tell.

Most? Where is your metric to support this?

Doubtless there will be a minority who will stop playing the game, if it was a majority perhaps there would be far more names appearing in the forum expressing their dismay?

I visited my store page, the 'my downloadable products' page & downloaded the latest client installer from there. Normally it shows a message saying there is a new client available & would I like to install it, don't know why it didn't this time :)

Nice one - thanks for the heads-up as I was also wondering what it referred to :)

Doubtless there will be a minority who will stop playing the game, if it was a majority perhaps there would be far more names appearing in the forum expressing their dismay?

I think he/she (SIMFAN) meant stop exploring and do something else, and the 'most' could be some.

I'm 25000 out at the moment and was on a jaunt back for some Engineering and a refit when the beta hit, the 'autotag' has hit me kinda hard... much harder than you or even I could imagine,
If it weren't for the autotag I could perhaps ignore the fact that to see what's worth staying for or leaving took longer to ascertain the info and get on with it... albeit with less enjoyment than before, but I just cannot leave my name tagging half systems.

Perhaps I should start a complaints thread about the autotag supporting laziness and gifting credits to the unworthy...:p

As Skip has said I was referring to stopping exploring rather than quitting the game. I don't have any evidence other than a gut feel, which is why I said suspect. I could well be wrong, the vast majority may like the new FSS. People don't generally speak up in the forum because they get insulted for holding a personal view (not aimed at you BTW).

I do wonder how new players feel when they first go into control options and find so many settings, and then they come to the forum and see so many bugs, and then they read some of the responses to people who express a personal view and decide this is all just too much trouble.

As Skip has said I was referring to stopping exploring rather than quitting the game. I don't have any evidence other than a gut feel, which is why I said suspect. I could well be wrong, the vast majority may like the new FSS. People don't generally speak up in the forum because they get insulted for holding a personal view (not aimed at you BTW).

I do wonder how new players feel when they first go into control options and find so many settings, and then they come to the forum and see so many bugs, and then they read some of the responses to people who express a personal view and decide this is all just too much trouble.

My apologies - I misread the post, entirely my error.

Last edited:
I think he/she (SIMFAN) meant stop exploring and do something else, and the 'most' could be some.

I'm 25000 out at the moment and was on a jaunt back for some Engineering and a refit when the beta hit, the 'autotag' has hit me kinda hard... much harder than you or even I could imagine,
If it weren't for the autotag I could perhaps ignore the fact that to see what's worth staying for or leaving took longer to ascertain the info and get on with it... albeit with less enjoyment than before, but I just cannot leave my name tagging half systems.

Perhaps I should start a complaints thread about the autotag supporting laziness and gifting credits to the unworthy...:p

Thanks for pointing out my error, I apologised.

Don't even go there with that last comment :eek: I agree completely about the half-tagging, but it makes for an interesting/different journey.

I was in Colonia during the change, went to Sag A* & back, then out toward the Abyssal Plain (round trip about 30KLy) now on my way back to the bubble to pick up my mining ship :)

Last edited:
I like the new exploration system it still allows you to do an initial scan earning some money for those that just like to "Hit and Run" systems while still allowing for a more involved mechanic in exploration. I personally like to find systems do initial scans and based on what I find, to figure out if I want to explore further or move on.

As for the auto tag thing, I think it makes sense since you always jump into a system facing its primary star. The star should be discovered as well as nearby asteroid belts and other phenomena (need additional types). It seems reasonable to assume in Elite's time, sensors would be able to recognize some types of stellar bodies automatically.

I do see why people might not like some of the changes, I just dont agree :)

Last edited:
Your first line says why you like it " MONEY " , I like exploring ,if they took the money out of exploring I would still be out there ,but with this new system it's too boring and makes you feel ` distant ` from what we used to do before. might as well be docked at a station and do it from there lol . they took its soul and got their pieces of silver for it.

Your first line says why you like it " MONEY " , I like exploring ,if they took the money out of exploring I would still be out there ,but with this new system it's too boring and makes you feel ` distant ` from what we used to do before. might as well be docked at a station and do it from there lol . they took its soul and got their pieces of silver for it.

They could take the money out of exploration for all I care, I'd still be out exploring, and enjoying, using the new tools. There is no real use for vast amounts of money, and when it is needed passenger missions pay a silly amount these days.

We just approach things from a different direction when it comes to exploring, but at least we agree part-way :)

DSS and FSS too complex and time consmuing

I just registered to say that frankly, the new FSS and DSS are just too complex, clumsy and time consuming to use.
This is just frustrating and irritating.

I am already Elite in Exploring, so I don't need to progress anymore, and as long as it does not get better, I don't believe I will use it and explore anymore ... too bad.

I hope Frontier will improve the system, for now this is a "Missed !" (cf. Worms 2 game ..) from my viewpoint. [down]

I just registered to say that frankly, the new FSS and DSS are just too complex, clumsy and time consuming to use.

I am already Elite in Exploring, so I don't need to progress anymore, and as long as it does not get better, I don't believe I will use it and explore anymore ... too bad.

I hope Frontier will improve the system, for now this is a "Missed !" (cf. Worms 2 game ..) from my viewpoint. [down]

Totally agree with you. I'd like to have an option to switch back to the old way. Anyway, I entered today after almost a year without playing and I really think it's time for me to move on. This game is now like a modern OS; a major update is simple the addition of some cosmetic improvments and UI changes. I appreciate the effort, but that isn't enough to keep my interest for the game alive.

Last edited:

I just don't understand this.
I can't see how the old system is better in any way.
I don't understand how you could call it clumsy and boring.
It's so much faster, and actually feels like exploring rather than just flying from checkpoint to checkpoint.

I feel like we aren't going to agree about this. I don't care about exploration rank.
I don't understand "I am already Elite in Exploring, so I don't need to progress anymore".
I don't understand why you care about having the word elite next to some other words.
I care about exploring, actually exploring. That's why I love this game, there's an actual to scale universe that I can actually travel through, and see things that haven't been seen.

Before scanning a system was a chore. Sitting aiming my ship at each body until it scanned bored me. It was just following a bunch of checkpoints. That isn't fun to me.
Now I have an interesting realistic feeling scanner with which I can actually actively scan the different bodies in the system.
I love the way it creates a composite image of the body I hone in on, it seems scientific and cool. Like I'm actually using scientific instruments to discover things.

If someone at frontier is reading this, please, please don't change it back.

Last edited:
Since you're already explorer elite, you're pretty much used to the old system and don't want to learn a new way of doing it. Fine. It took me several hours to be able to use the new FSS and surface scanner, but it was worth it. I just love the new tools, which are way more entertaining than the old gear. Good work, Fdev.

Since you're already explorer elite, you're pretty much used to the old system and don't want to learn a new way of doing it. Fine. It took me several hours to be able to use the new FSS and surface scanner, but it was worth it. I just love the new tools, which are way more entertaining than the old gear. Good work, Fdev.

The new tools certainly have a lot going for them, I used them in beta so was already up to speed when 3.3 went live & my controls were transferred across. Retaining the old modules would not have detracted from that though.

Perhaps the new system was aimed at encouraging existing players who had not previously done much exploring before to give it a go.

Last edited:
The new system is only for people to make easy money and not travel around the system they enter , They could let you do this crap from your galaxy map while in a space station , and let the Explorers go out into the black with the old system and explore.

The new system is only for people to make easy money and not travel around the system they enter , They could let you do this crap from your galaxy map while in a space station , and let the Explorers go out into the black with the old system and explore.

Or have a great time exploring some 37KLy out with the FSS/DSS combo - but then I'm not an explorer :)

As an ossified oldy mouldy (Octogenarian Elite in exploring ) I have the old fss sort-of working but the dss does nothing except clutter the sidebar/firegroup - only once did I get anything out of it was whan I bumped into a spikey thing in a coloured glow, and it said it was a spiky thing - humm intersting-ish...
Mijk

Last edited:
As an ossified oldy mouldy (Octogenarian Elite in exploring ) I have the old fss sort-of working but the dss does nothing except clutter the sidebar/firegroup - only once did I get anything out of it was whan I bumped into a spikey thing in a coloured glow, and it said it was a spiky thing - humm intersting-ish...
Mijk

That sounds more like the new Composition scanner than the bombard the planet with probes from orbit of the new DSS.

Top Bottom