BGS is an utter mess at this point

-Wars not resolving properly
-Player effort getting overwritten by tick from other versions (OD <-> Horizons)
-Player effort needed has effectively doubled across the board.
-Oddyssey missions not tied in into current BGS state

The BGS is the only thing keeping alot of player factions going and right now, this important part of the game is unplayable.

Most of the faults are a direct result of the braindead decision of letting separate versions of the game exist and just keep them going with minimum effort in both thinking and implementation.

Since it is near impossible to actually theorize what is causing these issues, due to the subliminal nature of the BGS and the lack of communication from Frontier. I have no other option anymore to tell my player group to just give it up until Frontier actually acknowledges the problems and proposes changes to fix it.

But I will say this: In ANY software situation it is a maintenance and feature nightmare to keep separate versions supported, If there are background systems involved, this counts triple. Why didn't any of the technical team tell the powers to be this was the worse decision they could take? These issues are so massive it could well kill player groups at this point as their sole reason d'être is the BGS. Powerplay will get more affected by it 2.

This should be major priority to get fixed ASAP. the bad reviews until now was about what we play, the BGS is concerning why we play.

Hell, Ill even tell you the fix for the most parts, its not even hard.

1. Disable the current system where you just let everything go on with multiple ticks and just hope for the best (I mean, what?!).
2. Make a separate server (you all like juggling servers and versions so much) for the BGS
3. Instead of keeping old BGS system alive, send all player action to the new server.
4. Create Logic where new server calculates INF changes and control / asset-ownership
5. Propagate these result as a SINGLE tick to both versions.

Once you've done that we can all find the real bugs that are not tied to the monstrosity of that game design decision to juggle these versions BGS.

Of course the best solution would just be to bring the versions of the game together.

I've noticed that I can't even gain rep or inf w/ a faction by doing Odyssey missions. Kind of a shame considering I'm having to decide between playing the new content and keeping the BGS ticking over. I like smugglin', but I'd rather do some of it on foot as I've already smuggled to 12G planets.

Last edited:
Are you sure?
I'm only doing Odyssey missions in low traffic area I don't usually frequent and I am both changing my standings and those of the factions in the local systems.

Are you sure?
I'm only doing Odyssey missions in low traffic area I don't usually frequent and I am both changing my standings and those of the factions in the local systems.
I can confirm Odyssey missions do work on the BGS and changes are reflected. I'm only switching back to Horizons because it's too unstable.

Deleted member 166264

D
My squad kicked another player group out of one of our systems a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed on Inara they still had a base in that system. The base was added in by Odyssey. So does this mean that their squad still has a presence in our system or is this just something that Inara needs updating done by someone who has Odyssey to go to that base and see who's in control there?

If they have retreated completely, then any settlements left over should go to the leader. If they have retreated and the settlement is still listed as theirs, either there is a bug or it has not updated yet.

or is this just something that Inara needs updating done by someone who has Odyssey to go to that base and see who's in control there?
It's this one. Inara can only automatically update if someone running an appropriate 3rd-party tool / using the Frontier journal API happens to visit the base. With tens of these bases added to most systems, that might well be slow. (And probably most systems still have several bases it doesn't know about at all)

If you've got someone on PC then they can check the "points of interest" list on the system map to find out who does now own it without having to wait for that.

Top Bottom