Horizons Bigger wrecks (like in The Force Awakens!)

I was delighted to see ED being advertised before I saw The Force Awakens at the cinema. Once the movie started and I saw the huge wrecks on the planet's surface it made me really want to see them in game. At the moment, we've just got small shrapnel like pieces of wreckage. Can we have huge wrecks of capital ships that we can fly through like in Star Wars please!!

Yes, this would be great, like when the capitol class ship shot the space station.... "look mate i said you are denied docking clearance, this is your last warning...."
LOL

Then FD made a community even out of it ... "help repair our space station... err capitol class ship"...

Elite Dangerous lesson 101, NEVER MESS WITH THE DOCKING CAPTAIN... when he says no, he really means NO!

Happy new year all, and fly safe...

What would be even better is if the large ship wreckages were permanent.... and you could go back to them!!! If not permanent... then semi-permanent --- meaning --- as they were scavenged they would continue to deteriorate until they end up becoming standard POI's (but until then... part of the universe). In LIMITED NUMBERS this would be incredible for mission generation... and for cooperative effort in finding them... rescuing the passengers and salvaging/saving the rest of the ship. It could be used for emergent crisis (THIS JUST IN!!! type thing) or as a List of known lost ships (imagine finding the Space Flight ONE and Federation President Halsey somewhere out there ALIVE!)
Example (yes - this has been posted before :D ):
---
If this isn't already a MISSION, it should be! Just needs a place to set down a beacon (or ten), Mission rewards, and a places to report it all.
"Determine the fate of the Kobiyashi-Maru. Last known location in the vicinity of <xxplanetxxStar systemxx>. If grounded and disabled, notify <factionXXX> Rescue and effect repairs (Fuel, Material hunt and fetch, multi part), if able. If destroyed, find all wreckage, document debris positions, and rescue any survivors!"
This would involve different levels of reward for the actions of the player: Lvl 1) find and report reward. Lvl 2) rescue (some) survivors and mark (some) locations reward. Lvl 3) All Locations marked, All Passengers rescued and/or Ship Repaired (watch it fly away! and get <<your Commander Name>> into the local system news feed!!) reward
This could use the existing voucher system (as for contacts, bounties, and combat bonds), or could be set in the missions themselves. The news feed could make things a bit more "connected" as well, helping the player to feel as part of that faction/community. Local Hero stuff :)
---
Just one possible implantation (implementation?) idea... Humbly offered to the community at large...

Last edited:
I was delighted to see ED being advertised before I saw The Force Awakens at the cinema. Once the movie started and I saw the huge wrecks on the planet's surface it made me really want to see them in game. At the moment, we've just got small shrapnel like pieces of wreckage. Can we have huge wrecks of capital ships that we can fly through like in Star Wars please!!

That would be absolutely marvelous.
It would be great to have combat areas with a few huge shipwrecks.

A community goal.
A *named* capital ship got lost in a *sector* several light years away from the bubble a couple decades ago, last transmission was a gravity malfunction alert.
Hence the goal is to find the wreckage in higher gravity world in that sector, considering than a sector has many star systems thus many planets, you´ll need to check and seek for high gravity worlds.
The thing is not a POI in the planet, but is persistent and you can only find it by mapping the planet, a dangerous feat in a really heavy planet.
There will be one location for the main remaining of the ship, but understandably the gravity ripped it to pieces as it was falling and many of these fragments make for smaller locations to investigate.

Or something among those lines.

This would be awesome! FYI, there are bigger more persistent wrecks in game right now (well, I've visited one). See here https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y3r0g/awesome_and_mysterious_local_news/

Wasn't easy to find, but it's definitely there & persistent. I went back a couple of times to be sure. Persistent, though the salvage respawned each time I visited.
Not capital ship scale you suggest, but big enough to drive the buggy on and peer into the flight deck :) I don't want to spoil it for people, but have screenshots and exact lat/long if anyone's interested message me. Happy to share.

Last edited:
This would be awesome! FYI, there are bigger more persistent wrecks in game right now (well, I've visited one). See here https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y3r0g/awesome_and_mysterious_local_news/

Wasn't easy to find, but it's definitely there & persistent. I went back a couple of times to be sure. Persistent, though the salvage respawned each time I visited.
Not capital ship scale you suggest, but big enough to drive the buggy on and peer into the flight deck :) I don't want to spoil it for people, but have screenshots and exact lat/long if anyone's interested message me. Happy to share.
Sweet...
Must needs check it out when I get myself back to Sol (could be a while :D )
+1 (if only for the dream!! )

There was a bug in the Beta where a Station would follow a player down to the planet and seeing a station sorta like it crashed on the planet was pretty sweet. I would really like some crashed down stations.

Sweet...
Must needs check it out when I get myself back to Sol (could be a while :D )
+1 (if only for the dream!! )

Hehe. Was satisfying and actually makes me pay more attention to those local galnet items now. Normally wouldn't bother, but whenever I dock in a new system now I'll give it a hopeful glance.

When I first found it it was total darkness with the buggy. Along with the usual random poi's I'm surprised I actually did.
2nd time I went back in daylight, and still hard to pinpoint exactly, but as I left for orbit after, I kept an eye on the location. Really surprised it was still visible many Km's up - so long as you knew what pixels to look at. very cool.

There was a bug in the Beta where a Station would follow a player down to the planet and seeing a station sorta like it crashed on the planet was pretty sweet. I would really like some crashed down stations.

I heard about that. Looked good aye. :)

Last edited:

Just to confirm, this big wreck is still here. Looting it right now. Don't forget to shoot the cargo racks too :)

In many of the preview videos leading up to Horizons release they showed sites with crashed T9's and Anacondas. Like in this video:

[video=youtube;3kF8iPf1940]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kF8iPf1940[/video]

I've never actually seen one of these large crash sites in the game proper though and I have a feeling they're not actually in as yet.

Edit: Or at least not in as a POI or mission site.

Last edited:
A community goal.
A *named* capital ship got lost in a *sector* several light years away from the bubble a couple decades ago, last transmission was a gravity malfunction alert.
Hence the goal is to find the wreckage in higher gravity world in that sector, considering than a sector has many star systems thus many planets, you´ll need to check and seek for high gravity worlds.
The thing is not a POI in the planet, but is persistent and you can only find it by mapping the planet, a dangerous feat in a really heavy planet.
There will be one location for the main remaining of the ship, but understandably the gravity ripped it to pieces as it was falling and many of these fragments make for smaller locations to investigate.

Or something among those lines.

graveyard1.jpg been pushing for this for a while...

Dont forget anaconda crash sites etc are persistent ,But they won't show up as a poi. You need to find them visually (they are lge enough).

Maybe mentioned this, but what about Thargoid ship wrecks from the war? There must be some, somewhere? Looting and crafting, looting and crafting *cough*

Top Bottom