Bindings and Controls are Messed Up

For some unimaginable reason ED gives your controller a special "Device ID" like in my old settings "28DE11FF".
From one day to another my custom control is gone.
I create a new one, just to see what Device ID it has provided: now its just "GamePad"
I copy and paste this ID over 200 times into the old BINDS file to make the game understand this is the ID i want (and yes i also changed names in the first line).

WELL , somehow this still didnt work....
So im doomed into creating exactly the same file via the ingame drop-down for half an hour ?!?!?
Did nobody adressed this?

Last edited:
I copy and paste this ID over 200 times
I mean, I don't know what you're using to edit your .binds files, but any halfway decent editor can do this:

replaceall.jpg

If you're bent on menually editing your .binds file, that is.

Btw, if you don't recognize it - that one is Notepad++. It's one of the basic tools I like to have on every PC I work with.

Alright i have calm down by now (edited the post into something more friendly).
AND THANK YOU, Ashnaks method helped me and it worked. Eventough its a little bit disappointing that the system does not recognize universally a game pad but needs a reference ID (maybe it does now? with the new ID being "GamePad").
Thanks for the fast help. And maybe we have created a new anchor for such issues because the posts i have found using google were 3 years or older and only mentioned creating a backup, which wouldnt have helped me, because my file was there untouched but just not vivisble ingame.
👏:)

Btw. now i know what is the cause of all this:
When i connect my controller with Bluetooth the game sees it as the weird number. I connected it with a cable (to save battery) its displayed as "GamePad" -> nothing works

Insert Loki: "I have never seen this man in my whole live"

That needs to be adressed or is this some Windows stuff ED cant do anything about?? I mean i never had anything like that in WT or other games, they just register the GamePad input and thats it. Or could ED make it that the bindings automaticly change to that certain device type if they realise its different.
That only applies to the Custom binding, the preset bindings have no problems whatsoever and accept every device ID thats gives of bad design vibes, right?

is this some Windows stuff ED cant do anything about
That. If you connect via Bluetooth (not recommended, btw., unless you use the original XBox adapter), Windows registers it as a different HID. And ED distinguishes between HIDs - on the upside, that means you could (I think) use one Gamepad for the SRV, one for on-foot and one for the free cam. On the downside, it means that if you change anything on the controller connections, ED doesn't know what to do and falls back to one of its default configurations.
You should be able to see what went wrong (more or less...) in the bindingsloadingerror.log, in the same directory as the .binds files.

I mean i never had anything like that in WT or other games, they just register the GamePad input and thats it
Those games (usually) only support one input device at a time and simply take whatever sends the last signal as the one that's currently to be used. Different design philosophy 🤷‍♂️ .
Which also is (IMO) the reason why BT connected controllers usually don't work well with ED. In the mess between controller, BT adapter, BT adapter driver and Windows (usually from 4 different companies...), in most cases it doesn't matter if at some place in the chain someone is going to sleep - preserve power, whatever. As above - the last signal received is used by most of the games, since per philosophy there can be only one active controller, so as soon as you push a button on your gamepad, that one wins. ED can have multiple (I have 4 - two sticks, a pad and a diy box) active controllers at any given time - for the price that, if one of them becomes disconnected or deactivated, the whole setup needs to be switched off.

When i connect my controller with Bluetooth the game sees it as the weird number. ....

Elite doesn't like the BlueTooth connection. I had to buy a "XBox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10" to get Elite to see the controller without a cable*. (As @Ashnak metions.)

* (Don't use it in Elite any more, it was supposed to be for the camera suite but that just confused the bejeezus out of me.)

That. If you connect via Bluetooth (not recommended, btw., unless you use the original XBox adapter), Windows registers it as a different HID. And ED distinguishes between HIDs - on the upside, that means you could (I think) use one Gamepad for the SRV, one for on-foot and one for the free cam. On the downside, it means that if you change anything on the controller connections, ED doesn't know what to do and falls back to one of its default configurations.
One handy thing about that is that it recognizes a unplugged DS4 as it's own thing so I don't have to worry about having the DS4 plugged in when the game starts. If I leave it in though that's an issue. 😅

until proven otherwise the most reliable form of text data storage is to carve it into rock so for a more longer lasting solution get yer chisels out;)
until then notepad++ will suffice

Last edited:
Top Bottom