Black Hole 2019

Hello developers and players (commanders!)
I have a question about the visualization and impact of black holes on players.

1 - will the visualization be replaced with a new one? Recently, scientists took a picture of a black hole, as well as animated it.

2 - will the influence of the black hole (or some of them) on the players be revised? The stop at the black hole, in my opinion, is not the most interesting thing that can happen. For example, an explosion, an emission to a random star, etc.

Thank you

EFkO4jPWsAQL1l-

Right now they don't have much in the way of dynamic phenomenon, so the black holes in the game are "dormant." Accretion disks and the like would be awesome, if Frontier are ever able to implement them.

Happening across something like this in the game on the rare occasion would be very cool indeed, and potentially rather risky and exciting as well...

EHK37VG.jpg

Last edited:
I would be 100% opposed to adding another thing into the game that can kill you without contributing any content simply for the sake of realism and “muh imirzhun!”. In reality space is 99.99999999% mind-numbingly boring.

there are already plenty of pointless and annoying ways to die in this game that add nothing to the game. (C&P, megaships)

bumping into the exclusion zone of a black hole and admiring the light show of the lensing effect shouldn’t be considered an entertaining treat but in the sad state of this game....it is and I would hate to see it removed for no good reason.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I think the black holes in the game are still pretty cool as is, even if they are dormant, but there is more that could be done to utilize them to splendid effect.

Stopping by Sgr A earlier this year on DW2...

LOkOE8S.jpg

I would be 100% opposed to adding another thing into the game that can kill you without contributing any content.

there are already plenty of pointless and annoying ways to die in this game that add nothing to the game. (C&P, megaships)
I don't think instant death would be a given. Probably something more along the lines of neutron stars if "game-play" was a component.

Right now they don't have much in the way of dynamic phenomenon, so the black holes in the game are "dormant." Accretion disks and the like would be awesome, if Frontier are ever able to implement them.

Happening across something like this in the game on the rare occasion would be very cool indeed, and potentially rather risky and exciting as well...

EHK37VG.jpg

I'd fill my pants if i got dumped into a system and i saw that. Technically time would be different the closer i was to it, so does that mean i enter the system in the year 3305 and exit it in the 6565?

I don't think instant death would be a given. Probably something more along the lines of neutron stars if "game-play" was a component.
Yeah but this is FDev we’re talking about. The neutron star mechanic, one of the most universally positively received features in the game was AN ACCIDENT! It was originally a bug and totally unintentional and was not actually designed or proposed by FDev. It was a bug that the player community begged FDev to leave in. As was Hutton.

Yeah but this is FDev we’re talking about. The neutron star mechanic, one of the most universally positively received features in the game was AN ACCIDENT! It was originally a bug and totally unintentional and was not actually designed or proposed by FDev. It was a bug that the player community begged FDev to leave in. As was Hutton.
I thought that was just the neutron star jump range factor, not the mechanic itself. Unless you're meaning throttling down during a jump to avoid hitting the exclusion zone or something.

I thought that was just the neutron star jump range factor, not the mechanic itself. Unless you're meaning throttling down during a jump to avoid hitting the exclusion zone or something.

that’s the only one that’s worth the effort. The original white dwarf mechanic is a complete waste of effort and time and usually results in a bad time due to the size of the ejection cone relative to the size of the exclusion zone. The original idea was a dumpster fire. It was only through poor implementation and bad quality control that we accidentally got one of the most positively received features in the entire game.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, the best way to dynamically implement black hole accretion disks, given Stellar Forge and current stellar system mechanics, would be based off the mass of the black hole, the mass and volume of an orbiting gaseous type body (star, planet, cloud, or similar), and their proximity, with the accretion disk forming and then being consumed (if the orbit of the body movies it further away) in their orbital plane, or weighted average if multiple bodies within the thresholds are involved.

Not perfect, but perhaps the most viably realistic, given what we have now.

Last edited:
Above, the guys said about comets. I would like that too. It would also be nice to see how random objects fall on planets, creating tails and craters. That would be awesome.
Yes, not everyone loves realism. I would also like random emergency situations. for example, a halt caused by an asteroid.

As for the black hole and ship explosion:
Neutron stars made crowd stations. Why not adapt Black Holes? At the same time, inscribing this in the history of this universe. For example, people have learned how to produce energy. Install stations in the orbits of these objects and let people refuel there.
Also the problem in the game is the aspect ratio.
Sometimes it feels like a ship is bigger than anything else. The black holes in the game do not seem like monsters at all. And just round dots, with breaking. I would like to be in awe at the sight of them.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The black holes in the game do not seem like monsters at all. And just round dots, with breaking. I would like to be in awe at the sight of them.

Have you been to Sagittarius A*?

That's most definitely an experience! Pack Heat Sinks ;)
Obviously improvement in Black Hole mechanics/visuals would be good, but they've had a boost to their appearance a few times already and I feel other things would benefit from it more.

Have you been to Sagittarius A*?
Yes. I flew there.

Just beautiful space can attract researchers. And if everything is the same, then why travel?

What upset me most was not the hole itself or the star there, but the broken cosmos along the way and back. I already wrote about this on the forum a year ago.

I would be 100% opposed to adding another thing into the game that can kill you without contributing any content simply for the sake of realism and “muh imirzhun!”. In reality space is 99.99999999% mind-numbingly boring.

bumping into the exclusion zone of a black hole and admiring the light show of the lensing effect shouldn’t be considered an entertaining treat but in the sad state of this game....it is and I would hate to see it removed for no good reason.
An encounter with the singularity of a black hole in the game could force an emergency miss jump,i'm not sure death is the only gameplay available with more realistic updates.

Top Bottom