Black Jaguar melanistic colour variant.

Well it looks like a melanistic variation is available in game as a user confirmed this on Reddit. Some may have learned this already if indeed true.

It's a recessive gene (like all the other albino skins) rather than a dominant gene like in real life, but that'd make it too easy.

Wish they had subtle rosettes like in real life instead of completely black, but it's a minor nitpick. At least we got one!
(Unless they are there and are just hard to see in the video)

Can this be done in Sandbox, that is the only mode I'm interested on, and I have been breading them all day long, and not a single blackie

Wish they had subtle rosettes like in real life instead of completely black, but it's a minor nitpick. At least we got one!
(Unless they are there and are just hard to see in the video)

This might be tricky, I have worked on several melanistic cat models (Miniature clay scultures) and you can either have the rosettes slightly show while sacrificing that gorgeous shiny coat you see in the video, or vise versa. Not sure if you would be any different with a computer animated model. Nature is something amazing, is it not? In any case, they are my favorite animals in the whole game right now, and i have not even seen them in my game. I started breading 10 pairs as Rudy recommended, and so far two hours later or so, I have over 60 animals since i got rid of some, but no black Jaguars yet, will keep on trying.

Can this be done in Sandbox, that is the only mode I'm interested on, and I have been breading them all day long, and not a single blackie
In the youtube video linked in the original post showing it in the game he said it took like 2,000 jaguars before he got a black one. He did it in sandbox.

Just to clarify, various cats ( lions, tigers, jaguars, etc..) have color morph variants, caused by recessive genes, and are NOT the same as albinos. For example, Bengal tigers come in normal, white, black, and golden, and they all end up at Zoos.. The Cincinnati,OH Zoo in the US, is known for their White tigers, and at one point they were known as Cincinnati White Bengals, when I was growing up. We have a zoo here that has not only a white Bengal, but also a Golden one.

The Jaguar's spotted morph ( the most common) is what we consider the norm. However it is estimated that the melanistic ( black jaguar ) occurs in about 6% of the South American jaguar population. and is being supported by natural selection in the wild. There are of course albino's though they are extremely rare.

This might be tricky, I have worked on several melanistic cat models (Miniature clay scultures) and you can either have the rosettes slightly show while sacrificing that gorgeous shiny coat you see in the video, or vise versa. Not sure if you would be any different with a computer animated model. Nature is something amazing, is it not? In any case, they are my favorite animals in the whole game right now, and i have not even seen them in my game. I started breading 10 pairs as Rudy recommended, and so far two hours later or so, I have over 60 animals since i got rid of some, but no black Jaguars yet, will keep on trying.

Makes sense that it took him this many, I had about 300 Jaguars and finally gave up for the day, will create a much bigger set of habitats tomorrow and start again. They should really correct that as the ratio in the wild is about 5 to 7 black Jaguars per every 100 spotted ones.

Makes sense that it took him this many, I had about 300 Jaguars and finally gave up for the day, will create a much bigger set of habitats tomorrow and start again. They should really correct that as the ratio in the wild is about 5 to 7 black Jaguars per every 100 spotted ones.

Indeed. I get the feeling they are using the same mechanism for the melanistic jaguar that applies to the various "albino" animals we can already get - a slim chance after a lot of breeding. Very annoying, really. It would be handy if there was a specific mutant gene we could look out for. Breeding albinos in Sandbox was already nearly impossible.

What I'd have loved to see is something approaching realism but still doable with current game mechanics.

The "albino" variant would be the spotted variant, and the black color would be "normal". This is because in real life black is dominant over spots (as opposed to the game now where it's recessive).

However, the twist would be that the market would always offer the spotted version (as opposed to now how they only offer the non-"albino" variant). But then if and when you eventually do get a black jaguar, it's very easy to breed more because it's a dominant trait.

This keeps spotted jaguars being more common, but black coloring behaving realistically.

Glad you're enjoying the Black Jaguars, we thought it would be a nice surprise :)

Also just quickly want to confirm that our statement regarding other species' colour variants still stands - we're working on that for sure! But this one couldn't wait ;) it's so beautiful.
It really is Bo!

But tp be honest in Sandbox it would be great to have a mechanic to get them in an easier way. In Framchise the community will breed like crazy the next days and itll be possible to buy them in the market i think. But the amount of time i have to invest in sandbox to get one of these seems just too much. Same for the other albino/melanistic animals.

Maybe a mechanic in menu that can regulate the chance in percent to get an albino/melanistic baby, when animals are giving birth. Something like this would be a great addition in sandbox. When i wanna build my dream zoo i just wanna put my favorite animals in my zoo.

Normally im not the hyped into the albinos/melanistic ones and prefer the "normal" ones, so its not that problem for me in sandbox. But to have a black jaguar would just be great.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
It really is Bo!

But tp be honest in Sandbox it would be great to have a mechanic to get them in an easier way. In Framchise the community will breed like crazy the next days and itll be possible to buy them in the market i think. But the amount of time i have to invest in sandbox to get one of these seems just too much. Same for the other albino/melanistic animals.

Maybe a mechanic in menu that can regulate the chance in percent to get an albino/melanistic baby, when animals are giving birth. Something like this would be a great addition in sandbox. When i wanna build my dream zoo i just wanna put my favorite animals in my zoo.

Normally im not the hyped into the albinos/melanistic ones and prefer the "normal" ones, so its not that problem for me in sandbox. But to have a black jaguar would just be great.

I'll pass that feedback along, thank you!

One option I would personally enjoy: allow us to research increased chance to breed a colour variant, that's how Zoo Tycoon 3 did it and I always enjoyed doing that research.

Top Bottom