Is it just me? Or does the new Darkwing freighter shown in the newsletter 4 look like the Scorpio from Blake's 7? :D

freighter-darkwing_zps02f2cbfd.jpg

Scorpio.jpeg

Hee hee hee.

What, you think Frontier's artists aren't scifi fans, or are unaware of current events (like SyFy channel possibly bringing out a remake)???

Not that I'm saying Frontier artists can't have original ideas - just that many many original ideas begin as a spark of inspiration from something that's been seen. Or maybe it's an homage!

Hee hee hee.

What, you think Frontier's artists aren't scifi fans, or are unaware of current events (like SyFy channel possibly bringing out a remake)???

Not that I'm saying Frontier artists can't have original ideas - just that many many original ideas begin as a spark of inspiration from something that's been seen. Or maybe it's an homage!

It's not like they didn't blatantly rip off Liberator for the design of the Imperial Trader in FE2 either eh? ;)

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Ooh, Archamedes is doing a comic! Awesome!

As regards the B7 proposal, I'll repeat here exactly what I said on teh Oolite forum.

Oh, no. Not SyFy. Please.

^^ This.

B7 is my all time favourite sci-fi, I remember watching it as a kid,

(just about killed me actually as Ultraworld was on the day before I went to the dentist to get a filling done under gas - "I must not sleep!" was clear in my mind as they tried to put me under - I was out for 8 hours through an overdose!! The dentist was apparently bricking it the whole time, whereas I had a wierd dream about 747 circuit breakers and saving the plane or something, woke up, got fish and chips from the chipshop next door, then threw up everywhere that night. Ahhhh, happy memories!)

taped it on Betamax, owned it on VHS (all 26 tapes!) and laterly BluRay, digitised it all on a NeXTstation back in the 90s, and still carry the ripped episodes/DVDs whenever I go away on a long trip as eye-fodder.

I cannot possibly imagine that in this day and age of political correctness, instant gratification, and non-existent story arcs, that they'll do it justice. (Just look at Dr Who - self contained 1 episode stories for the US market, so the "Whooooooooooossh" at the end merely introduces the titles rather than a cliffhanger plot point, and a tardis which seems utterly incapable of going anywhere in time and space except 1800-near future up and down the M4 corridor in the UK).

"Amazeballs" is just pathetic - totes amaze bro!!!!

And dead wife? Pluzzeeeee! What happened to the (granted false) child molestation charges Roj Blake was originally brought up on in The Way Back? Probably too hard hitting for today's audiences?

Or when the group were repeatedly defeated in Season 3, then all though Season 4? Avon's gradual descent into paranoia? The only sci-fi series where the hero/lead character was a self preserving, but brilliant b*****d. Where the arch enemy is a) female (with a shaved head no less) and b) spends the entire series in a range of (usually quite figure hugging) high couture. And the final episode where the only one who is left standing is Avon, defiantly over the body of his best friend he's just shot?

SyFy can try - but I'll give you any money it won't even get close.

The only thing that has ever come close is Firefly - and I'm still not decided if cancelling it was the biggest crime since Bonnie Langford stepped out of the Tardis, or a stroke of genius ensuring it'll be lauded quite rightly as one of the best Sci-Fi programmes of all time.

As a plus point, SyFy will be able to power all of its data-centers through the sheer energy generated by Terry Nation spinning in his grave.... :(

Last edited:

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Whoops! Sorry, got a bit carried away there. Added spoiler tags just in case!

Still worth the watch though - it's the journey, not the destination remember? ;)

Whoops! Sorry, got a bit carried away there. Added spoiler tags just in case!

Still worth the watch though - it's the journey, not the destination remember? ;)

Spoiler or not - I LOVE Blakes 7 - I am currently watching it - which is why I suddenly got the urge to see if there was a Blakes 7 thread.

I would say that I watch on average - about 1 episode a week.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Spoiler or not - I LOVE Blakes 7 - I am currently watching it - which is why I suddenly got the urge to see if there was a Blakes 7 thread.

As if there wouldn't be a thread on Blakes 7. :D

Top Bottom