Block Brakes

Ok, I know there are some other posts out there explaining this concept, but I am still struggling with creating an appropriate block brake structure to allow for 2 trains on a wooden coaster.
I've tried the following set-ups, but all of them have resulted in trains stopping at the top of the lift hill (seems as if this top of the lift hill is being treated as a block brake section):

Station --> Lift Hill --> Free section of track --> Block Brake --> Station
Station --> Block Brake --> Lift Hill --> Free section of track --> Block Brake --> Station
Station --> Lift Hill --> Free Section of track --> Block Brake --> Slow pull section --> Block Brake --> Station
Station --> Block brake --> Slow Pull Section --> Block Brake --> Lift Hill --> Free Section --> Station
Station --> Block brake --> Slow Pull Section --> Block Brake --> Lift Hill --> Free Section --> Block Brake Station

I've double checked that all block brake sections are the same length as the trains themselves and each block brake section is separated from the next block brake section by at least 3 - 4 sections of track.

No matter what configuration I try, I cannot seem to create a circuit where the train does not stop at the top of the lift hill.

The lift hill is considered a block section. You have to time you trains departures correctly for it to no stop at the top. Your train that is currently running should make it to the first block section before the other train gets to the top of the hill

It's not the amount of track between block brakes.....is the amount of time it takes a train to get from one to the next. The key to block brakes is knowing that each block should be about the same length of time.

Since the lift hill is generally one block break, the time it takes the first train to leave the station and get to the top of the hill is setting the time for the rest of the block section of the coaster. So if it takes the train 30 sectconds to get to the top of the lift hill, then you need a block break within 30 seconds from the end of the lift hill. If you make the next block brake 45 seconds from the lift hill, than your train will wait at the top of the lift hill for 15 seconds

There are ways to adjust the time it takes the train to get to the top of the lift hill.....you can slow down or speed up the chain lift or you can increase the time to wait before departing by changing the Minimum Departure interval in the operations tab. So if the above example where the sectond block section section was 45 seconds in length, I would need to set the departure interval to at 45 seconds.

A very common mistake is to add as many trains as the game allows for the number of block breaks you have. That's usually a problem unless you are VERY careful in your design. I typically will have 4 block sections for a 2 train coaster. It's much easier to prevent sitting in block brakes when you have an extra one to play with. Using the 30 second example, I will set up the secont section to take about 25-30 seconds. The third section should also be about 25-30 seconds and the final section would be a block break right before the station (this isn't 30 seconds interval so it's not a "real" block section. The game will allow me to put in 3 trains, but I will only run with 2. That way the second train has almost a minute to clear the station before the first train will be coming back in.

Also, you can test empty all day long and get everything to work.....but when it comes to adding guests and mechanic inspections......things get a little random. A light queue line creates so much more time to load that that 30 second interval I mention above won't be enough to fill the train so things back up on the block brakes. A mechanic inspection will take about 15 to 20 seconds and depending on when he starts, that can also lead to a delay big enough to screw up your critical timing.

It's not all that immediately intuitive. More trains doesn't always mean more throughput. I use the 30 second number above because you just can't get the train emptied and reloaded consistently in less time. If your ride is less than 60 seconds total time, it's unlikely you'll be able to run 2 trains without stopping. Of course, coasters like Loony and the spinning coasters can be loaded/unloaded faster.

Silvarret's video is probably better than most for learning in's and out's of block section rides.

Narad

Last edited:
The two things you can do are to lower the chain lift speed or to set a minimum waiting time in the station.

Last edited:
It's not the amount of track between block brakes.....is the amount of time it takes a train to get from one to the next. The key to block brakes is knowing that each block should be about the same length of time.
The other key is knowing your unload/load time, and planning your blocks around that.

One thing that needs to be fixed is that the cable lifts on the Intamin-style coasters are currently NOT functioning as block sections. This practically makes these two coaster types unusable for multi-train configurations. PLEASE fix this.

The other key is knowing your unload/load time, and planning your blocks around that.

And it's possible to tweak the load/unload time by varying the position of the exit gate on the platform.

The way it works, the exiting guests must all totally leave the station platform before the gates open to let the next batch onto the train. Most station platforms have an arrow on the floor showing which end of the platform the guests will go to once they get off the train. If you put the exit in line with this arrow, then guests go straight off the platform and loading can begin as soon as possible. The further away from this arrow you put the exit, the further those leaving must walk to get off the platform, so the longer it takes to start loading the next batch.

Entrance position doesn't matter because guests sprint from the entrance gate onto the platform so quickly. But they're walking when they're leaving so exit position matters.

Top Bottom