News Bonus Weekend: Trade & Engineering (24/05 to 30/05)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
If you look at the time stamp on my above post, that was first reported here at 4:34 GMT, which is 3:34 UTC time (actual game time). At that time I had already been flaffing around for ages trying to figure out what to do with my dilemna, and being totally dumbfounded that I had just wasted an entire weekend farming my off, and had yet not actually got any engineering done, which was the whole point. This went off around midnight on the 29th

See here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...05-to-30-05)?p=6744379&viewfull=1#post6744379

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
yh I had already seen that... perhaps you are right and this is what occurred, i can't say as I know nothing about BGS and it is speculation. This may or may not have been the case but theres still the issue of a wasted weekend and no engineering done because it finished on the 29th, NOT 11am UTC and the 30th

Short version: BGS essentially runs across the server system by system and applies the relevant changes. So that could explain it.

I hear you though, "at midnight" is not really "approximately 11 AM" :p

yh I had already seen that... perhaps you are right and this is what occurred, i can't say as I know nothing about BGS and it is speculation. This may or may not have been the case but theres still the issue of a wasted weekend and no engineering done because it finished on the 29th, NOT 11am UTC and the 30th

BGS tick is in an hour or so from now. Next theory! (Most likely just midnight as someone else said).

(https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/400292-When-and-what-is-the-tick)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
BGS tick is in an hour or so from now. Next theory! (Most likely just midnight as someone else said).

True that, it doesn't take THAT many hours, although it's not instant everywhere - it does take time to run across ALL the populated systems (Bubble + Colonia + Pleiades + [tinfoil hat] Thargoid and Guardian systems[/tinfoil hat]).

Looks like I just squeaked in the last of my engineering, I finished off some multi cannons at 8:30am before I left for work.

I just want to say Thank you Frontier!

Over the last few days I have engineered or re-engineered all 31 of my ships to grade 4 or 5. It was hard work and I need a rest, but I feel that I have achieved much more than I ever would without the Bonus weekend.[yesnod]

The Material traders are still robbing gits though...

So, who else trading down all their G5 mats for this event? lol.

Not that I mind because I got a ton more engineering done per single G5 banked than I could have ever imagined. Heck, I even have a fully G5 engineered sidewinder now for yuks. lol.

I haven't been playing much so I'd just focused on maxing G5 FSDs on as many ships as I can to save me from having to hunt for datamined wake exceptions :D

Managed to get all of the ones I wanted to done by last night except for one Python (which I can live with because it's got a grandfathered G5 with a +53% optimised mass anyway) and my Clipper, which I can live with because I haven't flown it for about six months. Ships I've done include my Courier, Cutter, Corvette, T-9, FDL, Orca and Imperial Eagle, all of which already had G5 FSDs from pre-3.0 but which were nowhere near to being 2.X God rolls; I would probably only have ever done the Orca without the bonus weekend so that's a errr... bonus.

Particularly liked adding 3LY to my Cutter's range and 2LY to my Corvette - doesn't sound much but even just jumping back to Shinrarta from Deciat both trips were one jump shorter than the trip out there because those extra couple of light years allow for plotting more efficient routes.

Just couldn't face the endless slogging between engineers to do any other gear though; I want experimentals on most gear, so the remote workshop doesn't really cut it and although I have assets of well over 3 billion at the moment it's all tied up in ships and gear, meaning I can't afford to keep transferring ships around the bubble.

So yeah, worthwhile event for me and if they do another one we shouldn't have the same communication issues that dogged the beginning of this one.

I should also add this was a great offering by Frontier hot on the tail of the new engineering. For many of us, staring at our fleet of ships with legacy engineering mods in place, it's been a slow process of losing all those materials to re-engineer with the new system.

This pretty much enabled me to ditch all the legacy mods and replace them with the new engineering system for most all of my fleet! Thanks, FD!

Oh My Lord, the salty moaners on this thread, How dare FD have this bonus weekend when i am away, How dare FD close it 2 hours early, How dare FD have this weekend when the misses waon't let me play as i have to do the toilet cleaning.....

MAYBE next time FD should should ask all you salty moaners if it is ok to have an event, if it's not too much trouble, of course if you can't get off from doing the chores to play, we will cancel this event and sod everyone else!!

Pah! This forum is, and in particular, the salty moaners............................. is hilarious funny!

Oh My Lord, the salty moaners on this thread, How dare FD have this bonus weekend when i am away, How dare FD close it 2 hours early, How dare FD have this weekend when the misses won't let me play as i have to do the toilet cleaning.....

Don’t forget the heat!
It was 32 degrees Celsius outside! How am I supposed to play ED (in VR), with such a temperature?!?

FDev, get a grip and do those events during winter! (But not over Christmas. Then I have to visit my parents.)

:eek: Erm ... the last one is actually a real concern ... *cough, cough*

Last edited:
Oh My Lord, the salty moaners on this thread, How dare FD have this bonus weekend when i am away, How dare FD close it 2 hours early, How dare FD have this weekend when the misses waon't let me play as i have to do the toilet cleaning.....

MAYBE next time FD should should ask all you salty moaners if it is ok to have an event, if it's not too much trouble, of course if you can't get off from doing the chores to play, we will cancel this event and sod everyone else!!

Pah! This forum is, and in particular, the salty moaners............................. is hilarious funny!

Wait.. they ended it two hours early? That bad huh?

Now that the weekend (or "week," or whatever length of time best described this "sale") is over, I just want to say, "Thanks, FDev." I'm an almost compulsive mat collector and love engineering stuff just to see where there's opportunity for new optimizations or novelty in this game. In this last week, as a result of this sale, I engaged in and discovered:

1) That after engineering about 10-12 plasma accelerators up to G5 with various mods and experimental effects, I (and my HOTAS) setup still can't hit jack with them, unless by "jack" we're describing a really big, really slow-moving ship ...or that that first give-away, point-blank shot against a stationary ship that the NPCs give you before combat begins in a HazRES. But against anything flying at all evasively? Not a chance. Darm it. (I even had temporarily high hopes for the "fun" factor of unloading a 'Conda outfitted with ALL PAs on unsuspecting pirates in hopes that would be a fast shield killer. Alas, after that first shot, my DPS went down to the point where the PAs really weren't an improvement on my previous go-to loadouts (and made small ships much harder to swat aside).

2) I learned, to my immense frustration that the weapons you've made "meta" for PvP competitiveness remain really damn hard (if not borderline impossible for most mortals) to be effective with for HOTAS users, no matter how they're engineered, thanks to your choice of flight modeling engine! (Before Elite Dangerous I'd racked up about 15 years of using and achieving deadliness with fixed weapons in PvP aircraft combat flight sims with realistic aircraft modeling, and after over 1000 hours in Elite Dangerous I still can't track or hit small ships flown with any skill using fixed weapons! And KBAM is just not viable in VR, kids) Grrrrrr.

3) Even highly-engineered cannons are, alas, a poor efficiency choice next to your modeling of MCs, which is a little sad (but I may do it anyway, just for the novelty of boom boom boom vs takka-takka-takka).

4) Now that the sale is over, I hate the G4 and G5 costs of engineering, again. Especially the use of high-grade raw mats, which are still annoying to get.

But, despite the fact that all my engineering during the week didn't enable me to discover any new way to outfit a ship without accepting efficiency/lethalness degradation, I had fun exploring the options. And I suspect the NPC pirates appreciated the break. So, thanks for running this event.

I still wish you'd made those guardian mods more available, though. You really need to consider the wisdom of adding new, expensively-developed content only to make it so annoying to unlock that it goes unused by a majority of the players.

But against anything flying at all evasively? Not a chance.

I've been playing with PAs for the past few days. One good way to get a shot in is to wait until a joust begins. Then just head straight for em, and most of the time they'll come straight at you as well. Then when you're close, fire the PA, and get out of the way. You obviously need some good shields to pull this off. Another fun thing to do is not get out of the way, and just ram them after firing the PA. I've taken out ships that still had some shields this way.

I've been playing with PAs for the past few days. One good way to get a shot in is to wait until a joust begins. Then just head straight for em, and most of the time they'll come straight at you as well. Then when you're close, fire the PA, and get out of the way. You obviously need some good shields to pull this off. Another fun thing to do is not get out of the way, and just ram them after firing the PA. I've taken out ships that still had some shields this way.

Yeah, thanks for this -- but the only reason I'd be using PAs (or rail guns) would be to train for PvP, and that advice is just not useful in any PvP match against anyone who knows what they're doing in a small or medium hull ship (as most PvP pirates fly).

Top Bottom