Brace yourselves. Odyssey Beta will not go anywhere.

It was good see Frontier issue some kind of apologies and acknowledgement. But I had a sense of Déjà vu when I read this phrase from David, " I would like to reassure you that we take these issues very seriously and that they are our top priority and focus".

I believe that. But the fact is: Frontier said almost exactly the same during all "alpha" testing period. And at the end they decided to launch the same broken Alpha as the "final" DLC.

Some guys say that "this happens to all DLC's launching, stop whining". Those guys are the same dudes with end line computers, which experience little problems and give a damn to anyone but themselves.

The problem is: what just happen with Odyssey is hardly the same of usual glitches and bugs most first-day DLCs or expansions have. What we witnessed here was a huge mistake, a sham.

I'm NOT blaming the Fdevs. I'm pretty sure Frontier's "big guys" are the real responsible to push for this release, despite obvious impossibility to give ED community a real expansion that many players has been waiting for 2 years.

But I'm beginning to realize that Odyssey will never be what it was intended to, at least for many months. And this is terrifying because I don't believe Fdevs will be able to spent months of more hardship to finish this. The sales are a complete disaster. And without money, my friends, there is no work.

At this point I'm very pessimistic. And sad. I really, really hope I'm wrong. But right now I can't see this Odyssey "Beta", broken, dark and bugged going anywhere.

Yeah, there will be several Hotfixes, upgrades, patches. But if Frontier do not boldly decide to start over and build up Odyssey from beginning, leaving just the few things that are really good, this DLC is doomed to never be as fantastic as it deserved to be. It will be destined to mediocrity.

Please, Frontier, prove me wrong. Please.

Yeah honestly considering Multicrew is still broken for years, I highly suspect FDev will just do a few hotfixes to fix minor issues and call it a day.

Heck, even Braben's phrasing in his statement made it sound like only a small portion of players experience issues, when in reality it's basically everyone.

The last even remotely interesting patch we got was passengers. Or maybe that was the last patch they bothered fixing post release. Everything after that.. 2.4 onwards has been a one go, fix any server crashes or major bugs, then abandonment.

We need to assume they'll give up as soon as possible, we need proof that they're even going to bother adding anything more.

If frontier still build elite like the last few years, they should fix any major bugs, and the next we're going to hear from them is in november. Let see what happens. Sanity has been saying "surely otherwise" for how many years? :)

WE are the beta testers. They have slated the console release for 6 months from now. We are supposed to dutifully submit bug reports so that their devs can get them fixed. They are not able to hotfix the console games like they can the PC servers. They need us to pay them to do the work that their QA teams (I doubt they actually have one of note) should be paid to do. I am amazed that they are not issuing test scripts for us to follow and submit.

To be fair, the post came from Braben himself. He rarely posts, indicating that they are taking this seriously.

While it may feel like deja vue, the eternal optimist in me will give pause for thought.
Pretty sure he commented personally on past flubs that never got fixed

To be fair, the post came from Braben himself. He rarely posts, indicating that they are taking this seriously.

While it may feel like deja vue, the eternal optimist in me will give pause for thought.
Yes but was it really him or one of the Fdev staff, typing up what hes wrote as a response, I tend to think it wasnt him but a Dev writing his reply and posting through his account. If he trully was that bothered, he would be in the forums night after night dealing with issues, answering questions and using his large boots up the devs backsides making sure they deliver because after all its his baby isnt it and he comes across as having extreme passion in his baby, so why does he avoid the customers, good or bad.

I dunno. I've been playing Odyssey most of the weekend. I've had fun when I've been able to get in. FD just need to pull their finger out and fix the bugs (including VR, which is very broken).

D6pEo83.gif

Braben? Ah! Yes! I'm still waiting for flying through clouds, as mentioned, with a technology demonstration, in the original Kickstarter videos.
Or how about Singleplayergate™? Or half of the stuff in the Design Decision Forums?

Elite has always somewhat overpromised and underdelivered, unfortunately.

Braben? Ah! Yes! I'm still waiting for flying through clouds, as mentioned, with a technology demonstration, in the original Kickstarter videos.
Or how about Singleplayergate™? Or half of the stuff in the Design Decision Forums?

Elite has always somewhat overpromised and underdelivered, unfortunately.

Heck, I remember when we were going to be able to scoop gas giants with the fuel scoop for potentially lower quality fuel or enhanced effects. That seems like forever ago.

Yes but was it really him or one of the Fdev staff, typing up what hes wrote as a response, I tend to think it wasnt him but a Dev writing his reply and posting through his account. If he trully was that bothered, he would be in the forums night after night dealing with issues, answering questions and using his large boots up the devs backsides making sure they deliver because after all its his baby isnt it and he comes across as having extreme passion in his baby, so why does he avoid the customers, good or bad.
Pure speculation, without an ounce of proof to back it up. Regarding "boots up the devs backsides" you're implying it's their fault? Again, what proof do you have that it's their fault? Whose to say that it wasn't ordered out the door based on some other arbitrary reason? For all I know you're a major shareholder within FDEV and demanded the code be released, so it's your fault ... (see, I can make stuff up)

The "buck" stops with Braben, that we can say. It's also fine to be upset, I am ... but throwing around wild accusations? Come on now, we are better than that.

and he sounded completely disconnected. Talking about running EDO on a geforce 960 or something and trying to, i think, give the impression that it was working ok for him.
And who is to say it's not working OK for him? Do you have any proof otherwise? Personally, if I run EDO at 1080p it's fine. ("fine" is subjective, of course, and for the record I prefer 4K). The fps rarely dips below 28, and if you set the max refresh to 30 (aka "console" settings) then the game runs graphically flawlessly. It's a bit jittery for my personal liking, as I prefer 60fps (and can tell the difference - large movements are not flowing/fluid at 30), but on ultra settings, 1080Ti, hard capped at 30 fps, it worked exactly as described.

Personally I think the concept of EDO is great, but once again the implementation is a shambles, based on my expectations, own rig, and performance of EDH (4K solid 60fps anywhere). With the many glaring typo's, or positioning of text, placeholders, and so on, I think the quality of EDO is shocking. Furthermore, the introduction of a ridiculous amount of currency (materials) has reinforced my opinion that the game designers are far removed from players who clearly believe "more is better" - EDH had ~120 materials to collect; EDO introduces significantly more, with EDO-Engineering on the horizon to make things worse. To get a fully upgraded weapon you need ~1400 materials ... disgusting.

And who is to say it's not working OK for him? Do you have any proof otherwise? Personally, if I run EDO at 1080p it's fine. ("fine" is subjective, of course, and for the record I prefer 4K). The fps rarely dips below 28, and if you set the max refresh to 30 (aka "console" settings) then the game runs graphically flawlessly. It's a bit jittery for my personal liking, as I prefer 60fps (and can tell the difference - large movements are not flowing/fluid at 30), but on ultra settings, 1080Ti, hard capped at 30 fps, it worked exactly as described.

Personally I think the concept of EDO is great, but once again the implementation is a shambles, based on my expectations, own rig, and performance of EDH (4K solid 60fps anywhere). With the many glaring typo's, or positioning of text, placeholders, and so on, I think the quality of EDO is shocking. Furthermore, the introduction of a ridiculous amount of currency (materials) has reinforced my opinion that the game designers are far removed from players who clearly believe "more is better" - EDH had ~120 materials to collect; EDO introduces significantly more, with EDO-Engineering on the horizon to make things worse. To get a fully upgraded weapon you need ~1400 materials ... disgusting.
30fps for shooter action is just horrid and doesnt belong in 2021

Top Bottom