Brown Dwarf Tour & Fact Finding Mission

+127 jumps over the last two days, but not much to report, just one gas giant with ammonia-based life, nothing else. Will edit the above post with the list of findings again.

Sadly, I had to break my rule of never refuelling outside of the layer for the first time in several thousand systems. Fuel was just critically low yesterday and I couldn't locate any systems with class M's in them around my position, so I stopped by a class O main star for scooping. Too bad, but can't be helped.

Commanders,

Sadly I had to stop playing ED for several years due to some really serious health issues. Coincidentally, it's now been exactly 3 years since I last flew, and I am finally able and willing to continue the brown dwarf survey. I might not be able to fly as much as I used to, and currently no VR for me, as it's too stressful to start ED with it right from the get-go. But I'll get there.

Glad to see you back in the game after health issues and all the best hunting around the brown dwarfs

Again, some progress was made over the weekend. This time it's 313 new systems, finally bringing the total over 10k with 10097 systems surveyed. A whopping four gas giants with water-based life were found, which is noteworthy as the rate so far has been ≈1 in 285 systems. So 4 in 313 is quite something. Here are two of them:​

elite-2024-02-04-gg-with-water-based-life-1.jpg elite-2024-02-04-gg-with-water-based-life-0.jpg
(click to enlarge)​

On top of that, a class M9 star in a co-orbit with an L7 and an L1 main body makes for another real star in a brown dwarf system. Also, one terraformable and landable high metal content world with a thin atmosphere was located. Here's the M9, and my apologies for this whole post, as I mostly forgot to switch off the camera GUI. ;) Here's my vessel approaching the uncommon (in this context) star for re-fueling as my tank was ⅓ full:​

elite-2024-02-04-class-m-0.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Yesterday, I finally attempted my first planetary landings in 3 years. This is supposed to be standard stuff, but it was as nerve-wracking as the very first time! Initially, I picked a tiny 250 km, 0,02 g potato:​

elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-0-0.jpg elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-0-1.jpg
(click to enlarge, no photos on the ground, sorry)

After a successful landing, I attempted the same on said terraformable world, which also made this my very first atmospheric landing:​

elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-1-0.jpg elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-1-1.jpg elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-1-2.jpg
elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-1-3.jpg elite-2024-02-04-landing-target-1-4.jpg
(I just love big impact craters, click to enlarge)

The landings also meant I had an opportunity to re-configure and re-learn SRV controls and re-learn to handle both my ships and the SRVs systems and internal panels.

Also, I found a neutron star in the layer, and while there are no photos of it, I used it for an FSD supercharge (forgot to switch on my fuel scoop at first, heh) so I get used to that again as well, even if I don't need it for this mission.

Note: Those screenshots are ultra-wide because of my monitor. They'll become narrower as soon as I switch back to VR, and I guess switching back will be the next thing to do!

Hah, feeling like a bloody beginner all over again. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Forgot to adjust the numbers, let's re-post them in their current form:​
  • Total brown dwarf systems surveyed: 10208
  • Ammonia worlds: 8
  • Earth-like worlds: 0
  • Water worlds (non-terraformable): 31
  • Water worlds (terraformable): 6
  • Water giants: 0
  • High metal content worlds (terraformable): 34
  • Metal-rich worlds: 0
  • Gas giants with ammonia-based life: 24
  • Gas giants with water-based life: 39
  • Class II gas giants: 29
  • Class III gas giants: 11
  • Class IV gas giants: 1
  • Class V gas giants: 0
  • Oddities: 22
    • Class M red dwarfs orbiting class L brown dwarfs: 23 (3 × L3 + M9, 9 × L2 + M9, 6 × L1 + M9, 4 × L0 + M9, 2 × L0 + M8)
    • Hot Jupiters: 3 (2 × class III, 1 × class IV)
    • Wide rings: 3 (1: Ice, 2240 tril. tons, iR⌾: 1468Mm, oR⌾: 2330Mm. 2: Ice, 99 tril. tons, iR⌾: 563Mm oR⌾: 893Mm. 3: Ice, 12896 tril. tons, iR⌾: 428Mm, oR⌾: 1712Mm.)
Edit 3310-03-06: +59 systems yesterday, with only one mildly interesting finding, a gas giant with ammonia-based life.

Edit 3310-03-07: And another +45 systems, with one gas giant with water-based life having been found.

Edit 3310-03-08: Not much was done yesterday, so only +7 systems with no findings.​

Last edited:
Alright, I think I'm finally back for real.

Yesterday I tried flying with my HP Reverb G2 once again, hah, it was wonderful! And I heard my RX 7900 XTX scream in pain with the rendering load all the way through my closed-back headphones. :ROFLMAO: It seems I can handle the "VR stress" with surprising ease again as I've played for almost three hours, which is quite a lot (too much maybe?) without pause. But 3D just rocks. ;) I guess starting slow and doing it just one small step at a time over about two weeks was the right choice!

Anyway, I'll continue to stick to this survey, likely even beyond finding an earth-like world (if that ever happens). The one thing I'm looking for the most is probably a water giant, with a class V gas giant being the #2, ELW #3 and a metal-rich world #4.

I guess there is no information available about those types of gas giants in brown dwarf systems? I haven't really read the forums over the past three years.​

Last edited:
Another 127 systems have been visited over the weekend, with one rather uncommon discovery. First, there's been another gas giant with ammonia-based life, a ringed one this time. But that's not the interesting part!

The interesting one is a Hot Jupiter-style class III gas giant orbiting a system's secondary substellar object, a class T brown dwarf. Those two are clearly visible from the entry point as long as they're not obscured by the main class L dwarf, here it is:

elite-2024-03-10-00-hot-class-III.jpg elite-2024-03-10-01-hot-class-III.jpg elite-2024-03-10-02-hot-class-III.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Sadly, I forgot to note the specifics such as orbital period, surface temperature, etc., but what can be said is this: Given my data, the probability of running into a class III gas giant in such systems is ≈1 in 861 systems, with the probability of finding a class III Hot Jupiter being only ≈1 in 3445 systems.

Here's the one with ammonia-based life, showing its rings and one of its icy moons:

elite-2024-03-10-04-GG-ammonia.jpg
(click to enlarge)

And while they are not super interesting, I took a picture of two pretty close icy planets in a co-orbit as well:

elite-2024-03-10-03-close-icy-orbiters.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Sadly neither was landable as both of them had atmospheric surface pressures over 1000 atm.

Here's the updated list:
  • Total brown dwarf systems surveyed: 10632
  • Ammonia worlds: 8
  • Water worlds (non-terraformable): 32
  • Water worlds (terraformable): 6
  • High metal content worlds (terraformable): 35
  • Gas giants with ammonia-based life: 28
  • Gas giants with water-based life: 40
  • Class II gas giants: 30
  • Class III gas giants: 12
  • Class IV gas giants: 1
  • Oddities: 22
    • Class M red dwarfs orbiting class L brown dwarfs: 24 (3 × L3 + M9, 11 × L2 + M9, 6 × L1 + M9, 4 × L0 + M9, 2 × L0 + M8)
    • Hot Jupiters: 4 (3 × class III, 1 × class IV)
    • Wide rings: 3 (1: Ice, 2240 tril. tons, iR⌾: 1468Mm, oR⌾: 2330Mm. 2: Ice, 99 tril. tons, iR⌾: 563Mm oR⌾: 893Mm. 3: Ice, 12896 tril. tons, iR⌾: 428Mm, oR⌾: 1712Mm.)
Edit 3310-03-12: +50 systems have been visited with nothing to report.

Edit 3310-03-13: +34 systems have been visited with nothing to report.

Last edited:
Good work. I am in fact currently in Keplers Crest doing some class Y star system surveys, have found one so far with a gas giant with Ammonia based life. Out here they seem to appear in small clusters of around 20-30 or so systems a couple of hundred light years apart. What I am actually looking for is some rare life forms that only appear on planets around Y class stars, I know there are at least 2 that aren't present in the codex for this area, but no luck so far, good luck on your survey.

Class Y's are really challenging. I gave up on systems which have T's or Y's as their main bodies. Interesting things in class L ones are rare enough for me. ;) But please do report your findings here if you like, might be interesting to read about Y's as well!​

Alright, I think I'm finally back for real.

Yesterday I tried flying with my HP Reverb G2 once again, hah, it was wonderful! And I heard my RX 7900 XTX scream in pain with the rendering load all the way through my closed-back headphones. :ROFLMAO: It seems I can handle the "VR stress" with surprising ease again as I've played for almost three hours, which is quite a lot (too much maybe?) without pause. But 3D just rocks. ;) I guess starting slow and doing it just one small step at a time over about two weeks was the right choice!

Anyway, I'll continue to stick to this survey, likely even beyond finding an earth-like world (if that ever happens). The one thing I'm looking for the most is probably a water giant, with a class V gas giant being the #2, ELW #3 and a metal-rich world #4.

I guess there is no information available about those types of gas giants in brown dwarf systems? I haven't really read the forums over the past three years.​

So I had some time and decided to look into this.

There are no class V gas giants or water giants around proc-gen systems with a main star of L, T or Y recorded in spansh. There are just 15 metal-rich bodies, and 14 of those are around the class L mains with last 1 around class Y.

There's 79 ELWs - 77 of which are around L and 2 around T. (I think 2 of those Ls are mine :) )
System counts:
  • L: 831280
  • T: 889871
  • Y: 750929

Meaning your chances of finding an ELW in a proc-gen system with class L main star are 1 in ~10,796. Across all brown dwarves, it's 1 in ~31,292. Your chances of a metal-rich body around an L main are 1 in ~59,377. Your chances of a class V gas giant or a water giant are... tiny. They're probably not impossible, but looking like less than 1 in a million chance.

Good luck!

Another +45 systems were surveyed yesterday when my HOTAS bindings suddenly started acting up. Some controls were just lost while in flight. When reassigning them, some would start working again, whereas some could no longer be saved. I guess that's what you get when not copying a finished Custom 4.0 binds file to your own profile. Hah. I'll have to fix that stuff...

Anyway, one water (or rather ocean) world was found, sadly not a terraformable one, here it is:​

elite-2024-03-14-waterworld.jpg
(Click to enlarge)​

And one system featured six brown dwarfs, which is not all that common either I guess:​

elite-2024-03-13-six-brown-dwarfs.jpg
(Click to enlarge)​
Today I'll probably spend more time fixing my bindings than actually flying... Bah.

In any case, I have finally located another M9 star in the layer, but it's pretty far away with my fuel reserves being really, really low right now. I hope I can reach it!

Edit: Made it! Here's the fuel gauge 58 jumps away:
elite-2024-03-15-0-58-jumps.jpg
Doesn't look too good (click to enlarge)

Fuel doesn't fall off of trees, especially not in space, but I kinda got there:
elite-2024-03-15-1-L2+M9-map.jpg
It was about 16½ light hours out there though (click to enlarge)

Just before scooping, it looked like this:
elite-2024-03-15-2-L2+M9-justbefore-scooping.jpg
Not much left (click to enlarge)

Edit: That makes for another +61 systems.

Edit 3310-03-16: +72 systems have been surveyed yesterday, with two findings of interest: Another gas giant with ammonia-based life and a terraformable high metal content world at about half the mass of Earth and covered in a thin, 0.1 atm atmosphere.

Here's the gas giant:
Elite-2024-03-16-0-gas-giant-with-ammonia-based-life.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

And the terraformable world:

Elite-2024-03-16-1-terraformable-hmcw.jpg
Not much to see here other than a pair of a class L and class T dwarfs rising on the horizon (Click to enlarge)
The list of discoveries will be updated in a jiffy.

Edit 3310-03-17: Another +35 systems were added, and in those 35, a class II gas giant, two gas giants with ammonia-based life and one with water-based life were found. That's pretty far above the average rate.

Here's the ones with ammonia-based life:​

elite-2024-03-17-0-ggam.jpg elite-2024-03-17-2-ggam.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

And the one with water-based life:
elite-2024-03-17-1-ggwa.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

No pictures of the class II giant, as the other three are probably boring enough already. ;p

Last edited:
Great work CMDR, and nice to see you feel better and be back in the cockpit. 👍
Looking forward to the next reports. 👍

I'm currently out in Trojan Belt and may take a look at the Brownies over there. Maybe I'll find something there. 😉

All contributions are welcome of course, no matter what you are looking for in those systems! :) Naturally for class T and Y dwarfs as well. Just prepare for 99% of them being really boring. ;)

I'm thinking I may make my posts weekly instead of what I'm doing now, and repost the list of findings with every new post instead of editing older posts. It's kind of chaotic. I last flew on Sunday, so maybe I'll continue today and post my findings every Monday or so, we'll see. :)

First few systems (around 30) are scanned, and so far, nothing of big interest. 2 close orbiting HMCs around an L1 (one landable - I decided to stop by and take a pic, distance to the L1 is around 5 ls):

mMAhU5Q.jpeg

A Brown Dwarf system with 50 bodies in total (4 stars - L0, T5, T3, T6 - plus a bunch of Class I, ice moons and a single atmosphereless HMC, nothing of big note) isn't reported that often too I think (my previous record for Brownies was around 30 bodies). The first two of them (a L0 and T5 pair) are pretty close to each other...
ozO5aMD.jpeg

You are right, I prepared for most of the systems to be just either "nothing" or the famous string of iceballs and until now, it is mostly the string of iceballs which is found. ;) But maybe, in the next few systems... ;)
To keep me from going insane during the hunt, higher mass systems are dotted into my routes too, so I occasionally catch one of those to take a little breath before continuing the hunt. ;)

Oh, 50 is a lot! I don't think I've seen this many in a single brown dwarf system so far, at least not that I recall. I've seen quite a few with slightly under or slightly over 30, but not 50 I believe.

Nice one!​

Oh, 50 is a lot! I don't think I've seen this many in a single brown dwarf system so far, at least not that I recall. I've seen quite a few with slightly under or slightly over 30, but not 50 I believe.

Nice one!​
Thank you :) It was a nice little surprise to start off the Brownie hunt out here in Trojan. :)
Let's see what happens today and in the next days, I'll edit this post when I find something of at least mild interest. :) The advantage of doing it in more sparse areas for me is that here are far less Black Holes, Herbigs etc., which would always be luring me away from the Brownies... :LOL:

EDIT 21/3, 22:00 UTC: 41 system surveyed today with a few things of mild interest: got two Ls with close atmosphereless HMCs and Icies, and another L holding a captured Class I needing a whopping 2607 Earth years for one of its years to complete (orbiting said L at 43kls distance). But else, mostly nothing big of note, icies, the occasional HMC or Class I, but there were two further small things.

This dim T8 has just the "usual" string of iceballs, but the marked planet with Helium atmosphere gave me a Codex First for the Trojan Belt.
EHEg246.png

Stopped over there, and took a pic of the Bacteria (Nebulus Cyan) in question too. :)
R099u9j.jpeg

A GG with Water-based life which orbits far on the edge of a Y0 system (around 13kls out), most likely captured, can be added to the list too. It needs 774 Earth years to orbit the Y0 once. There sure is life around Y dwarves too. :)
ylZ6bPZ.jpeg

Last edited:
There sure is life around Y dwarves too.

There are in fact a couple of forms of life that only appear around Y dwarves. Bacteria is reasonably common around them and appear based on mineral content, but some of the higher forms require a Y class star just to appear along with certain other gravity and atmospheric conditions so are very rare.

There are in fact a couple of forms of life that only appear around Y dwarves. Bacteria is reasonably common around them and appear based on mineral content, but some of the higher forms require a Y class star just to appear along with certain other gravity and atmospheric conditions so are very rare.
Thank you for the nice explanation, CMDR, I'll keep an eye out for those lifeforms whenever I see a Y dwarf somewhere. :)

Anyways, surveyed around 85 systems yesterday. First 75 were boring, mostly T and Y dwarves with literally nothing to report. After that, I decded to concentrate onto the L dwarves for now and leave T and Y out for now (I'll add them back in when I feel like that ;) ). A few mildly interesting things were found too, all of them around L dwarves so it might be a good decision to narrow things down to those for the moment:

- A L3 system with 3 more stars (T3, L7, T6) having 2 close HMC and a giant landable Icy (around the T3). Went for a little stop there. It orbits the T3 at 5 ls distance, once every 1.5 days. With around 19,600 km in diameter and 2.12 G, it isn't the largest one out there, but always a good find nonetheless.

dTQJK7S.png

mrbYYZC.jpeg

- Another GG with Water-based Life, this time as the sole planet in an L4/L8 binary and putting up the count to 2 for me for now. As it isn't very far away from the L4 this time (around 150 ls), it gets quite some light:
aK1jzFx.jpeg

Currently I'm camping in a pretty good L system too. Jumped in to the L1/T0 binary, got close worlds and some notifications from EDO. However, all these close-orbiting worlds were HMCs and Rocky Icies. But some of these got different atmospheres and exobios on site (including Stratum Tectonicas) - a good opportunity to stretch the legs for a bit. ;)

QSzxx4n.jpeg

I'll get back into the cockpit later this evening - if I find something interesting, I'll update this post ;)

Thank you MaulTier! Nice shot on that large icicle with the class T in the background! :) I know I've said it a few times now, but I really need to perform more planetary landings. ;)

Anyway, here is your weekly survey report!

Having taken Mon-Wed off, the results are from 3310-10-22 to 3310-10-24:

An additional +345 systems have been surveyed. I'm still on the slow side because I'm FSSing all systems. So I still haven't fallen back to the jump-honk-jump-honk cycle. ;) In any case, what did I find? Aside from some close binaries (both substars and planets), almost the usual in terms of gas giants: Two class II and two with water-based life. But also another class III! On top of that, I came across two water worlds in very quick succession, just a handful of jumps apart from each other. Neither was terraformable however, with one being farther out while having a high surface pressure of over 400 atm and the other being pretty tiny with a radius of ~1400 km.

Additionally to that, two more M9 secondaries have been located, with the primary being an L0 dwarf in both cases. The first one was just by chance, whereas I had searched for the second, farther one on the galaxy map for refuelling.

That also made me rethink my assessment of the rarity of class M red dwarf secondaries within the brown dwarf layer. Currently, it's quite biased towards those red dwarfs, because I'll have searched for them on the map in most cases out of the need for fuel. You would never come across this many if you'd leave it to chance! I decided to make a note in the list that clarifies this.

Now as for the photos:​

3010-03-21:

Almost entirely uninteresting, but I still noted it down: A system with nothing but six ringed gas giants in it. Photographs were omitted because of the images-per-post limit in this forum.

And the least common object of the last week, a Sudarsky class III gas giant, sadly doesn't quite qualify as a "hot" Jupiter, it's more like a lukewarm one at a surface temperature of 403 K:​

elite-2024-03-21-class-III-view-from-host.jpg elite-2024-03-21-class-III-view-from-planet.jpg
A class III gas giant with views from the planet and from the host substar (Click to enlarge)

3010-03-22:

One of two gas giants with water-based life was found on this day:​

elite-2024-03-22-01-GGw.jpg
Note: The photograph has been altered, brightness was raised by +70% (Click to enlarge)

3010-03-23:

Nothing noteworthy was found on this day with only 12 systems surveyed.​

3010-03-24:

On Sunday, I took my time and visited the bulk of systems last week, with +236 brownie ones visited and FSS'd on this day alone. Here's where I found that close-orbiting L + T + T triplet, but the photo is again omitted due to only 10 images being allowed per post.

The next would be one of two Sudarsky class II gas giants and the second gas giant with water-based life:​

elite-2024-03-24-00-class-II.jpg elite-2024-03-24-06-GGw.jpg
Standard fare (Click to enlarge)

On to the water worlds! As said, neither was terraformable though. Too bad:​

elite-2024-03-24-02-ww1.jpg elite-2024-03-24-04-ww2.jpg
High-pressure one to the left, low-pressure, tiny one to the right (Click to enlarge)

And finally, the M9 secondaries, of which I only took system map shots this time:​

elite-2024-03-24-07-L0+M9-0.jpg elite-2024-03-24-07-L0+M9-1.jpg
I refuelled from the second one (Click to enlarge)

Here's the updated list:​
  • Total brown dwarf systems surveyed: 10977
  • Ammonia worlds: 8 (1 in ≈1372)
  • Water worlds (non-terraformable): 34 (1 in ≈323)
  • Water worlds (terraformable): 6 (1 in ≈1830)
  • High metal content worlds (terraformable): 35 (1 in ≈314)
  • Gas giants with ammonia-based life: 28 (1 in ≈392)
  • Gas giants with water-based life: 42 (1 in ≈261)
  • Class II gas giants: 32 (1 in ≈343)
  • Class III gas giants: 13 (1 in ≈844)
  • Class IV gas giants: 1 (1 in 10977)
  • Oddities: 33
    • Class M red dwarfs orbiting class L brown dwarfs: 26 (1 in 422, 3 × L3 + M9, 11 × L2 + M9, 6 × L1 + M9, 6 × L0 + M9, 2 × L0 + M8)
      • Note: These numbers are biased towards red dwarfs, as I would sometimes actively search for them on the galaxy map for refuelling purposes! So if you leave things to chance, you'll come across significantly fewer of them! Keep this in mind if you decide to refuel within the layer exclusively!
    • Hot Jupiters: 4 (1 in 2744, 3 × class III, 1 × class IV)
    • Wide rings: 3 (1 in 3659, 1: Ice, 2240 tril. tons, iR⌾: 1468Mm, oR⌾: 2330Mm. 2: Ice, 99 tril. tons, iR⌾: 563Mm oR⌾: 893Mm. 3: Ice, 12896 tril. tons, iR⌾: 428Mm, oR⌾: 1712Mm.)
Edit: List formatting changed.

Last edited:
Thank you :) Nice finds this week, CMDR! :D Looking forward to the next report. :D

I'm out in the black at the moment, currently, more or less, skimming a sector in Trojan (going from East to West and Back again and repeating it a few times, scanning L dwarfs along the way). So far, I got quite a few things in around 30 systems. Some systems with close-orbiting icies, a few HMCs too (including one with just 268 km in diameter), some exobios, and something else, but first, a small rundown of what happened so far:

- This Class I is the sole planet of an L5. It comes in with an orbital eccentricity of 0.9909. Of course, it is currently at the furthermost point from the star.
EI9YdCC.jpeg
7ao752D.png

- The 268 km potato, the innermost planet at an L1 with 3 close orbiting worlds and 35 bodies in total. Imgur doesn't want me to copy the pic of the potato itself in here, so a photo from the surface should do it here. It orbits the L1 once every 1.5 days, at 9 ls distance.

Ph4uD3I.jpeg

- And now the big one: Prime Goal is to find the elusive ELW around an L dwarf. So far my best finds were non-TF HMCs with thin atmosphere. Didn't even get a TFC so far. Now it feels like I took 3 steps at once on the way up to the ELW. I jumped into an L0 system, got one close orbiting planet and 29 bodies. The close orbiter was your typical small, atmosphereless HMC. After the FSS scan, I went to the second planet of the system, and, well, I found my first AW of the tour:

VKtTxlw.jpeg

The AW orbits the L0 at a distance of 41 ls, once every 19.6 days, clocks in at 0.29 Earth Masses, 5365 km radius, 116.19 atmospheres and a mean temperature of 193 K. Overall, a very promising find, and it gives me much hope for the next one. :)

EDIT 25/3, 9:41 pm UTC: And speaking of which, I got the TF HMC right next door to the AW system. It orbits an L8 once every 1.4 days at a distance of 6.11 ls. From its appearance, it got me quite good, as it almost looked like a "dark ELW". But then, the look into the sys map confirmed it as HMC. Still, not too shabby! :)

g4WngjY.jpeg
TjWbYjW.png

After that, I didn't find anthing noteworthy anymore for today,:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom