Brown Dwarf Tour & Fact Finding Mission

@MattG: Again, thank you very much for your work! :) I really don't envy people surveying class T or Y dwarfs exclusively, if there is any such madman or madwoman out there. šŸ˜…

@LifesAJourney: I know, or at least I think I do. As far as I'm aware, helium levels are consistent across a boxel, and the higher it is, the higher the probability is for any gas giant within that boxel to be a HRGG. But I'm quite satisfied having found just one of them in the layer, so I simply marched on northwards in the Norma arm. :)

Feeling a temptation to go out exploring for a bit due to the lack of interesting (non-Titan [attacking] or FSD related) story developments, and the A rated (engineerable) SCO driveā€¦ so I might go and poke a few more brownies than usual, too, but probably not exclusively.

Iā€™ll try to remember to take notes along the way. If not, at the very least, the important/interesting findsā€™ll be there.

Thank you, Commander!

In all honesty, what I (and now some more commanders) are doing isn't really all that necessary. When I started with this I had no idea of e.g. how many class II or III gas giants I would find, so after having made just a handful of jumps I started recording everything that I thought might be rare back then. And now I just keep doing it, even if some of the bodies aren't all that interesting anymore. ;)

But if you find something cool, then please do share! :)

As for the weekly report, I was active on three days. On Tuesday I only made a single test jump for checking a new Observatory Core .lua script that notifies me whenever any terraformable world is detected. Then there were Friday and Sunday.

3310-05-07

Despite having made only a single jump to some random brown dwarf, I stumbled over one of those again, pure luck:​

elite-3310-05-07-L0+M9.jpg
L0 + M9 (click to enlarge)

My fuel reserves were at about 70%, so I used it for refuelling. Sadly, it was sitting at a distance of over 525000 Ls from the entry point. Ugh...​

3310-05-10

On that day, only a gas giant with water-based life was detected. It came with a mass of 879 MāŠ• or 2.77 Mā™ƒ and orbits around its parent at about 7000 Ls. Nothing out of the ordinary:​

elite_3310-05-10_GG(w).jpg
Another gas giant with water-based life (click to enlarge)

However, there is one more thing that I would like to ask you people about, as I saw it again multiple times that day. I sometimes see a dim, red spot in the skies. At first, I thought that'd be a very close L8 or L9 or some other brown dwarf, but seemingly not so. I cannot detect any actual body that would match it. See here, on the left is a very close, dim class L brown dwarf, and on the right is the object I mean:​

elite_3310-05-10_close-brown-dwarf.jpg
elite_3310-05-10_unidentified-object.jpg

What is the thing on the right? (click to enlarge)

Is this some extragalactic object? Some nebula maybe? I can't imagine what else it could be. It also wasn't any T or Y dwarf. Those were all too far away from me to see in the sky at all. Maybe you can help me with this? I assume this will have been a known object for quite a while now!​

3310-05-12

On Sunday I got another one with water-based life and a rarity, a class I gas giant with wide rings. Boring stuff first:​

elite_3310-05-12_GG(w).jpg
Looks similar to the first one, really nothing much to see (click to enlarge)

The only slightly interesting part about that gas giant is its mass, which is slightly over a thousand Earth masses. I'm not sure if I've seen such massive gas giants before in brown dwarf systems, as I did not look at things like mass and radius all that much in the past. Guess that class IV was more massive maybe. In this case, it's ā‰ˆ1013 MāŠ• or ā‰ˆ3.19 Mā™ƒ.

And here comes the wide ring system, thankfully it was an icy ring with a high enough albedo to see it:​

elite_3310-05-12_GG(I,wr).jpg

Wide rings (click to enlarge)

It's not the widest one in my records, but rather somewhere in the middle with an inner radius of 528634 km and an outer one measuring 1332074 km. At least over a million! Its mass is ~57895 TT.

Bottom line: This makes for another 164 systems last week with only the wide rings making for an interesting find. Oh, and as mentioned, please let me know what that dim red spot is if you know!

In the meantime, I shall head to a Wolf-Rayet stopover that sits directly inside of the brown dwarf layer and right on my route. Lucky!​

Here's the updated list of findings:
  • Total brown dwarf systems surveyed: 12554
  • Ammonia worlds: 8 (1 in ā‰ˆ1569)
  • Earth-like worlds: 0
  • Water worlds (non-terraformable): 39 (1 in ā‰ˆ322)
  • Water worlds (terraformable): 6 (1 in ā‰ˆ2092)
  • Water giants: 0
  • High metal content worlds (terraformable): 36 (1 in ā‰ˆ349)
  • Metal-rich worlds: 0
  • Gas giants with ammonia-based life: 32 (1 in ā‰ˆ392)
  • Gas giants with water-based life: 47 (1 in ā‰ˆ267)
  • Class II gas giants: 35 (1 in 359)
  • Class III gas giants: 19 (1 in ā‰ˆ661)
  • Class IV gas giants: 1 (1 in 12554)
  • Class V gas giants: 0
  • Helium-rich gas giants: 1 (1 in 12554)
  • Helium gas giants: 0
  • Glowing green gas giants: 0
  • Oddities: 47
    • Class M red dwarfs orbiting class L brown dwarfs: 36 (1 in ā‰ˆ349, 4 Ɨ L3 + M9, 11 Ɨ L2 + M9, 9 Ɨ L1 + M9, 8 Ɨ L0 + M9, 3 Ɨ L0 + M8)
      • Note: These numbers are biased towards red dwarfs, as I would sometimes actively search for them on the galaxy map for refuelling purposes! So if you leave things to chance, you'll come across significantly fewer of them! Keep this in mind if you decide to refuel within the layer exclusively!​
    • Hot Jupiters: 5 (1 in ā‰ˆ2511, 4 Ɨ class III, 1 Ɨ class IV)
    • Wide rings: 6 (1 in ā‰ˆ2092)
      • 1: Ice, 2240 tril. tons, iRāŒ¾: 1468 Mm, oRāŒ¾: 2330 Mm​
      • 2: Ice, 99 tril. tons, iRāŒ¾: 563 Mm oRāŒ¾: 893 Mm​
      • 3: Ice, 12896 tril. tons, iRāŒ¾: 428 Mm, oRāŒ¾: 1712 Mm​
      • 4: Ice, No mass recorded, iRāŒ¾: 553 Mm, oRāŒ¾: 878 Mm​
      • 5: Ice, 22892 tril. tons, iRāŒ¾: 555 Mm oRāŒ¾: 1399 Mm​
      • 6: Ice, 57895 tril. tons, iRāŒ¾: 529 Mm oRāŒ¾: 1332 Mm​

Last edited:
But if you find something cool, then please do share!
Well, Iā€™m not home right now so the few pictures I took(I am not quite going as in depth with the details) might have to wait, but I did find a particularly frigid class I gas giant with a surface temperature of 1K(~16.8k ls from a Y dwarf), one class III gas giant, and on the first system I looked at, a 7 bio planet with a water atmosphere around a secondary L dwarf(primary was an L too).

Most notable so far was finding undiscovered NSPs around a secondary T class dwarf though, alongside a (non-terraformable, at hand of its ~3.600 atmospheres of pressure) water world by said T dwarf too.

Also havenā€™t gone into detail too much with the numbers, not as much as presented here anyway. Just noted down the number of bodies of interest around with a separate category for more ā€˜specialā€™ ones. Given Iā€™m at a (slightly inaccurate) 85* system count so far, thereā€™s not a lot yet.

ā€¦ I just figured poking the brown dwarfs for some stuff can be fun once in a while too, between the ā€œtraditionalā€ exploring. And those unique finds with them can be more rewarding than ā€œOh, this G, F or A class star has another water/ammonia/etc worldā€. So thereā€™s some motivation on my endā€¦ and thought Iā€™d contribute a few numbers to the star types that otherwise often go by unloved(and for good reason, but I for some reason have a certain liking to the L classā€¦ T and Y remain in the filters for the time being, too).

I mean, when would you get even mildly excited about finding a class I gas giant otherwise?

*Most being when I poked the brownie field close to the start of me setting off on my journey, others just ā€˜happenedā€™ on the long-distance routes. Will look around more in either Norma Expanse(where I currently am) or Norma Arm. SCO drive is a hell of a timesaver, would probably not be anywhere close to the core without it yet.

Here's my short weekly report too:

First, I'd like to welcome Kira Goto! Welcome to the brown dwarf hunt! :D If you got something or found something unique, feel free to share it. :D

This week, I was active on 2 days, Thursday and Friday. However, not many systems (65) were surveyed and therefore, not many finds were made. Only one more noteable find per day...

May 9: +30 systems scanned, including many close Icies and a systems with 32 bodies in total, 4 substars (3x L, 1x T) and lots of HMC planets. One of them had an Ammonia atmosphere and Stratum Tectonicas among other Bios on it, but I didn't take photos this time...

However, I also found a Class I with a wide icy C ring. At 1,8kls out from a L1 (with one close-orbiting HMC), it got some light. However, the C ring proved to be invisible...
The innermost 2 moons are Shepherd moons.

Gxwg6J6.jpeg

8wwSBFr.jpeg

May 10: +35 systems surveyed, a few close-orbiters, but no big highlights. The only thing to mention were some Recepta Umbrux Ocher I found around a L0.

xapDet6.jpeg

Total statistics for Trojan Belt so far:

Total number of systems: 1135

Terrestrial planets:

ELW: 0
AW: 4
WW: 3 (TF: 1)
TF HMC: 3

Gas Giants:

GG with water-based life: 7
GG with Ammonia-based life: 2
GG Class II: 5