Buckyball Racing Club present: Thargoid Structure Scramble

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ah this thread has been great the last 24 hours, a much needed tonic from some parts of this madhouse :D

There was also a lot of action on the course yesterday and most of it was in the regulation class. Which as any of you who make races know is where my heart lies. I did try to come up with a premise and way of making the regulation ship/build closer to unlimited and more appealing, the inclusion of the A rated distributor is a big part of that because the extra boost (or two) it permits makes a huge difference in the likelihood of wanting to do multiple runs I believe. So it's really good to see a slew of entries in the class and it really has mixed it up.
Unfortunately although they lead the charge in running the Regulation class, Cmdr. Epaphus has now slipped to the bottom of the leaderboard. Next up we have Cmdr. Cheetah, who managed to knock off an impressive 12 minutes from their time! Finishing in 43:42. They did ask "Having flaceplanted and died on the previous run, I had to scan each planet again! Why??" I can only imagine that if you hadn't sold the data since your first visit and scan of the area, then you would lose that information when you die. If I do a scout run of the race I always go and sell before starting, otherwise make sure I find somewhere after the first run. Normally it doesn't make much difference (but I don't like having visited stars with no data), but in this race it does have more of an impact.

Get ready for the ship names...

Next up was Cmdr. Sulu who entered the fray in his Cobra - Goid & Bennett, obviously so emboldened by his choice of name there was a rather over exuberant landing (which might have explained the slight misjudgement in the submitted time ;) But he managed to finish with 28% hull and a time of 40:47. Up next and with possibly the best name I've heard for any ship we have Cmdr. Bob Dubrovnik flying - Ain't Xenothin' Yet
They had a very good first run, and although they were Hyperdicted, it was fortunately before they had picked up the sensor so could just kick back and relax. They managed to finish the course in a very good time of 35:35 pushing Cmdr. Aken B. down a place. And last but not least it was Cmdr. Turner's turn in his ship - For Goid and Country (which was beautifully shown off earlier in the thread). He also had a Hyperdiction to deal with and described a fair amount of heat generated throughout his Cobra, which might explain how he was able to beat the 35 minute barrier, with a very impressive 34:54

TxuNVTIl.png

There was also one new entrant in the Unlimited class. Cmdr. Kyloe entered the fray flying their Asp Scout - Akenbosh's Pride ☺ They learnt that the Scout was fast enough to outrun an Interceptor but apparently the shoulder pads are too big for scooping sensors :D "Otherwise, piloting errors with glide fails, route errors and a careless disregard for an unshielded hull made it a bit more exciting/frustrating than I'd like". Well that bodes ominous for the higher places as despite this their run slotted them into third place with a time of 33:40

STOP PRESS

There has been a late submission while I'm writing this up and Cmdr. Maur is back again and determined to put a bit more distance between themselves and Cmdr. Turner, by reversing the route. There's still an obscured jump in there, but they are confident that will be gone by the evening... Despite this they managed to shave almost a minute from their previous best giving them a time of 23:44

HTLG85Gl.png

Racing today was a complete bust ... I just kept getting hyperdicted, repeatedly (by the way, has anyone noticed that you can tell it's going to happen before it happens because the star you're heading for in hyperspace starts pulsing).

Anyway, eventually I gave up racing entirely and decided to stop and let the Thargoid catch me up so I could grab some photos.

Here's the shutdown field about to engulf me.

LtevUpA.png

This one brought two of his mates along (clearly scared of me)

wbNza0V.png

This one seemed to take offence specifically at my bobbleheads!

ovZI2hC.png

And then the moment Ozric has been waiting for.

Number of times you've been killed by Thargoids since last submission? ... 1!

9c88Mjh.png

From there, since I didn't really have enough time for another attempt I decided to go and pay a visit to Research Base LV87 on the crash site planet.

ogrkUsS.png

It's a fantastic location with some brilliant voice logs. I highly recommend taking a break from the race and going to investigate if you haven't been already.

E7tB4kw.png

Don't be fooled by the nearby crater tho' (like I was) ... it's not the same crater that has the crash site .... as I realised after driving all the way over there like an idiot to take a look (I mean surely you'd put your research base near the crash site?). Still a fun drive tho.

2Lg4kYu.png

RaTJXj8.png

I recalled my ship and flew back to the research base to be met by an old friend.

h4KVXEE.png

Well alrighty then, let's dance!

Source: https://youtu.be/lnwPYfnHnvk

I made several attempts at leaping onto the Thargoid but, unlike my exploits at Penal Colony BV 2259, I wasn't successful today.

So, no new entry from me today ... did get one of my all-time favourite screenshots tho!

32pVAP5.png

Last edited:
Will be trying another run tonight, but having some issues with control equipment at the moment, specifically; I use an XBox 360 wireless steering wheel for the SRV, which of course being wireless, is battery driven and therefore turns itself off after a while. This never used to be a problem, but recently, when the steering wheel turns itself off, ED then loses the binding for the steering wheel when it's turned back on. Only way I can get it to find it again is to exit game, re-copy the Custom.3.0.binds file into the Bindings folder (still has same time/date stamp) and then restart the game. Only thing I can do to combat this at the moment is to press a button on the steering wheel every few minutes to make sure it doesn't turn itself off.

That is ace!

Will be trying another run tonight, but having some issues with control equipment at the moment, specifically; I use an XBox 360 wireless steering wheel for the SRV, which of course being wireless, is battery driven and therefore turns itself off after a while. This never used to be a problem, but recently, when the steering wheel turns itself off, ED then loses the binding for the steering wheel when it's turned back on. Only way I can get it to find it again is to exit game, re-copy the Custom.3.0.binds file into the Bindings folder (still has same time/date stamp) and then restart the game. Only thing I can do to combat this at the moment is to press a button on the steering wheel every few minutes to make sure it doesn't turn itself off.
Don't know what's causing the change to losing the bindings, but it might be worth having a bindings file for with and without the wheel?

Also, I'd recommend changing the bindings file name, ED could be meddling with the default custom named bindings file if detects controller changes.
There's good instructions here on how to do this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/asav3r Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/asav3r/naming_your_custom_bindings_or_how_i_learned_to/

Hope that helps

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

To add to what Sgurr said there is an issue with bindings if not all the peripherals in the bindings are connected when you start the game, though I've not had issues myself with it going off in the middle of a session, but I don't have anything wireless.

If for example I start my game up without my HOTAS plugged in then the game loads up one of the default bindings sets, and even if I plug the HOTAS in after there's no option to select my custom set. I have renamed them as in the instructions above. So I wonder if it's a similar thing and even though your mid session, because a device that is listed in the controls is suddenly no longer there the game doesn't know how to handle it and reverts to a default preset..?

And then the moment Ozric has been waiting for.

Number of times you've been killed by Thargoids since last submission? ... 1!

9c88Mjh.png
Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/DffShiJ47fPqM/giphy.gif

It's a fantastic location with some brilliant voice logs. I highly recommend taking a break from the race and going to investigate if you haven't been already.
I might have to take this opportunity to offer those who don't mind some spoilers this video I made an attempt at doing. Took quite a while, but I was rather pleased with the ending.
Source: https://youtu.be/7tbPofYyzCE

I wonder if there's an LV426...

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Just a quick update as there were two entries yesterday. First up Cmdr. Sulu was back again and determined to squeeze a bit more time out in the Unlimited class and he did just that, managing to leapfrog Sgurr into third place. Also Edelgard was on the course again and despite still having some issues with the Thargoid sites, managed to knock exactly one minute off their time.

vraVjgrl.png

To add to what Sgurr said there is an issue with bindings if not all the peripherals in the bindings are connected when you start the game, though I've not had issues myself with it going off in the middle of a session, but I don't have anything wireless.
I've always known about the issue with having to have the steering wheel turned on for it to be able to pick the right custom bindings, and never used to be an issue. In fact I used to be able to start the game with the steering wheel turned off, enter in to whatever mode necessary and then turn the steering wheel on and it would automatically switch over to the custom bindings. I could then pop the batteries out of the steering wheel to turn it off, the bindings would be retained and then turn it back on again when needed, and it would work flawlessly. It's only recently I've found that the bindings seem to get forgotten when it loses contact with the steering wheel. Can't help but wonder if Fdev have fouled something up with the way the bindings work (wouldn't be the first time) in one of the recent updates.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I've always known about the issue with having to have the steering wheel turned on for it to be able to pick the right custom bindings, and never used to be an issue. In fact I used to be able to start the game with the steering wheel turned off, enter in to whatever mode necessary and then turn the steering wheel on and it would automatically switch over to the custom bindings. I could then pop the batteries out of the steering wheel to turn it off, the bindings would be retained and then turn it back on again when needed, and it would work flawlessly. It's only recently I've found that the bindings seem to get forgotten when it loses contact with the steering wheel. Can't help but wonder if Fdev have fouled something up with the way the bindings work (wouldn't be the first time) in one of the recent updates.
Hmm that's interesting. Something must have changed then. Maybe make an issue (for what it's worth).

I’m already out here with my CMDR, may decide to go ahead and bounce back to the bubble and back for this to work it into the RP, but I took a look at the coriolis loadout and it doesn’t show anything about the xeno sensor. Am I supposed to just throw it on top of the rest of the loadout?

Don't know what's causing the change to losing the bindings, but it might be worth having a bindings file for with and without the wheel?

Also, I'd recommend changing the bindings file name, ED could be meddling with the default custom named bindings file if detects controller changes.
There's good instructions here on how to do this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/asav3r Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/asav3r/naming_your_custom_bindings_or_how_i_learned_to/

Hope that helps
Just tried the rename bindings file trick, can find the rename in game but still loses the binding as soon as the wheel powers off and won't re-find it. It's odd, because when I check the Options => Controls, it still has the same bindings loaded, still shows the steering bound to the wheel, targeting, thrusters etc. bound to the XBox 360 buttons on the wheel, but just will not respond to them.

Well, just completed another run, would have been a quite substantial improvement on my time, except that I DISMISSED THE F&%KING SHIP AGAIN....
So another 2.5km drive away from the structure, recall ship, board, fly back to structure etc. etc. etc.
Up until then it was going almost perfectly, obviously so well that my sub-conscious decided to throw a spanner in the works.

Next up we have Cmdr. Cheetah, who managed to knock off an impressive 12 minutes from their time! Finishing in 43:42. They did ask "Having flaceplanted and died on the previous run, I had to scan each planet again! Why??" I can only imagine that if you hadn't sold the data since your first visit and scan of the area, then you would lose that information when you die. If I do a scout run of the race I always go and sell before starting, otherwise make sure I find somewhere after the first run. Normally it doesn't make much difference (but I don't like having visited stars with no data), but in this race it does have more of an impact.

Thanks for explaining this.

I've endured a torrid time. Last night I kept messing things up including another face plant death, and another of those tonight. My third. Also, I just couldn't scoop the sensor on one run, it ended up like an episode of Benny Hill. Tonight I had internet issues though I managed a complete run just with a nice break in the middle with the mauve sidewinder or whatever they call it when you lose your connection. Sigh. Does anyone ever get the bug when you can't select the star system on the galaxy map?

Also, how do you avoid the Thargoid energy surge?

Top Bottom