Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That... that is fantastic. I'm guessing that must have been somewhere around 30Ly range? :D

It was 27.79 ly I lost quite a bit of time with the computer blue screening and internet issues otherwise it would probably would have been faster than my cobra mk3 time

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to do a run in September

More?? It's the same one lol :D
Cheers all the same though!!!

Good luck to you too though, and if your other half is less than grateful for your prize I'll gladly take it off your hands :p
I knew you'd run before, for some reason I thought we'd had a second XB1 CMDR... I worded it completely wrong anyway, I meant to say more runs from XB1 people. That's what I get for trying to write after a 4-hour car journey. :D

This should be a good month or so...Hanekura Shizuka in Standard and Alot in Unlimited.

I think I'll leave Been There Done That in dock for a bit longer then :D

But as we are all still tossing hats in the ring...

CMDR Rusticolus
My Bare Asp
Asp Explorer
Standard

Since we're on this kick... I've already talked about these, but let's make it official:
Intent to Race!

CMDR Timothy Knight
Joyeuse
Imperial Courier
Unlimited
(estimated launch time: mid-late September)

CMDR Timothy Knight
Haulin' A*
Hauler
Standard
(estimated launch time: October sometime)

I knew you'd run before, for some reason I thought we'd had a second XB1 CMDR... I worded it completely wrong anyway, I meant to say more runs from XB1 people. That's what I get for trying to write after a 4-hour car journey. :D
Aha! That makes more sense. Appreciated all the same ;)

:eek: Wow, so many posts, so many intents to run (and runs!), so much rep to give...

I don't have enough time for standard runs myself at the moment, or time to pre-plan routes in detail, so I guess I'm out. :(

On the other hand, my almost completed run out to Jaques with a laden range of 46.23ly has shown that I've still got time for unlimited runs. Thank you Felicity! :D

Intent to run (sometime in August/September):

CMDR Raiko
The Nomad (Asp Explorer)
Class: Unlimited.

Intent to run (sometime in September):

CMDR Raiko
Echo Mirage (Anaconda)
Class: Unlimited.

Had a bit of a break from the game, but I have a bit of holiday time now so I'm going to see what I can fit in.

Let's start with...

Intent to race:

CMDR StokeMeAClipper
Ship: Blacknight
Anaconda
Unlimited

let's hope we don't see your picture up on the wall of Pancho Barns Happy Bottom Riding Club.

Just re-reading this I realised it might sound uncharitable to those unfamiliar with The Right Stuff, so ...

Girl: "I just noticed that a fancy pilot like Slick over there doesn't have his picture on your wall. What do you have to do to get your picture up there anyway?"

Pancho: "You have to die, sweetie"

Last edited:
Had a bit of a break from the game, but I have a bit of holiday time now so I'm going to see what I can fit in.

Let's start with...

Intent to race:

CMDR StokeMeAClipper
Ship: Blacknight
Anaconda
Unlimited

When I saw this, my impulse was to say, "The plot thickens." But then, CMDR Alot had a better answer. :p

At least I don't have to worry whether my record will be beaten. I *know* it will be beaten :D

Heh.

I feel almost silly about the run I will be making in Joyeuse sometime next month or so, as it isn't going to be any kind of serious attempt to set a record, and yet as it will (probably) be the first Unlimited run for an Imperial Courier, it will (probably) set one.

I suspect that if someone else doesn't run an Unlimited Courier and set a more worthy mark, I'll eventually end up doing it myself just to take that time (not likely to be a particularly good one) off the board.

But, I've got to make a run with scanners aboard eventually, and I don't generally fly ships big enough that carrying scanners wouldn't preclude setting a good time.

Since I've been away I didn't realise how much grinding there was to get a grade 5 FSD boost eventually. Trying to prep my unlimited run before I try better my standard run, it's taking a while.

EDIT:
So that was a bit annoying.

I finished planning my route late afternoon yesterday and decided I had enough time to get it done that evening. Route planning was a right pain, since every star had to be scoopable and with this jump range every plot had to use magic numbers or it took forever. Still, worked out that you could cancel a plot attempt by cancelling a pre-existing route, which helped a lot. The game still froze when plotting in the last 5k or so of the core, but it still helped there and the rest of the plots were fine to re-do. Which I had to do on many, many occasions.

I was prepared for long transitions but thought I had enough time in hand to still beat the current record. I had more witchspace troubles than ever before on an evening, I had hiccuping fuel scoops that would be nearly done and then jump my fuel tank back a couple of bars, but was still on course to beat the record until I had a connection error 5 hours into a 5:20 run which left me without fuel and in normal space a distance from my current system's star (and facing the other direction). I ended up missing out on beating Alitnil's record by 51 seconds...

...which is why I followed the model set by CMDR Alot and got up at 6am this morning and did it again properly. :)

It took me a while, but I got a good level 5 FSD mod eventually:

astar3_zpsplqilqps.png
Optimised mass: 2733.52
Mass: 54.92
Max fuel per jump: 8.09

I also modded the mass on my thrusters down (since I had all spare mats for about 100 rolls as part of gaining engineer rep) to 7.61. I had to go for the 2A power plant to accommodate the power usage, but that still saved weight over a 2D pp and standard 5D thrusters (and helped with heat).

This gave me a max jump of 61.45, but with a 12t fuel loadout it reduced to 61.03. The game itself won't let me plot more than about 60.85 though.

So then, the run itself:
astar1_zps3p4nlbuo.png

astar2_zpscb50b37t.png
Run time: 5:19:22
Jumps: 432
Average jump distance: 60.4
Average effective jump distance: 59.95 (so close!)
Average time per jump: 44.36

I had a couple of slow transitions but it has to be pretty close to the best I can do with this ship. Back to re-rolling FSD mods I guess. CMDR Alot, over to you (or whoever runs next) :) .

Last edited:
Grats Arple!

Good improvement, let's see how the rest do - I doubt I'll be in a position to try again for at least another 3 months.

Very impressive!

The thing where your fuel level dropping while scooping is not a glitch, by the way. That is your AFR being refilled out of your main fuel tank.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom