Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run (31.10 - 15.11)

thanks for setting this up :)

i have to say, it was quite a "long race" in comparison to the warm-up race - so i only pulled off one attempt. for me very interesting, how things should come together on such a longer distance/time. still deeply in love of the DBS for this, because it requires things like scooping strategy.

I had a blast, and I have a good idea what I need to improve for next time...so I think you'll see me in the next race. Going to A* is still a bit more than I want to take on, though. ;)

Now that the race is over, the virtual medals bestowed onto the best of the best of the best and the after-party venue in George Lucas cleared of empty bottles and hung-over CMDRs, we come to the evaluation of the event, so the next Kessel Run will be better.

What do you think went well and what could be improved upon ?

I'll start:

- Don't try to read the faint map coordinates of the systems from the GalMap on the TV screen 4 meters in front of you - you WILL get it wrong. Use EDDB in stead.
- Consider dropping the Sidewinder event - it's too long to be fun, so not many people are participating. Admission cost (buying and outfitting the racing ship) didn't seem to be an issue.
- Consider buffing the Reg. Cobra specs and add another class, perhaps a Reg. Hauler.
- Take the time to produce prettier graphics.

Your turn - bring it on.

Thanks Stern! You made an excellent job. The race included plenty of brain work, planning and fun.
As usual... Congrats to Cmdr Alot. And for Kliggson and Cookiehole too.

Comments:
Yes, after a year playing, credits are mainly not the issue, so making regulation configurations with top tiers feels ok (something in the 10M field).

Thanks Again for your time!

It was fun, but long (for me). I gather that's part of the charm but I think having a short-track option would be great. I'd love to have raced the stock sidewinder but no way I was going to spend 3 hrs at it. I might suggest different courses for different classes so maybe the overall times are similar for all of them.

A closed course would be a nice option too so we don't have the long lonely haul back to the starting line. It just eats up time when we could be racing.

I think sub-hour courses would be great as then people might get in 2-3 runs in a session to better their times. With times approaching 2 hrs if you have a bad run you have to live with it until the next day when/if you have time to try again.

I did all my sessions in Open play. I almost never saw another racer. It made it rather solitary. I'd like to see Open play mandatory for all the races, but then again I'm a newb :)

Thanks, twas fun! :)

When I woke up on Tuesday morning following a night of heavy cider drinking I found what follows typed into my iPad. Not quite sure where I was going with that last bit but hell, if my subconscious wants to enter into some kind of shady deal with Bump Barnum then so be it!

Cmdr Turner gazes into the last of his CafeineShot as he awaits the overground that will whisk him away from the rain scattered lights of the city and back to the WorkerSubs on the outskirts of the M.25.19. In his heart of hearts he knows that the 2nd hand FreecCyc parts used to re-rebuild the battered deck of the Mnemonic Null Fail were never going to win the prize. But he also knows he left a mark, a scratch, a noteable indentation perhaps, in the records. They will recall his name next year and remember ... and in the meantime ... if the puntz ask if his ship is fast? Kessel Run? Yeah ... she made the Kessel Run, and yeah ... she was fast, fast enough for you old man.

He flicks his Nico into the night air, pulls up the collar on his CowSkin and turns his attention back to the latest WotOutfitter. With the deals he's got going on, a sizeable bounty for retiring Kaushpoos pirates, the payoffs on those computer component contracts, and the other thing... Oh yes, he'll be on the grid, and perhaps one or two will nervously look over their shoulders next time and wonder.

He dials the number ... "Hello? Mr Barnum? About that sponsorship deal ... yes, definitely ... more than willing ... she sounds like a sweet ship ... well there's the Buckyball 9 ... what? ... the Mischief Mile? ... absolutely sir ... as ready as I'll ever be".

Alec Turner said:
Cmdr Turner gazes into the last of his CafeineShot as he awaits the overground that will whisk him away from the rain scattered lights of the city and back to the WorkerSubs on the outskirts of the M.25.19. In his heart of hearts he knows that the 2nd hand FreecCyc parts used to re-rebuild the battered deck of the Mnemonic Null Fail were never going to win the prize. But he also knows he left a mark, a scratch, a noteable indentation perhaps, in the records. They will recall his name next year and remember ... and in the meantime ... if the puntz ask if his ship is fast? Kessel Run? Yeah ... she made the Kessel Run, and yeah ... she was fast, fast enough for you old man.

He flicks his Nico into the night air, pulls up the collar on his CowSkin and turns his attention back to the latest WotOutfitter. With the deals he's got going on, a sizeable bounty for retiring Kaushpoos pirates, the payoffs on those computer component contracts, and the other thing... Oh yes, he'll be on the grid, and perhaps one or two will nervously look over their shoulders next time and wonder.

He dials the number ... "Hello? Mr Barnum? About that sponsorship deal ... yes, definitely ... more than willing ... she sounds like a sweet ship ... well there's the Buckyball 9 ... what? ... the Mischief Mile? ... absolutely sir ... as ready as I'll ever be".

I like your subconcious rightings talent!

Ceska_Zbrojovka said:
The Kessel Run Final Results News Report should be part of the Radio Sidewinder Broadcast line up.

But if you absolutely can not wait that long to hear it.
I come sharing a link: https://soundcloud.com/radio-sidewin...un-17-nov-3301

Enjoy!

Great job!

Stern Winter said:

I'll start:

- Don't try to read the faint map coordinates of the systems from the GalMap on the TV screen 4 meters in front of you - you WILL get it wrong. Use EDDB in stead.
- Consider dropping the Sidewinder event - it's too long to be fun, so not many people are participating. Admission cost (buying and outfitting the racing ship) didn't seem to be an issue.
- Consider buffing the Reg. Cobra specs and add another class, perhaps a Reg. Hauler.
- Take the time to produce prettier graphics.

Your turn - bring it on.

Congratulation to all commanders, I really enjoyed this event! This was my first race participation, and actually i am already looking for others challenges on the buckyball's website.
It was really great to meet others commanders trying the race as well, and following the details on this thread.

Maybe if the Galnet News had told about a reward for the winner, wouldn't it have attracted more commanders?
I was wondering about a mid-event "all commanders race" where all commanders would be departing at the same time?

Again thanks for this event!

Last edited:
Maybe if the Galnet News had told about a reward for the winner, wouldn't it have attracted more commanders?
I was wondering about a mid-event "all commanders race" where all commanders would be departing at the same time?

The prize only existed because MacrosTheBlack (a fellow racer, not the race organiser) chose to offer one. There's normally no prize for these races. :)
As for many people racing at the same time: that does sometimes happen spontaneously! Usually it'll get hastily organised in the forum thread, or just by seeing who's sat in the starting station.

Last edited:
The prize only existed because MacrosTheBlack (a fellow racer, not the race organiser) chose to offer one. There's normally no prize for these races. :)
As for many people racing at the same time: that does sometimes happen spontaneously! Usually it'll get hastily organised in the forum thread, or just by seeing who's sat in the starting station.

Also, having many people racing at the same time works much better when the race is between starports, rather than outposts. I met up with furrycat at the last race (which was also outposts), but out of four attempts there was only one we both completed; every other time, one of us found all the docking pads blocked at one of the outposts!

But it's certainly a good idea to encourage an opportunity in future races to get multiple commanders going at the same time :)

Last edited:
Excellent race Stern, I'm sorry once again that I didn't manage to join in, but I've enjoyed following events on the forum and I'll do my best to be at the next Kessel Run event. :)

Regarding racing with a fixed start time, the thing that I really love about our racing format is that it's independent of time-zones, etc and that the community primarily exists on the forum (although most of my in-game friends are Buckyballers). I'd really struggle to commit to a fixed starting time, that's the main reason that I've never joined in with the Elite Racers.

Having said that, I've been sat in a station at a couple of our events at the same time as two or more runners have launched together, so it certainly does happen spontaneously! :)

Great race Stern and well managed. I only did one run and then managed to delete the video by mistake in an over-zealous attempt to free up hard-disk space, so sorry for not getting an entry in.

I didn't get the time to do any more runs, although I have spent plenty of hours in game - I couldn't find a time to get an undisturbed 2 hours to do a run.

I also liked the podium finish graphics - a nice touch :)

Top Bottom