BUG: black screen when getting in or out of srv

I thought this had been fixed. I'm getting black screens when leaving SRVs or ships - not every time, but complete shutdown is the only solution.

I thought this had been fixed. I'm getting black screens when leaving SRVs or ships - not every time, but complete shutdown is the only solution.
It definitely has not been fixed. My friend still gets this pretty often. Up to 4 times in 6 hours when doing a lot of surface stuff. He doesn't play much any more because of it. I used to get it a lot in the beginning, but don't get it any more except extremely rarely. Though I did a lot of things with port forwarding and graphics settings, but I don't know what made it stop.

I think it's mostly network related...

I haven't had it for a long time, it used to happen if I hit exit quickly after going to the crotch panel, for me it seems to have stopped after I decided to wait for a bit longer after hitting the crotch panel but maybe that doesn't work for everyone. I wait until at least the avatar is generated, exiting before everything is loaded seemed to be an issue.

I didn't get it at all when this thread was first created and used to wonder what it was all about. It's started to happen recently - with nothing changed, as far as I know.

I haven't had it for a long time, it used to happen if I hit exit quickly after going to the crotch panel, for me it seems to have stopped after I decided to wait for a bit longer after hitting the crotch panel but maybe that doesn't work for everyone. I wait until at least the avatar is generated, exiting before everything is loaded seemed to be an issue.
I used to see it every few weeks, but it sorted of tailed off and I rarely see it now.

I never noticed a correlation with anything I did and I still often leave the first time in a session before my avatar shows up, after the first time it is pretty much there immediately.

Second to that, I only ever seem to get the infinite black when exiting the ship/SRV before the loadout avatars are generated. If I wait when the menu is fully loaded, everything works as intended.

Second to that, I only ever seem to get the infinite black when exiting the ship/SRV before the loadout avatars are generated. If I wait when the menu is fully loaded, everything works as intended.

Yeah, but as said in the end it appears to be a network related issue, I suspect it's downloading stuff to the game and if we click through too fast we exit that process early before it finishes and we get a black screen crash. The game should of course be written to take impatient users into account and simply pause while it finishes what it needs to do, so definitely a bug of sorts, but a longer wait does seem to fix it for me and some other players.

It's fantastic when this glitch hits you on a power-on mission.

When you get back into the game after relogging, all lockers and data points are empty! \o/

I had a brown-trousers minute this week when I casually landed my Ody mission Vulture under fire for an alerted settlement raid, when I deployed the SRV the screen faded to black as usual but just stayed that way, keypresses were unresponsive. The audio was still working, so I waited a bit to see if I'd get control back. That is, until I heard the message "Shields offline", at which point I did whatever I could to kill the game (GeforceNow so no task manager for me). When I relaunched the game I found myself in my intact ship a few km above the settlement, and mission attempt #2 went perfectly (although no mats to collect).

Last edited:
I experience the black screen when boarding my SRV only when I am in team mode with a friend. He is experiencing the same but more frequently (he's using VR, I am not). The problem progresses over the evening with some seconds black at the first few boardings until the moment comes when one of us is stuck in the black screen which does not change. Must be a problem with instancing+network but we can't repro that because there are evenings when it doesn't happen at all.

Happens to me about 1/20 times I leave the ship, sometimes I can press escape and just relog, other times I have to close the game in task manager. I play a lot of other demanding games and my PC is rock-solid stable, however, my network is 5G (a good signal, so great 99.999% of the time) I'm assuming it must be related to that if others don't experience it. Of course, it could be other things but that's just my guess.

I used to get that all the time too. I messed with some things. But unscientifically, so when it stopped doing it I can't relate it to a particular thing I did. But I did mess around with port forwarding on the PC and Router. It almost never happens for me any more.

My feeling is that it's the hand off between Horizons and Odyssey modes. We know they rushed to get Odyssey out when it wasn't ready for prime time. Since a lot of times you can still hear the game in the background of the black screen I think it fails to initialize the new screen in Odyssey. Why that is, only an expert could figure out. I wish I knew as my friend won't play any more because he gets it 1 in about 5 times getting out of a ship or SRV.

Top Bottom