Building a Gaming PC- Planet Zoo top priority

So I'm thinking about buying a new gaming PC! I haven't owned a desktop in quite a while, so I'm a bit apprehensive about building one. I know I'll play plenty of other games, but Planet Zoo is the main motivation behind this.

I'm thinking some more experienced gamers can give me a few tips. I'm aware of the recommended requirements, but I want to have fun making this new computer, and hopefully playing on it as well.

Kikoman Soyboss

I usually play at really high resolutions. My budget is kind of flexible. I've seen some Alienware starting around $820.00 and Digital Storm (I really have never heard of them) from around $1,440.00.

Thing is I'm willing to spend more money as long as the computer is worth what I'm paying. I guess what I want to know is ballpark how much money other people would spend on a new gaming computer?

I will not suggest a different setup, just add some thoughts.
I would go with a 2 TB m2 SDD instead of two 2,5" . Better performance and raid 0 is something I would avoid. You could also go with a single 1TB ssd ( I still would prefer m2) and add a big hard drive (4,6,8 GB) as storage for "slow" data.....which you could do anyway.

And as you "play at really high resolutions" you need a 4K monitor....which could be around 250 $/€ but depending on quality, size, refresh rates could be also 500 and more.
( but maybe you already have a extra monitor for your notebook)

The 5700 XT is suitable for 4K, sure you could go with a 2080 super or even a 2080 TI ...but we don't want to flex out your budget for a couple of frames ;-)

Memory...I would go right to 2*16 GB 3600. It's still kind of cheap these days and if you don't like to manage your opened programs...it's worth it.

Nowhere did I mention raid 0. I went with 2, 1 TB drives because if one should tank you are not dead in the water. Also DO NOT go with 32GB of RAM, it is not used in gaming and you probably will not get the 3600 XMP profile to pass the post test. Even with a loaded zoo im using about 8GB.

Also DO NOT go with 32GB of RAM, it is not used in gaming and you probably will not get the 3600 XMP profile to pass the post test. Even with a loaded zoo im using about 8GB.
Sure 32 GB is not mandatory just a cheap option to be prepared for other future things.
But don't spread this obsolete advise, that is related to early 16GB sticks and early AGESA, meanwhile 2*16 3600 works pretty well, even on B450.

RAM is actually pretty cheap - even when games aren't using atm.
With the introduction of the new PS/Xbox and the recently released video of the new unreal engine - I wouldn't be surprised that in-the-near-future PC games will need more.
That wouldn't be a bad investment.

I would switch it. Post your question on a computer forum - I don't think a video game forum is the best way to get proper advice on building. Tell them you want to properly play this game but maybe some other examples as well. Like "I'd like to play RDR2 on the highest setting" (even if you don't own the game :p ).

I understand you can be a bit apprehensive about building your own pc.
And atm, some parts are a bit more expensive because of low stock/poor supply.

I own a HP Pavilion 595-p0958nd, and running the game on high settings (basic setting for Ultra is good most times but a close call), but in overall runs pretty good. Large zoos are a bit laggy but even people with a better pc have similar issues.
(should improve when I install the game on my SSD - but that was a specific choice)

Without too much details, the most important ones for my PC (not a gaming pc ofc.)

Intel Core i7-8700
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (personally I consider this the absolute minimum for a new PC)

RAM is cheap but I'd rather save the 100+ dollars and either invest in other components or not spend it before going 32GB. Its really not needed for a gaming rig and can always be added later.

That being said NL is completely correct.. prices are high. Prices are inflated but you have NVidia releasing Ampere for the home by the end of the year, same with Ryzen 4K desktop parts and possibly Big Navi out by the end of the year. Market is going to be shaken up a fair bit on top of the current uncertainty. Also at some point the global recession will hit pricing for components. It may be worth waiting 6 months to see how the market shakes out and the newer components are bench marked.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll go ahead and take this to a computers forum. But all the same I think with some good research on what you've shared I'll have a good idea of what I want.

Hello, I'm gonna grab the topic.
I would have a used PC here that I could afford.

Do you think Planet Zoo runs well on PC?

MAINBOARD : MSI Z87-GD65
CPU : INTEL I7 4770K Oc 4.2 Ghz 4C/8T
GPU : MSI GTX 970
RAM : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 4x4 Gb 2133 MHz
NETZTEIL : BE QUIT 500 WATT
SSD : SAMSUNG 120 GB
HDD : SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB
COOLER : CORSAIR H100 240MM WASSERKÜHLUNG
GEHÄUSE : PHANTEKS P300 MIDI TOWER MIT TEMPERED GLASS WINDOW PANEL
LÜFTER : 2 x 120 MM RED LICHT

CPU : INTEL I7 4770K Oc 4.2 Ghz 4C/8T
GPU : MSI GTX 970

Judging on these 2, i'm going with no.
It will run PZ but well translated to smooth (for me personally)
Well it's on the recommended side of the specs, I consider this the minimum. (graphics card is an old one)

I would say it's ok and should be suitable for FHD.

The CPU is compared to other 4 Cores still somewhat competetive
and PZ might benefit from the 4.2 ghz more than from a slower 6 core cpu (alltough i'm a multi core freak...but so what)
The GTX970 is 2 generations behind, but not really slow, it's only downside is that it has only 4 GB RAM, but with a bit lower texture settings it should be no problem.

Thanks, it is used and I am not demanding in terms of graphics, of course I would be happy if I could play on "high", but lower would also be fine.

The main thing is that I can have more than 500 visitors to my zoo and more than 70 animals without it immediately becoming unplayable.

Then I'll get it and hopefully play from Wednesday!

I wouldn't think you would have much of a problem with that computer if it was taken care of properly. I am running a quad-core i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz and a GTX 970 with all graphic settings on high. I usually play with between 4,000 to 7,000 guests and 30 to 60 animal species so I think you will enjoy it!

Top Bottom