Building Starports in Deep Space

It would be a good idea to build starport and outposts in deep space between star systems at random. Some commanders like to explore deep (interstellar) space in a system. But by the time they get there, they're almost out of fuel and can't reach the next star system when they're half way there for example. Therefore ideal starport/outposts would act as Relay Fuel Stations having refuel service for ships traveling in interstellar space in supercruise speed.

I tested the Sidewinder Mk I recently and saw that It can reach over 3.00 Ly distance without refueling in supercruise speed. The stations could be built 3.00 Ly apart depending on the distance between two star systems from a system's star. Please note that the Sidewinder had no cargo extension nor shield during the test. The fuel tank was extended to the max replacing supercruise and docking assistant modules. Finally, deep space is also a good place for nonsubscribed PC stations, but then capital (fleet) ships are coming into market this month and would be 'out there' between star systems for small ships to dock.

In advance, a beacon for commanders to deploy and set to either private for them to lock on and return or public for other commanders to lock on and explore would be ideal. Space can be used as storage points for private (jettisoned) or public (abandoned) canisters of items and a beacon would help finding them easier.

The Personal Fleet Carriers (aka Personal Mobile Bases) that FD have announced for release later this year are perhaps a better and more lore consistent option.

As for running out of fuel while exploring, that is a matter of planning, selecting an appropriate ship, and equipping it accordingly - a Sidewinder is not the most ideal ship to use for exploration, but it can be done.

[EDIT]I suggest you look at Fuel Scoops.[/EDIT]

Until FDev eventually implements 'rogue planets' (planets that have been torn from their original solar system and now drift in the interstellar void) as their own system-type, we're unlikely to have space stations in the middle of nowhere.

Until FDev eventually implements 'rogue planets' (planets that have been torn from their original solar system and now drift in the interstellar void) as their own system-type, we're unlikely to have space stations in the middle of nowhere.
Even then, I doubt it will happen - we probably will only see rogue planets as temporary features of any given system - c/f comets.

Any rogue planet would have to be a system in itself to allow for instancing.
Due to this point...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_object said:
Due to present observational difficulties, an interstellar object can usually only be detected if it passes through the Solar System, where it can be distinguished by its strongly hyperbolic trajectory, indicating that it is not gravitationally bound to the Sun.[2][3] In contrast, gravitationally bound objects follow elliptic orbits around the Sun, like most asteroids, comets, and objects in the Oort cloud.
I think it is highly unlikely that rogue planets (a form of interstellar object) are likely to be modelled as systems in themselves.

Any rogue planet would have to be a system in itself to allow for instancing.

Well I suppose they could put them really far out in a system so that they appeared to be half way between one system and the next and put interesting stuff on them and not include them on the system map so they could be discovered by chance by intrepid explorers, but we all know exactly what would happen then right? Exactly what happens with Hutton Orbital, some people would complain it wasn't fair and there should be a way to jump to them quickly because the were being robbed of content because they were to impatient to spend the hours flying so in the end the entire exercise would be utterly pointless!

I would say the main problem is how would you power that station?
Fossile fuels from the rogue planet you orbit? You have no sun for solar panels or to scoop fuel.

I would say the main problem is how would you power that station?
Fossile fuels from the rogue planet you orbit? You have no sun for solar panels or to scoop fuel.
Fossil fuels are unlikely unless the planet was previously ejected from a system and had previously had life.

But this is basically the same problem as any station in brown dwarf systems at the moment - or even many of the M-class stars. Presumably they use nuclear reactors (more likely fusion than fission) and ship in the fuel from elsewhere.

But this is basically the same problem as any station in brown dwarf systems at the moment - or even many of the M-class stars. Presumably they use nuclear reactors (more likely fusion than fission) and ship in the fuel from elsewhere.
Actually I assume it is possible the get fuel from all stars, after all, they are all "burning".
Only that making it usable requires either more equipment than you can fit in a ship or more time.
But whatever fuel you use on a station you will have to carry it there. And carrying it for 3 hours is not very efficient and why would you want a station that far out? If you want to keep it secret (pirate base?) you don't want regular transports. Or is it a research station that has to be as far from a sun as possible?

but then capital (fleet) ships are coming into market this month and would be 'out there' between star systems for small ships to dock.
I think you should check your sources again. This month's update is about something different. Fleet carriers (I assume that's what you ment by capital ships) are scheduled for December.

As for your idea, as Bigmaec said, you can't reach next star system via supercruise. Actually, you can, but when you arrive, the space will be empty - no planets, no stations, nothing - you need to do FSD jump to load the system. So it's pointless to fly there in SC because of game engine limitation reasons.
If you're curious how it looks like:

Also, even if that kind of way of travelling between systems would be possible, existence of FSD drive and ability to instantly jump to your destination makes creating this kind of infrastructure absolutely pointless from economical point of view.

I think you should check your sources again. This month's update is about something different. Fleet carriers (I assume that's what you ment by capital ships) are scheduled for December.

As for your idea, as Bigmaec said, you can't reach next star system via supercruise. Actually, you can, but when you arrive, the space will be empty - no planets, no stations, nothing - you need to do FSD jump to load the system. So it's pointless to fly there in SC because of game engine limitation reasons.
If you're curious how it looks like:

Also, even if that kind of way of travelling between systems would be possible, existence of FSD drive and ability to instantly jump to your destination makes creating this kind of infrastructure absolutely pointless from economical point of view.

I see your point Florenus through the video. Yes, I meant Fleet carriers and I didn't know it was for December, I thought it was September. Thanks, and you too Bigmaec!

Actually I assume it is possible the get fuel from all stars, after all, they are all "burning".
Only that making it usable requires either more equipment than you can fit in a ship or more time.
But whatever fuel you use on a station you will have to carry it there. And carrying it for 3 hours is not very efficient and why would you want a station that far out? If you want to keep it secret (pirate base?) you don't want regular transports. Or is it a research station that has to be as far from a sun as possible?

I hope you put "burning" in quotes because you are aware that stars don't "burn."

Compared to the amount of energy required to jump through space to stars the amount of energy required to keep a station functioning would be miniscule, one jump worth of energy would probably provide energy to run a station for quite a few thousand years, so powering the station isn't an issue, the point of existence is an issue, pirates? Why put a base so far from all your prey, research? Nothing there yet. In the future maybe there will be some reason, but I can't see one at the moment.

Top Bottom