Bump ahead for WMR headsets...

1703156745591.png

Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/deprecated-features

O7,
🙃

That's concerning, especially as it's very unclear if they will remove the feature in future versions of Windows (i.e. not offer it anymore), or if I will turn on my PC one day and find my HMD being a brick because they actively delete it from my system.

Is this a hint to start looking for a new headset? Where does one go from a G2 if Meta isn't and option (it is not)? I really like my G2...

Well there seems to be a little mote info on this:

https://www.uploadvr.com/windows-mixed-reality-headset-support-end-date/ said:
"As of Nov. 1, 2026 for consumers and Nov. 1, 2027 for commercial customers, Windows Mixed Reality will no longer be available for download via the Mixed Reality Portal app, Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, and Steam VR beta, and we will discontinue support.

[...]

Existing Windows Mixed Reality devices will continue to work with Steam until users upgrade to a version of Windows that does not include Windows Mixed Reality."

And Defender too?

Only for Edge for Business.

That's concerning, especially as it's very unclear if they will remove the feature in future versions of Windows (i.e. not offer it anymore), or if I will turn on my PC one day and find my HMD being a brick because they actively delete it from my system.

If one installs a feature update (a major version increment) to a version that doesn't support the feature, then it will be removed.

Yeah I am still on 10, and will probably be until October 2025, so I hope I'm safe-ish.

There aren't likely to be any more feature updates for Windows 10. 22H2 is likely it and since WMR is part of 22H2, it's not going anywhere for Windows 10.

Not sure how many more feature updates Windows 11 will get. Regardless, it's possible to disable feature updates while still getting security updates.

:mad:

I'm not surprised at evil Microsoft. I wonder if HP will do anything to keep their hardware going? 🤔 (I have my doubts though)

Top Bottom